Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The Art of the Fanny Pack

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by radiogeek View Post
    I've been using the Eberlestock Bando Bag for a few weeks now as an occasional carry option with a Sig P239 or Glock 19. Fit is just about right for both, but not much extra room for anything bigger. I prefer carrying the P239, since I feel comfortable sans holster with the DA trigger. Spare mag, wallet, badge, keys. My issue is that I ordered the multi-cam pack, which stands out a little. I just ordered the blue/gray version so maybe a little lower profile. It's got some organization dividers inside, which are nice to keep things in place and from just bumping around into each other. My issue always has been trying to carry too much and taking a minimalist setup and making it into a war-rig. The Bando Bag helps me to keep that to a minimum.
    A few more notes that popped into my head:

1. I also took off 3 of the 4 giant zipper pulls and replaced them with 550 cord pulls. I left one on the gun pocket to rip and open.
    2. I tend to wear it more in a cross-draw position (I'm right handed) situated over to my left side. I usually wearing untucked lightweight shirts and the long tail seems to help cover it from odd stares from casual observers.
    3. It takes two hands free to get the gun out, one to pull the loop (left) and one to grab the gun (right). It's slow. It's a trade-off.
    4. I've been keeping it on the nightstand, because it's easy to throw on over my chonies for those bumps in the night and I know all my support gear is right there.

I'm trying to put together a low-viz med gear to keep in it without taking up too much space. The Phlster med wallet thing seems to fit the bill and keep everything tidy.
    I’ve ordered and received another Eberlestock bag in blue/gray but haven’t put it into action just yet.

Here’s some shameless mirror selfies that show that with a little attention, even concealment can be kinda-sorta achieved. After many days and years of wearing a duty belt 12-plus hours a day, I’m enjoying the lighter burden when I’m on my time, yet still feeling capable of responding to a situation with appropriate tools when necessary.

I’m carrying in more of a cross-draw position which based on my body shape feels (subjective) best for me. I’ve been practice the draw and it still requires two hands for quickest access and retrieval, but even single handed, it can be accomplished.

Attachment 110641

Attachment 110642

A Sig P239 rides securely in the dedicated pistol pocket, decently securely and oriented correctly. I’m not sure how much bigger a pistol could be and still fit, but a 5” Government Model won’t fit, nor will an Glock 17. The Glock 19 is a tight right on this example.

Attachment 110643
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I resemble this remark, sometimes, except, of course, for the “fanny” part. These are waist pouches or belt bags; nothing particularly “fanny” about them.

Not that I want someone to “rob” my expensive prescription Oakley sunglasses, camera flash unit, lens, etc., but, yes, the waist pouch, or visible sling bag, can be used to carry non-weapon-y things, while defensive tools are kept concealed in/under clothing.

Having mentioned a camera flash unit, I will yet again mention that a compact but serious-looking camera, carried in-hand or on a strap, will make it appear quite normal for one to also be wearing a waist pouch/bag or sling bag. (Not that cameras are welcome everywhere, of course; plan accordingly.)
    I”ve been circling around this for a while. I’ve tried using my HPG Kit Bag Recon for hiking and hunting, and it’s great for that, but not so good for road cycling - yes, I tried it out, and it worked, but it puts this big thing on my chest that I sweat under and a harness all over me that adds to more sweating. We have a small Bianchi branded waist pack no one ever really used that is for a very small gun - the largest it will hold is a G42, which is fine for cycling. The whole thing worked until the zipper quickly got messed up, making the draw iffy, and the straps don’t adjust and tuck neatly, which makes it not cool or even likely to be used for cycling because floppy straps are right out. Plus, it is a very tactical black bag.

This fall, I was training for a longer distance cycling race, so I got an Osprey Savu 5 waist pack (on sale) that is designed for that kind of thing, and I really like it. It has dividers, organizers, and 2 small accessory bags on the belt, spots for extra water bottles. There’s room for sunglasses case, snacks, spare tubes, CO2 cartridges, SAK, tool kit, roll up bike lock, ID/small wallet, and a small gun and spare ammo, but that put a lot of weight on my lower back while in a compromised riding position (road bike with racing geometry) which really made my low back sore. I did use it for training rides and one charity ride. But eventually, I decided to get some of the weight off my waist and got an under-saddle bag to hold all of the tools and spares. Well, then I had more room for more snacks and gear, or too much space for what I’m actually going to need to carry on my waist for a 1-2 hour training ride, and really it’s more room than I need to have for a supported long distance race. I will probably still use it for longer distance, unsupported rides, especially if I get a more relaxed geometry bike, but for supported events (races or charity rides) I don’t need that much space, and only need the water bottles that are in the holders on the frame because I can refill them at SAG stops.

I reviewed the information given in this thread by @radiogeek on the Eberlestock Bando bag, and it looked like a good option to carry what I actually needed. Unfortunately, they were out of the Blue/Grey I wanted (to not look tactical - the area I live in has a lot of outdoor recreation and a military base, so it isn’t that big of a deal because everyone has some camo and military gear, but I travel to areas that are less easy about that kind of thing), and I was running out of time to get the bag and make sure it did what I needed it to do before the big event I was training for (El Tour de Tucson, a supported long-distance race). So I got the Coyote/Grey one they had in stock because it seemed like the least “tactical” option of the colors that were available when I ordered.

It will hold a G42, airweight J, or a G26 with no diffficulty (I have only done that with the G26 to prove that I could, it weighs more than I want to pack on the bike this way), or the 3913 or G44 (but I only put them in to see if they fit - I don’t carry either of them). It holds enough stuff, especially if I’m wearing a jersey with pockets to hold things like my sunglasses case and another spare tube. Nobody has said a word to me about it on training rides, group rec rides, or at the race last month.

I haven’t yet made any alterations to the bag - the pull loops are all still on it, and I haven’t added a loop to the inside of the weapon pocket yet, but may do things like that as time goes on. I usually just carry a 442 in it in a pocket holster to keep it from rattling around and add a little padding, so the tether tie point hasn’t been a big deal. I have trigger guard holsters for standard Glocks (G26/G19X/G44) so I will probably add a tether tie point. I have a trigger guard holster with a pocket hook for the G42 that fits nicely in the loop that came velcroed to the inside of the weapon pocket, and reliably releases the gun when drawn from it, so sometimes I use that instead of the 442.

I could maybe see me actually wearing the Eberlestock for more mundane day-to-day carry, and not just for cycling. It is well made, and looks nice and not “tactical”.

The Eberlestock waist strap is *much* better designed for adjustability and neatness than the Bianchi. The Osprey Savu has a wide range of adjustability, but still has some potentially floppy straps, partly as a result of that. It has some adjustable sections on the rest of the pack that have floppy straps, too. I think it would be a better mountain bike waist pack than road bike, but I don’t ride mountain bikes, so I guess I really don’t know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    "Junk Sack Fallout" wins the P-F prize for the worst product name of the year. It is wrong on many levels.

The pack itself looks pretty good.
    IDK, I think for me 'Junk Sack Splatter' both wins that prize and also puts catchy title on that thing that every AIWB guy fears...

https://shieldarms.com/junk-sack-splatter

Site Supporter
    Looks like Wilderness has one now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Looks like Wilderness has one now.
    And apparently Bolke had a hand in it!

https://www.thewilderness.com/waist-...er-waist-pack/

Site Supporter
    I picked up a shield arms bag a month or so ago. I've just been monkeying with it so far.

https://shieldarms.com/junk-sack-black

I have hand issues, so I really like the magnet closure. No problem getting the bag open, and it is fast. I think I would struggle with a zipper draw with my weak hand -- I do not have much dexterity in my hand.

My M&P 2.0 compact is a tight fit with a Dale Fricke trigger guard holster (which I just got a week or so ago) but it seems to work in a diagonal orientation. There is a slight gap at the top of the holster, between the magnets, but the gun is not visible while wearing. With that larger gun, the draw is pretty intuitive for sort of a crossdraw angle. I secured the Dale Fricke holster with a lanyard through the drain holes in the bag.

I bounced the bag around upside down, and the unloaded gun stayed in the bag without movement.

I think my M&P subcompact would fit easily, and a 365 or something similar will be no problem to carry vertically, as I think Shield intended.

The material of the bag seems a little light, but there are pros and cons to that. It is well constructed. The front pocket is big enough to put a phone in easily.

The belt is sort of odd. The bag has clips that you attach the belt to with similar clips. I'm not sure that the detachable belt design makes sense. It seems like it adds failure/theft points. I think the belt could be thicker.

But, it seems like a novel design. It probably is better oriented toward a lighter gun like a 365, and maybe it would be nice for summer carry.

User Tag List