Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judo Question

Judo Question

Hi everyone,

had a question about Judo for those that might know. Judo classes were just added at a local BJJ gym, taught by an accomplished Judo and BJJ blackbelt, and I thought I'd join. My main concern is that sessions are only 2 nights per week at about ~90 minutes, and with my work and grad school schedule, some weeks I (embarrassingly) might only be able to attend 1 night per week. Is 1-2 times per week enough, over the long haul, to advance in Judo? I spent years when I was younger doing no-gi BJJ, attending 3-5 times per week, so going to so few sessions will be a new experience for me.

A few quick caveats here that might assist in any responses - I'm almost exclusively doing this for fun, since I have always wanted to learn Judo; this isn't meant as a thread intended to discuss the pros/cons of BJJ vs Judo. My main hobbies are powerlifting and competitive shooting, so I'm not in a rush to become a blackbelt. I just wanted to ask if it were possible to still (slowly) advance in the sport over a long period of time attending ~1.5 times per week, or if I'd just be wasting my time. I'd obviously be willing to study and work on what is possible at home in my spare time, though, I know this is fairly limited. I'll likely be moving to a bigger city late next year once I graduate that has a dedicated Judo gym with multiple classes 6 days per week, so if I enjoy it, I'd obviously boost my weekly sessions up at that time.

Thanks for any replies! I look forward to getting opinions here.

Since you have always wanted to and suggest you go ahead and jump in. Even if you are only able to attend once a week you will learn if you like it or not. I enjoyed my time in Judo and can say even years later the training stays with you.

Site Supporter
    One day a week is still 52 times per year. That's not bad compared to zero times per year, and with some external study/practice, you can get better than you might expect.

As a side note....high amplitude throwing techniques like those in Judo kind of suck if you do those multiple times per week anyways. The wear and tear is a real thing. Granted a good judo school might be training those techniques with crash pads and breaking them down to micro drills anyways to reduce the risk of injury associated with absorbing multiple strong throws.

But if they don't, once per week is probably all I'd do lol.

As a funny sort of side note, a lot of high level mma fighters now sort of use judo techniques if they lose the underhook and are pressed against the cage. Some use it very well. Especially the Dagestani guys like Islam Makhachev or Shavkat Rakhmanov (think he's Uzbekistani, but he's one to watch). Hell I think even Paddy Pimblett used a judo technique in his last fight to score a back take and finish by RNC.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

As others note, Judo can be a bit hard on the old bod, especially as we advance in years. I’d say go for it, and plan on the 1.5 average anyways. Also, there will likely be other classes that you can sit in on as your schedule allows: boxing, no-gi mornings, whathaveyou. You can probably cobble up a fun 3xWeekly schedule across disciplines that won’t derail work and study. Just throwing it out there.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Do it! Commit to learning how to break-fall. Injuries in judo happen (like all sports) but learning proper falling technique will mitigate most of them.

Advancing in judo is nothing like BJJ. Shodan(black) is basically blue belt in BJJ. It means you know the basics and are ready to start the real learning (application of techniques in competition, specializing, teaching someone else a basic throw or falling technique, etc)

Feel free to ask any questions that may come up.

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice, guys! I called the gym earlier and I’m set to start next week. I’ll report back after my first session. I’m definitely expecting this to be a little bit harder on my body than no-gi BJJ

Once a week is actually IMO a better plan for Judo. Unless you are fairly young and with no physical issues, Judo is hard on the body. I love it, but it does not love me back. A good amount of my injuries have come from throws/takedowns. Even breakfalling over and over is no fun (though a needed skill).

You wil lstill get better at once a week, albeit more slowly than some young fit dude going 5 days a week, but that is irrelevant. The long haul is what is important.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Once a week is actually IMO a better plan for Judo. Unless you are fairly young and with no physical issues, Judo is hard on the body. I love it, but it does not love me back. A good amount of my injuries have come from throws/takedowns. Even breakfalling over and over is no fun (though a needed skill).

You wil lstill get better at once a week, albeit more slowly than some young fit dude going 5 days a week, but that is irrelevant. The long haul is what is important.
    This makes me feel much better. Thanks so much for responding, Cecil! This reminds me that I really need to train with you once I get back to grappling.

3 weeks ago, at BJJ, I haragoshi'd a bro (young dude/wrestler) and he hung on for dear life... I slowed the fall down, since he was SURPRISE! not break falling... and he dragged me down too... Generally all good, except I had sever neck pain for a solid week - ended up with whiplash, essentially...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    3 weeks ago, at BJJ, I haragoshi'd a bro (young dude/wrestler) and he hung on for dear life... I slowed the fall down, since he was SURPRISE! not break falling... and he dragged me down too... Generally all good, except I had sever neck pain for a solid week - ended up with whiplash, essentially...
    I hear you man

Every now and again you regret not waking up and choosing violence that day.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

User Tag List