Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Modifications you should make to a 1911 - Bill Wilson & Massad Ayoob

Appreciate the discussion, a lot. Every once in a while, I contemplate the prospect of "having the 1911 experience". And here one of these threads pops up. I find it very informative to listen to you guys discuss the pros and cons from an actual owner / shooter point of view. So far I'm not ready to make that plunge from a $ and time point of view. I don't have to expend any resources but I feel like I learn a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Appreciate the discussion, a lot. Every once in a while, I contemplate the prospect of "having the 1911 experience". And here one of these threads pops up. I find it very informative to listen to you guys discuss the pros and cons from an actual owner / shooter point of view. So far I'm not ready to make that plunge from a $ and time point of view. I don't have to expend any resources but I feel like I learn a good bit.
    Rich,

Whenever your meanderings bring you back to the Corpus area, you can shoot mine.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    That being said, I'm 59 and these kind of articles/videos have been around (plentifully, to say the least) basically saying the same thing for 40 years or so...
    The 1911 is to firearms media what the small block Chevy is to aftermarket car performance media.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    This video would have been more pertinent in the early 1980s.
    Pretty much sums it up.

Could be subtitled, "Massage Aboob Shills for the Watchmaker"

I think I saw Mas react to getting flagged with a series 70 at the beginning…

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

The 1911 trigger is the best trigger on any pistol. I believe that is one reason that it has endured so long.

In the 90’s I had a 1911 built that had similar features to what is the current Garrison model. At the time you had to pay a gunsmith to get that type of gun. Now you can buy it over the counter. Everyone is correct in saying that the recommended features have not changed since when Bill started customizing guns. But what he is saying is still good advice for what to look for in a 1911.

I have a friend who bought a Rock Island Armory 1911 to learn about 1911’s. He bought this EGW trigger kit.

https://www.egwguns.com/egw-ignition...ghtened-hammer

He swapped parts out with no special fitting. The trigger was incredible.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Stuff like this is old hat to me but at the same time...whenever I hang out with boat guys who aren't hard core gun guys that own boats, but hard core boat guys that own a gun or two...they ask me stuff about guns and in particular 1911s since I've built a few of those and make no secret of my pointless and atavistic enjoyment of that platform.

Anyway, the number of guys who've asked questions that are basically the ground covered by this video is probably in the dozens. I bet it's the the most common thing I get asked about that isn't "what 1911 should I get" but it almost is the answer to that question, as well.

I think it's easy to forget that the PFC readership represents a tiny component of gun culture. We all know this, but at the same time, I think when we see stuff that's aimed at a broader audience, we forget this and say "I don't need that."

Which may be true, but it remains needed. I'll save this one in my list of stuff I send out to people who've asked questions as they look for a first 1911, because the advice is good, and the pedigree of the guys is recognizable even to most fairly casual gun enthusiasts.

Personally, I can't do GI tang safeties: ever since my hands were replaced with the paws of an actual gorilla in a groundbreaking but fictional operation forty years ago, the amount of meat on them means the web piles up over the safety when I grip it as high as is typical for me.

I want a beavertail, Novaks or similar, an extended safety which I prefer to be long but narrow, a clean trigger, and front strap checkering or serrations. Everything else is a bit negotiable to me but that's the basis of a 1911 I'm going to like, assuming the function stuff is all good like the barrel timing etc. I can be a bit flexible on thumb safeties but I don't like the original nubs that much. On guns I have built for myself I grind the frame and tang safety up and forward for a higher grip, but it's not critical IMO.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    <Snip> ... I think it's easy to forget that the PFC readership represents a tiny component of gun culture. We all know this, but at the same time, I think when we see stuff that's aimed at a broader audience, we forget this and say "I don't need that."
    This statement is gold.

I don't think of myself being very knowledgeable (and I am not compared to most of you gents/ladies), but I am the goto guy for a lot of folks regarding gun stuff.

User Tag List