Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Full auto pistol gadget in the news

Site Supporter
    Second incident:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...0-a0128e31e1ff

According to authorities, at about 2:40 p.m., officers responded to a residence due to a possible domestic disturbance incident. When the suspect saw officers, he fled the scene in a vehicle and led officers on a chase, according to authorities.
    Finner said the suspect crashed at the intersection of McGowen and Hutchinson. When the officers in pursuit got out of their vehicles, the suspect opened fire with a fully automatic gun, according to Finner. Three officers were struck.
    Turner said one officer was shot in the foot, one was shot in the leg and the other was shot in the arm. All of their injuries are non-life-threatening.
    “They were a little bit shaken but relieved their loved ones will make a full recovery,” Finner said regarding the injured officers' families.

According to Finner, the suspect then carjacked a white Mercedes and got away. Finner said the suspect led officers to a home on Lockwood, where he opened fire again. Officers returned fire. It's unclear if the suspect was hit during this shootout, but no officers were struck.
    Finner said the suspect was barricaded inside the home and authorities worked to get him out. Police believe he was alone inside the home.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    They've been around for awhile, as mentioned already, but there has been a big uptick of them here for some reason. Word is apparently out. Fun fact, at inside the vehicle with your target/victim distances you can shoot someone a lot with one.
    The "uptick" is real, and widespread, because of 3D printing.

Here are a couple of examples in the news:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...BingNewsSearch

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...BingNewsSearch
    "Many are ordered online and shipped to the U.S., often from companies in China. They also can be easily 3D printed."

Site Supporter
    The Glock switches are starting to show up in ABQ in pretty decent numbers as well.

Having been friends with a couple of SOT's I've had a lot of chances to fire a full auto Glock, typically G17's in 9mm. Regardless of skill level, the cyclic rate alone makes it a pretty terrifying prospect at 'smack talking' distances. The old Russian joke of 'Quantity has a quality all its own' definitely applies.

IMHO, it's easier to control a full auto G17 than a comparable open bolt M11/9 or similar older subgun, just because the reciprocating weights involved are much less. The Glock is like a really feisty high pressure hose nozzle.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There are four wounded Officers in Houston and the surviving family of another Houston Officer killed on the line of duty who would disagree with you.

They only need to get lucky 1/33.

First incident:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...automatic/amp/

The man who shot and killed an HPD officer last week used an illegally modified handgun, bodycam footage shows
    Luck is always a factor. Maybe THE factor beyond surprise. And he had both.
    Honestly, would they have fared any better against a semiauto?
    The "virtue" of a machine pistol is no matter how much ammo your opponent has on board he is burning through it at a dizzying rate. Bad for the neighborhood behind you, terrifying no doubt, but effective? In their hands....not yours.

I think we're gonna find out with these being laser printable. They'll sell like hotcakes to the Instagram posturing crowd most likely to use them as murder weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Fun fact, at inside the vehicle with your target/victim distances you can shoot someone a lot with one.
    Kind of like how back in the 80s, people referred to the M10/M11s as 'phonebooth guns'.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Am I the only one worried that these and the 3d printed AR auto sears will be used as a backdoor route to executive action ie. making it out like Glocks and ARs are readily convertible to machine guns. I was a kid at the time but didn't something similar happen with TEC9's?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Am I the only one worried that these and the 3d printed AR auto sears will be used as a backdoor route to executive action ie. making it out like Glocks and ARs are readily convertible to machine guns. I was a kid at the time but didn't something similar happen with TEC9's?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    No. DIAS for ARs are nothing new. Wire coat hanger out of Sears, stamped sheet-metal “lightning Links” etc all have been around for decades.

The Tec9 was somewhat unique as it was an open bolt semi auto but it was ultimately lawsuits that killed the Tec9.

https://gatdaily.com/the-tec-9-a-history-of-infamy/?amp

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No. DIAS for ARs are nothing new. Wire coat hanger out of Sears, stamped sheet-metal “lightning Links” etc all have been around for decades.

The Tec9 was somewhat unique as it was an open bolt semi auto but it was ultimately lawsuits that killed the Tec9.

https://gatdaily.com/the-tec-9-a-history-of-infamy/?amp
    There were also a handful of open bolt semi-auto MAC-10's sold, from approximately 1977 to 1979 if memory serves. These were also easily converted like the early KG9's.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Luck is always a factor. Maybe THE factor beyond surprise. And he had both.
    Honestly, would they have fared any better against a semiauto?
    The "virtue" of a machine pistol is no matter how much ammo your opponent has on board he is burning through it at a dizzying rate. Bad for the neighborhood behind you, terrifying no doubt, but effective? In their hands....not yours.
    I would say more effective in their hands than ours.

The reason is because we play by rules, they don't. As HCM said, they only need to get lucky 1/33, and the increased rate of fire increases their chances of getting a hit in that fleeting moment they point a gun in your general direction. Their accuracy isn't any worse by using a full-auto vs a semi auto, as they're generally not practicing any sort of marksmanship standard to begin with.

On the other hand, we aim for 100% accountability of each round. Thus, a full auto pistol is much less useful to us than it is to someone operating outside the boundaries we have.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I would say more effective in their hands than ours.

The reason is because we play by rules, they don't. As HCM said, they only need to get lucky 1/33, and the increased rate of fire increases their chances of getting a hit in that fleeting moment they point a gun in your general direction. Their accuracy isn't any worse by using a full-auto vs a semi auto, as they're generally not practicing any sort of marksmanship standard to begin with.

On the other hand, we aim for 100% accountability of each round. Thus, a full auto pistol is much less useful to us than it is to someone operating outside the boundaries we have.
    Absolutely agree. 100% of those 33 rounds are going to hit something. We care what that something is, someone shooting our way does not. Provided that even minimal recoil control is maintained on their part, a high ROF just starts stacking those chances to not miss something I would rather was not hit (especially if I am a part of a group of people who I would prefer remain un-preforated).

User Tag List