Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady .357 135gr Magnum Critical Duty - Good to go?

Hornady .357 135gr Magnum Critical Duty - Good to go?

What do you all think about Hornady .357 135gr Magnum Critical Duty? Any credible testing? All I have found online are clear gel tests.

I am currently running Hornady Custom 158gr XTP in my 4" M66-2. I am considering switching to the Critical Duty as I can get in 50 LE boxes. In the Lucky Gunner clear gel tests, both rounds are deep penetrators, expanding to around .50" Might not be enough difference between the two for me to go through the hassle of switching.
    Last edited by 4given; 05-03-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Decide for yourself.

Here's the manufacturer's 10% ordnance gelatin test data for the 357 Magnum 135-grain Critical Duty:

Name:  Screenshot_20220503-133900-944~2.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  26.4 KB
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    What do you all think about Hornady .357 135gr Magnum Critical Duty? Any credible testing? All I have found online are clear gel tests.

I am currently running Hornady Custom 158gr XTP in my 4" M66-2. I am considering switching to the Critical Duty as I can get in 50 LE boxes. In the Lucky Gunner clear gel tests, both rounds are deep penetrators, expanding to around .50" Might not be enough difference between the two for me to go through the hassle of switching.
    Where are you getting it in 50 round boxes? Next time I have to buy ammo, there's a pretty good chance this will become my Town Load.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Critical Duty is good to go, assuming your gun likes it. Do not anticipate it stopping in your opponent when fired from a 4"+ barrel, pass throughs are prevalent.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Decide for yourself.

Here's the manufacturer's 10% ordnance gelatin test data for the 357 Magnum 135-grain Critical Duty:

Name:  Screenshot_20220503-133900-944~2.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  26.4 KB
    Thanks Chuck! Looks pretty good if that's typical.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Critical Duty is good to go, assuming your gun likes it. Do not anticipate it stopping in your opponent when fired from a 4"+ barrel, pass throughs are prevalent.
    Thanks! I will be using the M66 for a highway pistol so pass through is less of an issue. Downrange performance is more important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Where are you getting it in 50 round boxes? Next time I have to buy ammo, there's a pretty good chance this will become my Town Load.
    check PM's

Hornady has a pdf with the complete critical duty line and their FBI protocol tests.

I can't seem to link it on my phone.

Site Supporter
    That’d even be geezer-friendly in my 681, if it shoots to POA. Need to find a box and try it.

I've shot a decent bit of this through a 1980-year 6" blued Colt Python. Recoil is similar to .38 +P and very easy to control out of a large frame, all steel duty-sized revolver.

I'm not sure it offers any tangible benefits in performance over a 135gr +P 9mm CD, but it is going a bit faster.

User Tag List