Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR aftermarket triggers

Another vote for the LaRue MBT 2S.

Everyone seems to like their MBT 2S triggers and I don't know of anyone who has had a problem with them.

I have G2S triggers in my ARs. They are significantly cheaper than the regular SSA.

I've used enough SSAs, G2Ss, and MBT2Ss to say they are essentially the same. There is enough variation between triggers and receivers that sometimes one is nicer than the other if you're fondling it in dry fire. It's really splitting hairs though and not something you'll notice shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I don’t know if it meets the price criteria, but I’ve got multiple Giessele SSA triggers, and I am totally satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How old is "old?"

I ask because standard AR-15/M16s use .150" size trigger pins, however through about 2009/2010 Colts (including my 2007/2008 vintage 6920) use .170" pins. If you have a .170" pin gun you will need a "large pin" trigger. Geissele makes a big pin version of the SSA.

If you have the standard .150 pin version, Geissele has an excellent budget version of the SSA called the G2S. Same trigger but doesn't get the full QC checks such as MPI on every part.

The SSA and it's select fire version the SSF are in use by the U.S. military and the SSA is in use with at least two large federal LE agencies tactical teams.

If you can be patient Geissele usually has decent holiday weekend sales and Memorial day and 4th of July are coming up.
    Im not sure how old it is. I always thought the pin thing was something that went away in the early 90s?! Is there a way to tell?

Giessele have always been out of my price range. I just can't wrap my mind around paying that much for 3 little parts and how much better can it actually be over BCM/DD/SOLGW....etc. I can't bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars on something I've never held let alone tried. Which is partially why all my stuff is OEM. A friend has some $420 Giessele. Seems nice but not enough to part with $420. That's like a tank of gas!! [emoji16][emoji15][emoji45]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Im not sure how old it is. I always thought the pin thing was something that went away in the early 90s?! Is there a way to tell?

Giessele have always been out of my price range. I just can't wrap my mind around paying that much for 3 little parts and how much better can it actually be over BCM/DD/SOLGW....etc. I can't bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars on something I've never held let alone tried. Which is partially why all my stuff is OEM. A friend has some $420 Giessele. Seems nice but not enough to part with $420. That's like a tank of gas!! [emoji16][emoji15][emoji45]

No, big pins did not go away in the 90s. You can just measure the pin / pin hole with a caliper.

The G triggers for AR’s are usually about $160 for the SSA and $120 ish for the G2S when on sale. They go on sale regularly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post

All the Geissele stuff isn’t that expensive.
    I got two triggers (separate purchases) on sale for $180 (MSRP $240). This was for the “Super Triton”, which is similar to the SSA, but with a different-shaped trigger. And I believe I’ve seen the G2S on sale for about $120
    I know that still seems like a lot, but once you’ve used it, you’ll understand.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I have a SSA-E on my SPR build. I originally purchased it to go on my 308 AR but I found it too light for my liking even with the heavier springs I purchased from Geisslee . It is excellent for an SPR but I don’t like it on a more service oriented rifle. I purchased a G2S for my .308 and was perfect for my needs, nice smooth 2 stage, with a carrot break. I liked the G2S so much I purchased one for my primary carbine. Yeah, they can be found for a decent price when they are on sale (Memorial Day is coming up).

Most of the triggers being talked about are 2 stage. If you want a nice single stage setup I really like the ALG ACT or QMS (made by Geissele). The version with the nickel plating is very smooth while the standard version has cleaned up engagement angles. It both cases they are about as good as you can get for a standard AR trigger. Both for South of $100. Marry them up with some reduced power springs and you have a very nice single stage trigger that I almost prefer to their 2 stage triggers (keep in mind the reduced power springs could negatively affect reliability but I have yet to ever have an issue with any commercial or Lake City ammo).

If it is a Large Pin Colt then your options are a lot more limited and it might even be worth your while to swap out the lower (what I did - of course a Colt-Sporter Lower will get me arrested in Kalifornia so it wasn’t only the pin size that forced that move).
    Last edited by Suvorov; 05-02-2022 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Correct names of triggers

I have a single stage Wilson Combat TTU trigger in my AR.

It wasn't inexpensive, but I've never regretted installing it in my M&P15 TS.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Most of the triggers being talked about are 2 stage. If you want a nice single stage setup I really like the ACT (made by Geissele). The version with the nickel plating is very smooth while the standard version has cleaned up engagement angles. It both cases they are about as good as you can get for a standard AR trigger. Marry them up with some reduced power springs and you have a very nice single stage trigger that I almost prefer to their 2 stage triggers (keep in mind the reduced power springs could negatively affect reliability but I have yet to ever have an issue with any commercial or Lake City ammo).
    Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the ALG triggers, also generally well received:
    https://algdefense.com/quality-mil-s...igger-qms.html
    https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The LaRue is not a bad trigger, but it’s not as vetted as the SSA. I have both.

The G2S is a more apt comparison to the LaRue. On sale the price difference in $20 to $30.

It’s only available in standard .154 (small pin) which doesn’t work in older .170 pin Colts,

My LaRue AR-10 came from the factory with…. A Geissele SSA.

LaRue makes nice stuff but the man is kind of a nut case. Mark LaRue only makes a trigger and sells it at near cost, to spite Bill Geissele. Of course Bill Geissele also makes nice stuff but tends to bring that sort of thing out in multiple people so…pick ....
    The MBT is not vetted? They have been on the market for nearly 10 years and I haven't heard of any complaints, and they sell as fast as Larue can make them.

The MBT is EDM machined from S7 tool steel while the Geissele is an investment cast part that is heat treated and machined.

Larue introduced his trigger when Geissele decided to get in on the optic mounts and rails. There was some friendly banter when it went down. Mark is definitely a character but like you said, he makes good products, and sells direct which reduces the cost.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I have the Geissele G2S in all my working guns except for my actual Geiessele gun, which has whatever they put in them that's considerably lighter.

The G2S is a pretty magnificent trigger for a general use carbine.

I can use any trigger, but I prefer a 2 stage.

I tend to buy all my Geissele stuff when they run their sales.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List