Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light at the end of the Tunnel, but only darkness behind

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.

Light at the end of the Tunnel, but only darkness behind

In a matter of a few weeks, I'll be just another private citizen again after 30 years wearing a star. In that time the profession has undergone tremendous changes....some good, some absolutely disastrous. The last few years have seen more of the latter unfortunately.

I started my career carrying a S&W Model 28 with 2 HKS speedloaders, Mace, a 26" wood baton, and a pair of handcuffs. Radios were the old MX bricks that had to be checked out at the beginning of the shift. Sometimes there weren't enough to go around, so only one partner got a radio. We also walked a lot of beats in neighborhoods not conducive to it because there weren't enough cars to go around. Dispatchers got frustrated calling a sector car for an 'A' priority emergency call, only to be told we'd respond as soon as the next bus showed up. Seriously.

Flash forward to today: cops have external vests with rifle plate options, semiautomatic pistols, nasty face melting pepper spray, lighter/smaller/ more capable radios, smart phones, body cameras, RCB collapsible batons, patrol rifles w/Aimpoint T2 sights. And even enough cars to go around....with ballistic panels in the doors!

That said, the changes to law and policy have been mostly detrimental to the performance of police work. Those of us in the profession know all too well that the actual "reform" that the profession needed was in the areas of recruiting and training. Those areas were either untouched, or further damaged by the meddling of academics or activists with an agenda that did not include public safety.

The last 4 years have been the only non-field position I've held in 30 years. I had high hopes for finally being able to impact training in a positive way. I think we did for awhile, but changing a culture takes longer, and takes the recruiting piece too. We dramatically improved the Academy firearms program, and this year finally got the opportunity to push those changes out for in service folks too. But the culture of "I'm a red hat. I don't need to show you. Do as I say" is very entrenched. There was resentment at the directive that you needed to be able to do and demonstrate what you asked people to do....every time. Part of it was lack of confidence. Part was just pure laziness. As I wind down, I see the laziness starting to again take hold. Efforts to interest my instructors in their own skill development fall on deaf ears. Most Police Firearms Instructors just don't really care about shooting when it comes right down to it. Sad but true.

I knew this was coming, and I've been making my peace with it. It's difficult though, to watch the learned helplessness take hold of the young guys still in the field. To watch the complete collapse of a 173 year old institution that you served for more than half your life. To watch the profession in many areas be dismantled by fools and malcontents.

I'm proud of what we did while we were doing it....but sad at watching the rot take hold. No builder would feel only pride and satisfaction watching a home he'd just finished be deliberately burned to the ground as he walked away. I wish I'd been able to make more lasting change. But we're only one small part of a crumbling institution. 565 sworn eligible to retire June 30. And resignations by young folks are outpacing retirements by almost 2 to 1. Several very 10-8 young cops, who I had a lot of hope for turning the institution around some day, told me in the last 2 days they're leaving.

I look forward to retirement. And I'm also heartbroken for the folks left behind. Sorry. The last few weeks have left me in a maudlin state for someone about to get the ultimate promotion.

Site Supporter
    I wish I had something encouraging to say, but I really don't. I look back at my thirty-seven years with the city as a waste of time and effort. I did probably save the careers of two officers who were smart enough to migrate to the county police (which now has all sorts of issues). but everything else? Wow, what a wasted effort.]

At least we tried, brother. I guess there will be some interesting views in the rearview mirror. Not much out the windshield however.

Ooof...

Six years in and I love my job. I am without a shadow of a doubt a product of the current environment. The old days of real police work are dead and gone, at least for now. Regardless of this, I do my job to the best of my abilities and I go to work every day with the mindset of "what can I do to positively influence my very small sphere?"

Thank you for all that you've done. I'm really sorry to see you go out with such a negative outlook on the future but I hardly blame you.

You've nailed the issues with instructors on the head. My agency is small and there are seven instructors. There are two of us that pay our way to schools and are pushing the program forward. The other five guys are filling space and are largely only useful for scoring targets. Firearms instructor is a relatively "prestigious" assignment and too many people put in for it because it means time away from patrol at the range but they have little desire to better themselves or learn how to teach.

Congratulations on your retirement!

Not a leo. Chance I could be down the road. Former mil.

The mindset your talking about of being proud of what you've done and wondering what the point is at the same time reminds me SO MUCH of deployment. I was in Ramadi doing PSD for KLE from 2010 to 2011. Defintely proud of that time. But when Ramadi fell to Isis shortly after I wondered what the point was. It seemed like the whole thing was wasteful and useless and worse than how I left it.

The work and effort are the accomplishment. The end state isn't always the measure of success. You put in the real work and sweat, and hopefully influenced and contributed to others who will do the same. No matter the outcomes. Just because it's the right thing. Im content with that time in my life now. No doubt you will be too.

Congratulations on your pending retirement. Aserious accomplishment. What are your plans? Travel, fishing, woodworking?

I hung it up last month after 32 years.
    It's like I've been living in a river of darkness for 3 decades. I didn't realize how deep down in it I was.
    The sum of my work/life experiences were "horrifying and sad" according to a shrink I had to be interviewed by after an on duty assault. She also told me I was "numb."
    I'm still decompressing
    The last 3 weeks I've literally been practicing how to not be a cop.
    It's like learning to walk again.
    It is good not to wonder when you'll be volunteered as "Tribute" to the woke mob.
    Wouldn't do it again.

Congratulations on making it to the finish line. You did your job honorably and to the best of your ability. What happens to your city and agency now is out of your hands. You’ve earned your retirement so enjoy it.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I would tell the people working under me that law enforcement is like mining for diamonds. You dig thru tons of crap for the rare shiny moment. Hopefully you can look back and remember the good while forgetting most of the crap.

Congratulations on your next assignment in life, hopefully the most stress you encounter is learning to tie fishing knots with the readers we all need these days. Welcome to the world of old farts.

RESPECT!

And congrats

Enjoy your retirement. You've earned it. Now it's up to others to carry the torch, or not.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List