Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 5906 Extractor

S&W 5906 Extractor

I’ve got a very nice condition 3rd generation S&W 5906 on the way and plan on shooting this thing. I knew the parts situation going in. Pretty much found everything except extractors. Checked Midwest Gunworks, EBay, Gun Broker, Numrich, Googled, etc. Nothing! Anyone have one they want to sell or know of a source?

Edited to add: For those of you experienced with the 3rd Gen Smith’s what parts are the most necessary to stock with the current scarcity of parts?
    Last edited by Dcowboyscr; 01-10-2022 at 01:16 PM.

I was an armorer at a 5906 department from 98 to 06. The most frequently replaced part was the recoil spring. I also replaced quite a few extractors and some sear release levers. The extractors and the sear release levers required careful fitting. There were some gauges necessary for fitting the extractors, I don’t know how available those would be.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, I don't think the extractor situation is great on the 3rd gens.

I see parts kits for 5906s, 6906s etc. come up on ebay and gunbroker now and then (like, basically the full gun, minus the frame). You can also find slides sometimes that have the extractor still in them. But, like BobM said, they weren't really designed to drop in without fitting. And I've also read that you need that go/no-go gauge. So... even if you find one... you know...

That said, I've shot my 6904, 645 and 5906 a decent amount (plus other 3rd gens I've had over the years) and I've never had a damaged extractor.

Under normal use, is extractor breakage common in 3rd gens? Anything specific that would cause it to break? I figure avoiding shitty steel-case ammo and not closing the slide on chambered rounds is a good start. I'm curious because I like my 3rd gens and I'd like to keep shooting them.

Site Supporter
    Recoil springs. If you can’t find OEM (not easy anymore) Wolff makes them, or did, last I checked. They should be replaced once in a while.

Recoil spring guide - good to have a spare.

Side plate - if it gets sprung, it’s done and must be replaced. In that case, the gun is deadlined (will not run) until the side plate is replaced. This is a stamping and is not hard to damage when taking out or re-installing. Importantly, in all the years I’ve owned Gen 3s, I’ve never taken one off. IIRC, they are more likely to get sprung from getting taken off and re-installed than from use.

As far as extractors go, again, I’ve never taken one out or had one go. I’ve heard of it, but not experienced it.

My new to me 5926 was failing to extract at least one round of WWB and Norma FMJ. I ordered a replacement extractor from Numrich today, and then went to the range with different brands of ammo. CCI Blazer aluminum case FMJ ran perfectly, but the guys at the range said aluminum tears up extractors. I carry this sucker, so the Sig Elite JHP is the only ammo I rely on.

ORIGINAL
    Name:  F0948207-36A1-4035-8B7B-B3D4D58C53EB.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  30.3 KB

SUBSTITUTE
    Name:  BF97A137-5E9B-4F13-8A6C-928D8AF7EE75.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  38.1 KB

Im pretty sure no carry ammo is aluminum. Besides the last people I'd take advice from is gun store/range guys. Since 1998 I predominantly shoot steel and aluminum. Have yet to change a single extractor.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Im pretty sure no carry ammo is aluminum. Besides the last people I'd take advice from is gun store/range guys. Since 1998 I predominantly shoot steel and aluminum. Have yet to change a single extractor.
    One of the guys is a very successful professional shooter, and I don’t want to drop his name. I do know that the people who buy spent cases want it sorted, so that might have something to do with it.

I wouldn’t think aluminum could wreck a steel extractor, but I’ve been wrong about things before.
    That being said I’ve shot a lot of aluminum cased over the years and never had an extractor issue.

Site Supporter
    Hmm. That's surprising your 5926 was having FTEs. My 6904 and 5906 have been perfect in terms of feeding/extraction with all brass-cased ammo. Haven't really tried aluminum.

Does the extractor just need a new spring? I had a 39-2 that had a loose extractor and was FTEing--adding a fresh extractor spring helped eliminate that. Unfortunately, that gun wasn't all that reliable, in general. But... the spring did help the FTEs. I will say the extractor on my 5906 is very, very tight. Like, I can't really move it by pressing on it. There's also a little punch mark on the front of it--like it was inspected, or replaced, or... something.

And I've also heard that the extractor on 3rd gens is custom fit part. Fastbolt (on the Smith forum) also talks about the proprietary gauges 3rd gen armorers used to test extractor fit. But maybe there's other ways to get the right fit?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Hmm. That's surprising your 5926 was having FTEs. My 6904 and 5906 have been perfect in terms of feeding/extraction with all brass-cased ammo. Haven't really tried aluminum.

Does the extractor just need a new spring? I had a 39-2 that had a loose extractor and was FTEing--adding a fresh extractor spring helped eliminate that. Unfortunately, that gun wasn't all that reliable, in general. But... the spring did help the FTEs. I will say the extractor on my 5906 is very, very tight. Like, I can't really move it by pressing on it. There's also a little punch mark on the front of it--like it was inspected, or replaced, or... something.

And I've also heard that the extractor on 3rd gens is custom fit part. Fastbolt (on the Smith forum) also talks about the proprietary gauges 3rd gen armorers used to test extractor fit. But maybe there's other ways to get the right fit?
    I’ve google the daylights out of this issue, and saw Fastbolt’s forum responses. The new extractor should be here tomorrow, and the shop has a gunsmith. I’m just kicking my self for not function testing this pistol before buying it. They get used guns in, and just slap a price tag on them. I also have an extractor spring and pin in the order, along with a new recoil spring. It’s hard to understand why nickel cased, and aluminum case ammo cycles 100%, but not brass.

EDIT: I just spoke to S&W CS, and they said send it in, and they’ll repair or replace it (presumably with an M&P). The shop said their gunsmith will look at it once the parts are in, and let me know. This pistol is super nice if you disregard the FTE, but I don’t want gunsmith fees. The smith wouldn’t charge much, but… 🤷🏼🤷🏼🤷🏼

P.S. CS also said they don’t recommend anything but brass, so once again…🤷🏼🤷🏼🤷🏼
    Last edited by FrankB; 06-15-2022 at 01:37 PM.

User Tag List