Thread: Armanov Case Gauge - 223

Armanov Case Gauge - 223

Since I have been starting to do more matches and am getting interested in shooting more, I have been thinking about starting to gage my ammo. I was wondering if anyone made a "hundo" type thing for .223 and I found this neato option from Armanov:
    https://usa-shop.armanov.com/product...-rnd-stackable

I like the idea of having one that mates up to the MTM boxes and this one does, but the cool thing about it is that the ten round gages can be ganged together to create whatever you want. The bad news is it would cost $400+ to create one that does a hundred, the good news is I went for two of them and it works fine doing twenty at a time. I have been simply tipping the case up at an angle and the twenty sized cases slide right over.

ETA: With just two rows it makes it simple to run a line with a Sharpie down the bases. I am doing this simply to identify the rounds that have passed the gage test.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-03-2022 at 09:24 AM.

That's pretty slick.

I don't gauge my finished ammo but I do gauge the brass for length. I'll never be a 1 MOA shooter by design.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I don't gauge my finished ammo but I do gauge the brass for length. I'll never be a 1 MOA shooter by design.
    I am gauging for safety, but mostly for function, including having rounds that might be big being difficult to extract after a stage. Never had any not come out, but just is embarrassing, like you can't even reload some silly ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am gauging for safety, but mostly for function, including having rounds that might be big being difficult to extract after a stage. Never had any not come out, but just is embarrassing, like you can't even reload some silly ammo...
    I understand. When I first started reloading ammo for trap I had a round go pffft and shot roll out of my barrel. No powder in the shell. Somebody on the line yelled out "does your mother-in-law load your ammo?" Damn, that was embarrassing.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I use one. I had some 223 pass in a Lyman case gauge , that gave trouble in a tight AR chamber. This seems to be a tad tighter, if it passes this it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I understand. When I first started reloading ammo for trap I had a round go pffft and shot roll out of my barrel. No powder in the shell. Somebody on the line yelled out "does your mother-in-law load your ammo?" Damn, that was embarrassing.
    [patented PF thread drift]Almost 25 years ago I regularly shot skeet at Ft Campbell with a bunch of retirees. A couple of them had a game where they'd slip a shell loaded with confetti, talcum powder, etc into the other's pouch. After watching this for a year or two I got in on the act and loaded one up with confetti from a hole punch and slipped it into one of their pouches. When it was fired the guy spun around yelling at his buddy "You SOB!" and of course the other guy had no idea so we all had a good laugh watching them chew on each other. I never did admit to knowing anything about it...[/patented PF thread drift]
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    I use one. I had some 223 pass in a Lyman case gauge , that gave trouble in a tight AR chamber. This seems to be a tad tighter, if it passes this it will work.
    Part of my motivation is the gun I use for three gun has a Wylde chamber. I has some stubborn rounds when it can time to unload and show clear.

I stopped having issues with out of spec 223 brass when I began sizing brass twice. I do a 95% size in one operation whenever I deprime and swage. When I go to load, I use a Mighty Armory mandrel type sizing die. This bumps the shoulder back where it needs to be and gets the base squeezed to the right dimension.

Also, it is a bit of a pain, but sorting your 223 brass by headstamp will really help the process.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I stopped having issues with out of spec 223 brass when I began sizing brass twice.
    I just got an RL1100 and the first task I did with it was to size (and swage!!! WooHoo!!) every 223 case I had in my possession. I had a spare die and thought about putting it in the mix, but decided not to. I was pretty diligently checking them along the way and they all seem to be great.

Armanov case gauge

mmc45414, I don't think they make the hundo for .223, but I hear ya. I have the 9mm hundo and its awesome. With one step you get to see the fit, and another step you can slip them into their box.

User Tag List