Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: The Art of the Fanny Pack

Name:  spiritous sys.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  54.0 KB

I've still got my black leather pack from the 80's. I messaged Spiritous Systems to see about the availability of this pack and unfortunately it was a very small run. Kind of neat though.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Looks like a HPG chest rig in action here.

That elk is tripping balls.
    "Y'all got anymore of that yellow rope?

Site Supporter
    What if the real art of the Fanny pack is to have an enticing thing to rob in plain view while your tools are hidden elsewhere on your body?
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Attachment 110407

Full size M&P blue gun in the medium Belt Pack.
    Yes, for a full size gun the Medium Belt Pack is going to be a necessity.

I gave a Snubby sized belt pack. It really is for very small guns. An M&P Shield is about the biggest gun I’d put in a Snubby.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    Yes, for a full size gun the Medium Belt Pack is going to be a necessity.

I gave a Snubby sized belt pack. It really is for very small guns. An M&P Shield is about the biggest gun I’d put in a Snubby.
    The Snubby footprint was originally designed to carry a Glock 19 and I have carried one in it but you’re then limited to what else you can put in the other pockets. I generally use my snub size for a Shield Plus

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The Snubby footprint was originally designed to carry a Glock 19 and I have carried one in it but you’re then limited to what else you can put in the other pockets. I generally use my snub size for a Shield Plus
    The snubby size will fit a G19 with absolutely nothing else added. With an internal holster and a Langton Tactical grip anchor the fit starts getting tight enough to concern me re: premature zipper wear.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The snubby size will fit a G19 with absolutely nothing else added. With an internal holster and a Langton Tactical grip anchor the fit starts getting tight enough to concern me re: premature zipper wear.
    I’ve tried a G19 in my Snubby, and I’ve found with my hand there isnt enough room to reliably develop a full grip with the pistol inside the bag. Thus the move down to a smaller handgun.

I’ve ordered and received another Eberlestock bag in blue/gray but haven’t put it into action just yet.

Here’s some shameless mirror selfies that show that with a little attention, even concealment can be kinda-sorta achieved. After many days and years of wearing a duty belt 12-plus hours a day, I’m enjoying the lighter burden when I’m on my time, yet still feeling capable of responding to a situation with appropriate tools when necessary.

I’m carrying in more of a cross-draw position which based on my body shape feels (subjective) best for me. I’ve been practice the draw and it still requires two hands for quickest access and retrieval, but even single handed, it can be accomplished.

Name:  IMG_5317.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5319.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  67.6 KB

A Sig P239 rides securely in the dedicated pistol pocket, decently securely and oriented correctly. I’m not sure how much bigger a pistol could be and still fit, but a 5” Government Model won’t fit, nor will an Glock 17. The Glock 19 is a tight right on this example.

Name:  IMG_5321.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  85.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by radiogeek View Post
    A few more notes that popped into my head:

1. I also took off 3 of the 4 giant zipper pulls and replaced them with 550 cord pulls. I left one on the gun pocket to rip and open.
    2. I tend to wear it more in a cross-draw position (I'm right handed) situated over to my left side. I usually wearing untucked lightweight shirts and the long tail seems to help cover it from odd stares from casual observers.
    3. It takes two hands free to get the gun out, one to pull the loop (left) and one to grab the gun (right). It's slow. It's a trade-off.
    4. I've been keeping it on the nightstand, because it's easy to throw on over my chonies for those bumps in the night and I know all my support gear is right there.

I'm trying to put together a low-viz med gear to keep in it without taking up too much space. The Phlster med wallet thing seems to fit the bill and keep everything tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    What if the real art of the Fanny pack is to have an enticing thing to rob in plain view while your tools are hidden elsewhere on your body?
    I resemble this remark, sometimes, except, of course, for the “fanny” part. These are waist pouches or belt bags; nothing particularly “fanny” about them.

Not that I want someone to “rob” my expensive prescription Oakley sunglasses, camera flash unit, lens, etc., but, yes, the waist pouch, or visible sling bag, can be used to carry non-weapon-y things, while defensive tools are kept concealed in/under clothing.

Having mentioned a camera flash unit, I will yet again mention that a compact but serious-looking camera, carried in-hand or on a strap, will make it appear quite normal for one to also be wearing a waist pouch/bag or sling bag. (Not that cameras are welcome everywhere, of course; plan accordingly.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I didn’t have the opportunity to set a holster up in the Kelty but I’ve been using it quite a bit. Comfortable and convenient way to carry phone, wallet, chapstick and gum. Had an unexpected trip to the ER yesterday and slipped a few protein bars into the ccw compartment.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List