This past weekend Randy Harris (HCS) put on his Red Dot Pistol Skills class at Windrock Shooting Range in Oliver Springs TN. I attended along with 7 other students.

I took a similar class in March from Aaron Cowan (Sage Dynamics) and had taken another about 3 years ago with Randy instructing a Suarez International course as well as having a few years experience shooting red dot equipped pistols. The technology continues to evolve/improve as do the methods to better use the RDS on pistols. The early adopters like Harris and Cowan have not only helped prove the concept, but are also constantly improving the methods for use and teaching of the RDS pistol.

Randy Harris is a known quantity to me. I have trained with him before and already knew him to be an excellent instructor. The Harris Combative Strategies RDPS (Randy's curriculum) is a big improvement over the course from 3 years ago. The best description of the class I can give would be "a wide presentation of information about the RDS and it's best use coupled with a precise boiling down of critical skills and drills to teach those skills". In other words, everything you need and nothing you don't.

Skills covered included:
-Basic marksmanship skills (independent of RDS)
-Quickly picking up the dot upon presentation
-Fast and effective use of the RDS at ANY distance, near or far (including alternate sighting methods)
-Learning proper use of the RDS (zero distances and hold overs at ranges near and far)
-Using the RDS to diagnose shooter mistakes/weaknesses in fundamentals (as a self learning tool)

These were just some, not all, of the skills covered in the class, not to mention the history/evolution of the RDS and it's use.

The HCS RDPS class was outstanding and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn to quickly and effectively use an RDS pistol.