Thread: Christensen Arms Ridgeline Scout 223 Initial Review

Site Supporter

Christensen Arms Ridgeline Scout 223 Initial Review

I was recently overtaken by the "need" for a detachable magazine .223 bolt rifle. My initial thought was the Tikka T3x. However, they cannot be found in stock and per Eurooptic, resupply date is unknown. I ultimately decided on a Christensen Arms Ridgeline Scout: https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline-scout/. My price was $1950.

The bare rifle came in at exactly 6 lbs. on my scale:

Name:  20220503_094906.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  40.4 KB

The adjustable Trigger Tech trigger arrived from the factory at 2 lbs. 11.3 oz. It's a nice single stage trigger.

Name:  20220503_094944.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  34.3 KB

I fitted this rifle with a Vortex 3 - 15 X 44 Viper PST and Warne rings. It now weighs 7.98 lbs.

Name:  20220503_095203.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  20220503_095129.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  20220503_095059.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  20220503_095023.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  43.4 KB

My first 75 ish rounds downrange were a mix of various factory loads. The rifle seems to like FGMM 77 grain SMK. Those shoot about .75 MOA for five rounds in early testing.

I did experience a good number of failures to feed. The MDT magazine supplied with the rifle was not snug when inserted. The bolt would occasionally fail to strip off the top round from the magazine. The same was true with Magpul AICS magazines. My suspicion was that the bottom metal was not inletted deeply enough into the stock.

I contacted Christensen Arms using their online warranty return system and quickly received a prepaid UPS shipping label. I received an email from CA acknowledging receipt of the rifle. The following day, I received another email stating that the rifle had even repaired. Then followed a return UPS tracking number. Total turnaround time was 10 days, including shipping both ways.

The rifle now feeds flawlessly from both MDT and Magpul magazines. CA included a thank you card and T shirt in the box.

It's way too early to draw any definitive conclusions about this rifle. I can now report that it's light, handy, and accurate. It fills my needs. CA customer service was excellent. I will update after further use. ELN

Site Supporter

Update

This little rifle continues to run well after its initial warranty repair for feeding issues. It seems to like this load:

Sierra 77 Grain TMK
    23.2 Grains 8208 XBR
    Federal 205M Primers
    Mixed Brass

Unsuppressed:

Max 2664
    Min 2642
    Avg 2649
    SD 8.6

Suppressed w TBAC CB9:

Max 2708
    Min 2691
    Avg 2695
    SD 7.2

Point of impact with suppressor = 2" low.

The Vortex Viper PST 3 - 15 is a bit porky. I have a Vortex HD LHT 4.5-22X50 inbound which should put my weight unloaded at about 7.5 lbs.

https://vortexoptics.com/razor-hd-lh...cle-XLR-2~MRAD

Overall, it's a nice little package. I find myself shooting this rifle more and my other rifles less due to reduced recoil,, lower ammo cost, and its overall handiness. I will hunt antelope and mule deer with it this fall, license draws permitting. From the Big Empty, ELN.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    What are you using for chrono? That is something I need to buy into eventually...

I have a few gas guns that are extremely accurate, but confess that a bolt action .223 really does call out to me in an irresistible way...

That is dead sexy. It’s a totally different league than the utility bolt guns I’ve been assembling lately.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter

Magnetospeed

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    What are you using for chrono? That is something I need to buy into eventually...

I have a few gas guns that are extremely accurate, but confess that a bolt action .223 really does call out to me in an irresistible way...
    I'm using a Magnetospeed: https://magnetospeed.com/v3-ballistic-chronograph. It works well and doesn't have the usual screens that I would doubtless blow to smithereens.

I did find a nice load:

Sierra 77 grain TMK
    23.4 grains 8208 XBR
    CCI BR-4 primers
    Mixed brass

Name:  20230528_143248.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  80.8 KB

Site Supporter

Vortex LHT

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That is dead sexy. It’s a totally different league than the utility bolt guns I’ve been assembling lately.
    Thanks. It's my new favorite rifle. I mounted a Vortex LHT this weekend. It's about an inch shorter and 8 ounces lighter than the Viper PST Gen II 3-15×44 I had initially installed. The glass is great and it fits the gun much better.

Name:  20230527_135413.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  20230527_123944.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  20230529_080637.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  59.2 KB

I looked around for a Tikka CTR .223 and couldn't find a single one anywhere. I don't expect any in the near future either.

That might work out to be a nice scout rifle. They have a good reputation so I'm thinking you're on your way.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Nice rifle!

I shoot my 223 bolt guns more than any of the others, even my AR, so I get the love
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List