Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light at the end of the Tunnel, but only darkness behind

Enjoy being retired. Duty is finished. As blues just said, you have earned it, and, “Now, it is up to others to carry the torch. Or not.”

I have not been very optimistic, when I have seen some of the ones who are now carrying the torches. But, then, I felt the same about so many of my colleagues, when I was still working. I did my part. You have done yours. Let’s enjoy retirement.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Enjoy your retirement.

I retired in January, after 29 years.

It’s taking a while for the concept to sink in. But I’m getting there.

Congrats and welcome to the party! I've been retired for five months and four days, and still adjusting. No doubt you'll get there - thanks for all your time and trying to make things better!

AMC, thank you for your service. Enjoy your well earned retirement.

You have a great deal of knowledge to share. I hope you'll be thinking about doing so: private training, ILEETA, IALEFI...

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Thank You for holding the line all those years. There are some of us in the Bay who do appreciate it and have deep respect for your service.

Oh and being a “civilian” in Kalifornia sucks. Better buy your non roster pistols while you still can! 😉

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thank You for holding the line all those years. There are some of us in the Bay who do appreciate it and have deep respect for your service.

Oh and being a “civilian” in Kalifornia sucks. Better buy your non roster pistols while you still can! 😉
    I've spent more time in gun stores the last two months than I did in the previous 5 years!!!! If it's worth buying, buy 2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Those of us in the profession know all too well that the actual "reform" that the profession needed was in the areas of recruiting and training.
    I definitely think recruiting and training have gone the wrong direction. Mainly for exogenous reasons. The desirability of the profession has fallen, even as the pay has gone up. Thus, we don't have the same quality of candidates, even though, in my opinion, the pay is very good these days. At least where I am.

We used to get 1000 applicants to boil it down to 70 or so qualified applicants. The top 20 or 30 of these got selected. Now we hire everyone who barely passes. Plus the ones who don't pass, but get waivers.

I don't know how to change this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I wish I had something encouraging to say, but I really don't. I look back at my thirty-seven years with the city as a waste of time and effort. I did probably save the careers of two officers who were smart enough to migrate to the county police (which now has all sorts of issues). but everything else? Wow, what a wasted effort.]

At least we tried, brother. I guess there will be some interesting views in the rearview mirror. Not much out the windshield however.
    I feel sorry that you feel that way. I don't know how you can say that though. You probably don't even realize how many lives you had a positive impact on, how many people who are here today because of something you did that you may not even know about or realize. During your 37 year career I'm sure you made a difference and had a positive impact on the citizens of the City where you worked. I don't know how you couldn't.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I sent this to a young officer who was on my patrol team before I transferred to the range. She was one of those I hoped would someday turn the place around. She's an attorney, speaks 4 languages, great shooter, dedicated, compassionate but no nonsense. Exactly the kind of people we want as cops. Her husband is an officer here too, and also a great cop. The other day at Perishable Skills training on the range she told me they're leaving. Taking jobs with a Sheriffs office several counties away. These are the folks we're driving from the profession: the dedicated, competent people. What you're gonna be left with is people who couldn't hack the pace at Starbucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I sent this to a young officer who was on my patrol team before I transferred to the range. She was one of those I hoped would someday turn the place around. She's an attorney, speaks 4 languages, great shooter, dedicated, compassionate but no nonsense. Exactly the kind of people we want as cops. Her husband is an officer here too, and also a great cop. The other day at Perishable Skills training on the range she told me they're leaving. Taking jobs with a Sheriffs office several counties away. These are the folks we're driving from the profession: the dedicated, competent people. What you're gonna be left with is people who couldn't hack the pace at Starbucks.
    I sent that meme to several old beat partners. We sometimes talk about how we didn’t know how good we had it back in the 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List