Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Full auto pistol gadget in the news

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Yeah, there was that seized shipment of AK-like firearms (Type 56?) back in the 90s that had some odd, peripheral tie to a former mayor/US senator from the Bay Area.
    Wasn't that ultimately tied to one of her husband's companies? It sure seemed to drop out of the news quickly.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @JodyH do you happen to remember what podcast it was or have a link?
    Pretty sure it was one of the "ADV Podcasts"
    Two guys (one from S.Africa the other American) who lived in China for 15+ years, married to Chinese women and speak/read Chinese.
    Started as a motorcycle tour of China type podcast/video channel, has morphed into a all things China podcast.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Yeah, there was that seized shipment of AK-like firearms (Type 56?) back in the 90s that had some odd, peripheral tie to a former mayor/US senator from the Bay Area.
    To my knowledge there was no documented link to the person you’re referencing or her husband.

I think you are mixing two separate cases.

Operation Dragonfire was a 1996 US Customs investigation which resulted in the seizure of 2000 Chinese made AK-47 rifles at the port of Oakland from a COSCO container ship, the Empress Phoenix. It involved a Chinese businessman who was a contributor to the Clinton campaign and had so-called coffee meetings with President Clinton in the White House.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...246-story.html

U.S. FOILS MAJOR SMUGGLING OPERATION

About a year later in Otay Mesa California there was another shipment involving two containers full of AK-47s and RPGs which had come in via the Port of Long Beach enroute to Mexico for a Mexican Drug Cartel.

I believe the case involving the politician you were thinking of is the more recent case (2015/2016) involving smuggling weapons from the Philippines which involved ardent gun control advocate and former California state senator Leland Yee.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-trafficking/

Ex-Calif. State Sen. Leland Yee, gun control champion, heading to prison for weapons trafficking
    Last edited by HCM; 05-06-2022 at 05:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Back in 2000 I think the majority of buyers were just goofballs who wanted to play with them in abandoned quarries and a pre-9/11 FedGov didn't really want to waste time prosecuting so there were a bunch of home visits, confiscations and threats.
    I had them offered to me several times via GlockTalk PM's but it always smelled like a sting to me so I declined.

This latest Wish.com batch seems to have landed in the hands of inner city youths and are being used in new and more exciting ways.

BTW: for those of you who aren't up to speed, the Chinese government is fully onboard with doing things like arming gangs (along with meth and fentanyl) as revenge for the opium wars of the mid-1800's. I listened to a really good podcast on that topic a few months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Nothing new. Remember Norinco pre 94?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I don't buy into the trope about the Chinese being these great long term planners/thinkers but I do think the Chinese hold a grudge for a long fucking time.
    They do not forget their version of history.
    Before the tinfoil gets too thick, Arms companies in China like most companies in China or state run institutions. Did government officials know about the legal sale in smuggling of small arms to the US? Yes. Was that knowledge in a personal capacity because they are corrupt and like money or in an official capacity ? Who knows? And anyone who is in a position to know would not be talking about it on an open forum or a podcast.

Organized crime and corruption are deeply entrenched in Chinese society. Whether for personal profit, under official sanction, or both the Chinese have plenty of ties to Mexican drug cartels in relation to arm shipments, fentanyl, and precursor chemicals for manufacturing other drugs.

It’s clear the Chinese are not our friends but assigning motives to their actions is speculation.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-06-2022 at 06:06 PM.

Site Supporter
    Back in 2000 I think the majority of buyers were just goofballs who wanted to play with them in abandoned quarries and a pre-9/11 FedGov didn't really want to waste time prosecuting so there were a bunch of home visits, confiscations and threats.
    I had them offered to me several times via GlockTalk PM's but it always smelled like a sting to me so I declined.

This latest Wish.com batch seems to have landed in the hands of inner city youths and are being used in new and more exciting ways.

BTW: for those of you who aren't up to speed, the Chinese government is fully onboard with doing things like arming gangs (along with meth and fentanyl) as revenge for the opium wars of the mid-1800's. I listened to a really good podcast on that topic a few months ago.
    People have been making illegal Glock auto sears for a while but the cheap Chinese made (wish.com)?auto sears are a relatively recent phenomenon- within the last 5 years or so. It’s been an ongoing problem because they don’t come in in batches, they are individual orders which are shipped from China with false customs declarations regarding the contents.

We’ve had quite a few of them recovered in my city, including one which was installed on a Glock 23 which was pawned and offered for sake by the pawnshop after the gun was not redeemed.

We just see two more recently including one installed on a custom Zev Glock 17 with an RMR and comp, i.e. a full auto Roland special. That particular gun had the extractor blown out. It’s not uncommon for Glocks or clones shot with these auto switches to have either the back plate for the extractor blown out.

Our neighbors in Houston have seen quite a few of these two including at least two which were used to shoot police officers.

Even if we could stem the influx of wish.com sears from China, we are now starting to see 3D printed Glock Auto sears..

Other than the grave danger posed to everyone uprange of me, there's nothing I'd rather have a Utegoblin that accosts me be armed with than a full auto Glock with a stendo.
    It's tailor made for the prancing hysterical posturing of the Party's Sturmabteilung.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Other than the grave danger posed to everyone uprange of me, there's nothing I'd rather have a Utegoblin that accosts me be armed with than a full auto Glock with a stendo.
    It's tailor made for the prancing hysterical posturing of the Party's Sturmabteilung.
    Careful what you wish for. We *just* had a local Ute caught with exactly that (Wish full auto Glock with a 31 rounder) in his waistband. Off duty popo moonlighting as retail security ran him down after he shoplifted some small item. Taser came in to play during the arrest. Found the gat upon securing him. The Ute was out on bond in connection with two homicides - but guns are the problem you know.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

I’d be very surprised if for every Chinese auto gadget that comes in, there aren’t a dozen locally made ones. Rapid prototyping is widespread.

(Edit) I just realized HCM already touched on this above.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Careful what you wish for. We *just* had a local Ute caught with exactly that (Wish full auto Glock with a 31 rounder) in his waistband. Off duty popo moonlighting as retail security ran him down after he shoplifted some small item. Taser came in to play during the arrest. Found the gat upon securing him. The Ute was out on bond in connection with two homicides - but guns are the problem you know.
    With a semi, there is at least a nonzero chance that subsequent shots land in the same zip code.
    On full auto....nah.
    I'd also bet a PF dollar that malfunctions go way up-more than usual with dirtbag shooters.
    But, it's hard to articulate the complete contempt I have for these, uh, people. I had the privilege of being locked in a cage with a dozen juvenile murderers for a year.
    Plus 3 more with the "grownup" versions. I have more respect for malarial mosquitoes.
    They are literally only alive because it's illegal to kill them out of hand.
    But I don't have anger issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    There are four wounded Officers in Houston and the surviving family of another Houston Officer killed on the line of duty who would disagree with you.

They only need to get lucky 1/33.

First incident:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...automatic/amp/

The man who shot and killed an HPD officer last week used an illegally modified handgun, bodycam footage shows

The man who killed one Houston police officer and wounded another during an attempted arrest last month in north Harris County used an illegal modification to turn his handgun into a fully automatic weapon, police said on Tuesday.

"There is absolutely no reason or no room for our suspects to be armed like this," said Houston Police Chief Troy Finner after showing body camera footage of the shooting during a news conference with Houston-area law enforcement. "This is a threat that is here and it's a threat to everybody — law enforcement and citizens in every neighborhood in our community."

On Sept. 20, officers with Houston Police Department's major offenders division were executing a high-level narcotics warrant at an apartment complex on Aeropark Drive near Bush Intercontinental Airport, according to police. Body camera footage shows two officers knocking on the apartment door to arrest Deon Ledet, 30. The video shows a woman opening the door, and the officers asking her to step outside and call for Ledet to show himself.

About one minute later, just as an officer appears to be saying, "let's do this the easy way," he is interrupted by rapid gunfire coming from inside the apartment.

Senior police officer William "Bill" Jeffrey can immediately be seen falling to the ground. Sgt. Michael Vance was also hit with gunfire and can be seen crawling away from the door as other officers engage the shooter.

Both Jeffrey and Vance were transported to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where Jeffrey was pronounced dead. Vance was later released and is recovering from his injuries, police said.

Ledet was also killed in the shooting, which lasted about a minute and a half, the footage shows.

The shooter’s handgun was equipped with an illegal switch that can essentially turn a semi-automatic handgun into a machine gun, according to police. The switch by itself is considered a machine gun under federal law, according to acting U.S. Attorney Jennifer Lowery. Possession or transfer of a switch carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in federal prison.

Last year, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ Houston division made seven arrests and seized 104 switches, along with 11 handguns that already had a switch installed, according to Fred Milanowski, special agent in charge at the Bureau’s Houston division.

Milanowski said the switches have become increasingly prevalent in the Houston area.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-07-2022 at 10:09 AM.

User Tag List