Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time with the dot and all I can say is WOW!

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

First time with the dot and all I can say is WOW!

I know that I am late to the party, but I am a KISS kind of person. I have been on the side-lines reading and rereading everything I could find until I felt comfortable giving the dot a try. As previously stated, I got a 508T X2 green and mounted it PSA Dagger RMR cut slide. I figured I could put the 508 on an AR if it did not work out and the Dagger slide was only 125 bucks if the experiment did not succeed.

All I can say is all my fears were put to rest yesterday.

It took me about seven rounds to get sighted in a 10 yards. After I got the dot to hit where I was shooting, I put five rounds into a single hole. I did shoot supported for sighting in and then confirmed using normal shooting positions. I am glad I got the green dot as it was easy to see at high noon in the Mojave desert. I also don't have the astigmatism issues of dots on rifles. Maybe because it is farther from my eye, but the starburst is minimal compared to a dot up close.

Drawing and finding the dot was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I need to keep working on this but am off to a good start.

For the first time ever I was able to get a sort of group at 50 yards on my 2/3 silhouette. I can hit is pretty easy with irons, but they are all over the place. 75 yards was almost automatic as well. I was shooting supported, but all I had to do was put the dot on the target and press to get hits. At 100 yards I was able to get 9/10 rounds on the silhouette.

I have a lot of work to do to get where I want to be, but right off the bat I am impressed.

Anyways here are some pictures to keep the thread from being useless. I was texting my buddies these photos, so sorry for the mark-ups.

Name:  IMG-2304.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  IMG-2306.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  IMG-2305.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  48.3 KB

I'm not sure who first said it (maybe GJM?) but shooting with a dot on a pistol is like having a built in shooting coach.

Welcome to the fold.

Man, shame not many people have chimed in here. Having vision issues creeping in last several years (I’m 48) I gave a red dot a whirl end of 2020. INSTANT 30% increase in what I could do. My shooting skills were pretty good, just my vision held me back. First IDPA match with the dot was my best match ever. Each match I’ve done since has been better than the last.

Fast forward to last October. I had my lenses replaced due to early onset cataracts. Now my vision kicks ass at distance. But such that I really can’t shoot irons for self defense or competition. Now I really thank God for my Holosun’s.

Speaking of the Holosun your 508. When I shoot by myself I have a planned session and go at a steady pace. My G17 with a 507C gets so hot I need to switch to my carry gun - G19/507c. I’m going to make my current carry G19 a second training Glock - so a 17/19 training pair. And build a new carry Gen 5 19 with a 508 to keep from putting too many miles on my carry gun. The 508 seems to be a damn good optic.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by rawkguitarist View Post
    Man, shame not many people have chimed in here.
    Now you're sounding like a Jewish mom... Sigh. Ok, I'll chime in

I was an early adopter, and had a RMR 07 on a Suarez G19 slide. I shot and carried it for about a year in 2015. I didn't feel like WOW about the dot (but see below). Dealing with dust, rain, and loose screws made it more of a pain than I was willing to put up with, so I went back to irons.

Here's the thing: my eyes are perfectly suited for iron sight shooting without corrective lenses. I shoot irons with a hard target focus out to 25yds. And because I put a lot of time and effort into USPSA Production, carrying an iron sight gun felt like the right choice. Carry what you practice with.

...until this year, when for various and annoying reasons no one is shooting Production anymore. WTF???

After going through all 5 stages of grief over Production, I have pretty much switched to Carry Optics. And guess what? I like it! I would say that a 30% advantage from a RDS is about right. I'm carrying a P-07 milled for the 509t2, and can almost shoot that gun as well as my Shadow2 CO gun.

Unfortunately for my bank account, the switch to RDS is propagating through more guns...

So WOW? Yeah, I guess I'm willing to say that now. Reluctantly.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

But Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn told me that irons are better and dots don’t add anything?!!!!

I reluctantly went to a dot on my carry gun because I’m just better with it.

I have some on rifles but generally I'm not a fan. Actually, I'm just not a fan of electronics on my firearms. Had one randomly fail a few years ago. One day it was working and the next day it was kaput!

Now, if there's a way to have one without electronics or batteries.....

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I have some on rifles but generally I'm not a fan. Actually, I'm just not a fan of electronics on my firearms. Had one randomly fail a few years ago. One day it was working and the next day it was kaput!

Now, if there's a way to have one without electronics or batteries.....

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Meprolight M21.

Have you guys noticed any carry-over to your irons shooting? I'm afraid the dot will "spoil" me for irons, but also hopeful it'll be positive for both types of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Have you guys noticed any carry-over to your irons shooting? I'm afraid the dot will "spoil" me for irons, but also hopeful it'll be positive for both types of shooting.
    I have only been shooting with a dot for a bit less than a year, but I certainly see carry-over to my irons. I was always a "front sight focus" guy and marveled at folks here talking about "target focus" with irons. For me, the dot showed that target focus was better and faster but resulted in a sort of semi target focus when I switch to irons. I, too, worried about ruining my irons shooting but the opposite happened. Of course, this is no revelation as many of the SMEs here have been saying this stuff for a couple of years, at least. I'm just really glad it panned out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I have only been shooting with a dot for a bit less than a year, but I certainly see carry-over to my irons. I was always a "front sight focus" guy and marveled at folks here talking about "target focus" with irons. For me, the dot showed that target focus was better and faster but resulted in a sort of semi target focus when I switch to irons. I, too, worried about ruining my irons shooting but the opposite happened. Of course, this is no revelation as many of the SMEs here have been saying this stuff for a couple of years, at least. I'm just really glad it panned out for me.
    Sometimes I feel people might think I'm name dropping - but I'm not that type of dork. Point is, I have a podcast and get to bend the ear of some world class sources. Talking to Scott Jedlinski regarding target focus with a dot vs. irons. In that convo, he said many national/world champion competitors use target focus (think he mentioned Stoeger and Leatham). Not long after that had a convo with Craig Douglas and he wondered if we've been teaching iron's wrong by "focusing" on hard front sight so much. Had text conversation with Chuck Haggard - said he doesn't hard focus on irons anymore, because his vision is such, "lines up the fuzzy bumps and run the trigger". These are just anecdotes - but its an interesting debate/question to consider and for many of us to experiment with.

I need to learn how to use a revolver. You can put dots on them, but I'm currently borrowing a nice 1963 S&W Model 15 from my father in law. I'm about to experiment with it soon with my new bionic far vision/crappy near vision. Also planning on running a match soon with irons just to see how I do.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

User Tag List