Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Streaming Music

I use Pandora for music, Spotify for podcasts. My wife uses Apple Music but I prefer Pandora.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Looks like Sonos isn't compatible with Tidal's highest-quality streaming, which would mean the monthly fee is the same as Spotify's $9.99. Wife has elected to stick with Apple Music, since she lives in the Apple ecosystem anyways.

Anyone tried Deezer? I've come across some people that are big fans of the service, but I can't really see what their advantage is.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Bringing this back up to the top. What are people liking these days?

I have xm, which is fine for what it is but awfully repetitive if you listen for any length of time plus, I want the ability to stream one artist or album. Amazon would be easy enough but I feel like I already pay them too much for prime and they've kind of pissed me off by making it impossible to listen to unshuffled (with real crap) music without paying for the privilege. I can get past that if they really are the best choice.

Apple isn't an option for me (I mean, I suppose it could be but just...no). Sound quality is unlikely to be an issue, as a non-audiophile with tinnitus and a penchant for Pantera at max volume.

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Anybody? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Anybody? Thanks.
    I have been lurking also...
    Have been wondering about getting a new stereo receiver that might have Bluetooth, and potentially a digital to analog converter. From my research the DAC is part of the audio quality puzzle.

I have also been thinking about re-RIPping my CDs, or maybe investigate maybe just copying them. If max capacity is 700mb, and we have around 300 of them, that is only about 1/4 TB. Space is cheap, a 1TB USB drive is $25, my laptop (that I would be using to do the copy/RIP has that much drive space. You could also fit a lot on a SD card that goes in our phones. One primary listening venue would be on our boat, so being able to write a bunch to a USB would be a key factor. I have USBs in the car and truck also.

I had one good experience with a friend's YouTube subscription, and I watch enough stuff on YT that I wouldn't mind an ad free subscription there anyway.

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I also have a bunch of old CDs I could rip. Getting around to it is really the only obstacle to that.

Thanks. I also have a bunch of old CDs I could rip. Getting around to it is really the only obstacle to that.
    I work from home and once I get setup to do it can do a few at a time most every day.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I have become a big fan of Tidal. Even their mid-tier service sounds better than Spotify and their music recommendations far exceed Spotify as well - I rarely go through a whole "Discover Daily" playlist without favorite-ing something.

Their app isn't quite as refined as some other music services, and you're basically stuck streaming from the browser on Linux devices, but I still easily recommend it.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Site Supporter
    https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/drag...agonfly-cobalt
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have been lurking also...
    Have been wondering about getting a new stereo receiver that might have Bluetooth, and potentially a digital to analog converter. From my research the DAC is part of the audio quality puzzle.
    Anybody? Thanks.
    I’m using Spotify on its highest setting and don’t hate it for what it is. Though I wouldn’t argue the merits of Qobuz or Tidal over Spotify. I like the ability to instantly search for almost any song and Tidal just doesn’t have the sheer volume of music. I make it work by way of digital connection to an external DAC feeding analog inputs into a two channel pre amp. This adds enough fidelity that I see enough nuance to keep the service and works phenomenal with a CD player and ITunes (lossless- always bypass the computer DAC)

I feel like going to a relatively inexpensive discreet DAC buys you enough to not need to spend thousands. My favorite is the modi from Schiit. I haven’t needed to upgrade past this one at $120.
    https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-plus

For anything with a USB output, the dragonfly line from Audioquest is absolutely amazing and perfect for headphones or a laptop/ device out.
    https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/drag...agonfly-cobalt

PS Audio has a lot of information on YouTube re using a Mac to set up a music server and stream audio. Should be all you need!

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAE...+audio+servers

User Tag List