Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New IDPA prospect

New IDPA prospect

Hey everyone. I’m really looking into getting into IDPA, but the nearest club that does it is about 180 miles away, so I can’t just pop in and say hi and get the gist from there, so I was hoping maybe someone can kinda give me an intro into IDPA, maybe some stuff you would have liked to know when getting into the sport.
    I know the basics such as having a completion legal pistol, magazines, mag holders, cover garment and PPE, anything else I need?
    What should I be aware of going my first time or going into orientation?
    On the topic of pistols, I don’t have immediate funds for an IDPA specific pistol, so if I were to start shooting soon, which I’d like to, I have two real options: Glock 21 and Glock 23. Here’s where I’m stuck at. Is the price difference in ammo worth it to shoot the bigger Glock 21, or would I be fine with the smaller 23? Kinda personal choices I know, but just want opinions.

Thank you all so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Tozir View Post
    Hey everyone. I’m really looking into getting into IDPA, but the nearest club that does it is about 180 miles away, so I can’t just pop in and say hi and get the gist from there, so I was hoping maybe someone can kinda give me an intro into IDPA, maybe some stuff you would have liked to know when getting into the sport.
    I know the basics such as having a completion legal pistol, magazines, mag holders, cover garment and PPE, anything else I need?
    On the topic of pistols, I don’t have immediate funds for an IDPA specific pistol, so if I were to start shooting soon, which I’d like to, I have two real options: Glock 21 and Glock 23. Here’s where I’m stuck at. Is the price difference in ammo worth it to shoot the bigger Glock 21, or would I be fine with the smaller 23? Kinda personal choices I know, but just want opinions.

Thank you all so much!
    IDPA is a good entry point into competitive shooting. May I ask why the Glock 21/23 are your two options? Are you planning on purchasing one or those are the two pistols you currently own? I'd offer that 9mm is the most common caliber for IDPA, which not only reflects that 9mm is probably the most common service and self-defense caliber in the country, but is also relatively soft shooting compared to .40 or .45, and much cheaper to shoot. There is also no "major" power factor in IDPA, so shooting a G21 or G23 offers no competitive advantage, and in fact as a higher recoiling cartridge, disadvantages the competitor. Furthermore, recent changes to IDPA rules have increased the Stock Service Pistol magazine capacity to 15, which further disadvantages the pistols you mention (both have 13 round magazines). I would offer that the 9mm Glock 17 or Glock 19 are all around much better choices (and not only for IDPA).

If perhaps I'm misunderstanding and you currently own a G21 or G23, I'd select whichever you shoot better and are more comfortable with. I personally find a G21 more controllable than the G23, which I find snappy. IDPA match round counts are usually lower than a USPSA match, so the price difference between shooting a match with .40 vs. .45 isn't going to be that much. Especially when starting out, shoot what you've got, and get a feel for the game.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 05-04-2022 at 06:18 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Thank you all so much!
    If there’s a USPSA club closer to you, check that out. Don’t drive 180 miles for IDPA, lol.

I know sometimes people are enamored of the idea of IDPA being “defensive” but it’s so gamey that it’s better off competing as a skill assessment in whatever discipline allows you more access.

USPSA is probably 10x more popular than IDPA*

If you want to see where matches are, search:

www.PractiScore.com

*random statistic I pulled out of my ass.

I don't disagree that if USPSA is closer, I'd certainly sign up for that. 3 hours is a long ride for IDPA.

On the other hand, I started with IDPA because that's what was local at the time, so I get that.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    To pile-on to @JSGlock34 ...

If those are the two guns you currently own, pick the one you'd most like to shoot (and practice with). I'll also add that the G23 can be entered as a SSP (up to 15 rds effective 1 June), or CCP (8 rds allowed per mag). At the entry level, it won't really matter when you need to reload in a stage.

At your first match, just introduce yourself as a new IDPA shooter to the SO that's running the squad. With any luck, he (or someone else on the squad) will be a good teacher and point out the pitfalls of each stage for new shooters.

Also, feel free to check back here with specific questions. We're happy to help.

I'd also encourage you to ask your local ranges if they have any pistol competitions. Some ranges will run their own action match or even just a bowling pin shoot.

GSSF might also have a match near you sometime this year.

Not that IDPA is bad, I just think you'd be disappointed after driving 180 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    IDPA is a good entry point into competitive shooting. May I ask why the Glock 21/23 are your two options? Are you planning on purchasing one or those are the two pistols you currently own? I'd offer that 9mm is the most common caliber for IDPA, which not only reflects that 9mm is probably the most common service and self-defense caliber in the country, but is also relatively soft shooting compared to .40 or .45, and much cheaper to shoot. There is also no "major" power factor in IDPA, so shooting a G21 or G23 offers no competitive advantage, and in fact as a higher recoiling cartridge, disadvantages the competitor. Furthermore, recent changes to IDPA rules have increased the Stock Service Pistol magazine capacity to 15, which further disadvantages the pistols you mention (both have 13 round magazines). I would offer that the 9mm Glock 17 or Glock 19 are all around much better choices (and not only for IDPA).

If perhaps I'm misunderstanding and you currently own a G21 or G23, I'd select whichever you shoot better and are more comfortable with. I personally find a G21 more controllable than the G23, which I find snappy. IDPA match round counts are usually lower than a USPSA match, so the price difference between shooting a match with .40 vs. .45 isn't going to be that much. Especially when starting out, shoot what you've got, and get a feel for the game.
    Ya I own both the 21 and 23. Also own a ruger sr9c and sig p365. Just don’t think those would be a good idea because they’re so small. Correct me if I’m wrong of course.
    I’d like to try some sort of pistol shooting without having to buy a gun JUST to see if I like IDPA or USPSA, though the more guns the better
    If I had the money now, or if I save and like the sport, whichever I end up liking, I’d like to go Glock 17 or sig p320. Id have to feel them side by side, but I remember liking the 320 the one time I help one.

I inherently shoot the 21 better, so may end up trying with that.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    If there’s a USPSA club closer to you, check that out. Don’t drive 180 miles for IDPA, lol.

I know sometimes people are enamored of the idea of IDPA being “defensive” but it’s so gamey that it’s better off competing as a skill assessment in whatever discipline allows you more access.

USPSA is probably 10x more popular than IDPA*

If you want to see where matches are, search:

www.PractiScore.com

I’ll have to look more, but at a quick glance it looks like USPSA is about 100 miles away. So closer. Still not a trip around the block. I’ll look into it more. Thank you for the suggestion

*random statistic I pulled out of my ass.

So it looks like I have a USPSA club about 100 miles away. I’ll keep looking for things closer.
    However, i missed this one. We have the Roswell gun club, and while they have lots of shoots, there’s just a few with metal plates. May try that too, but they have an IPSC match once a month it looks like. Hmm. I’ll have to look into IPSC. Haven’t looked into it at all as of yet. Thanks everyone for your replies.

So it looks like I have a USPSA club about 100 miles away. I’ll keep looking for things closer.
    However, i missed this one. We have the Roswell gun club, and while they have lots of shoots, there’s just a few with metal plates. May try that too, but they have an IPSC match once a month it looks like. Hmm. I’ll have to look into IPSC. Haven’t looked into it at all as of yet. Thanks everyone for your replies.
    Looks like Roswell has Steel Challenge and unsanctioned IPSC which probably will be very similar to USPSA . That's where I would go first before I drove a long distance.

User Tag List