Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex 6x Micro Magnifier

Vortex 6x Micro Magnifier

Wondering what other people's experiences with this are. I got one because a buddy would not stop hyping the one he got and I was intrigued that Kyle defoor had been using it in his classes. I went ahead and got one for ~$330 and am very impressed. The optical quality is unsurprisingly worse than decent budget LPVO like the Viper PST II at 6x but it's fast, and the QD mount isn't horrible so it's easy to remove. I have noticed that the dot/reticle likes to move in the magnifier image plane but not horrendously if the mount is tight.

I am seriously considering getting rid of another LPVO to replace it with another of these 6x magnifiers and an Aimpoint PRO or some Holosun optic. It even comes with absolute, lower 1/3, and 1.93 mounting spacers which I appreciate.

Haven’t used the 6x but I’m curious, I’ve been super pleased with the 3x for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Wondering what other people's experiences with this are. I got one because a buddy would not stop hyping the one he got and I was intrigued that Kyle defoor had been using it in his classes. I went ahead and got one for ~$330 and am very impressed. The optical quality is unsurprisingly worse than decent budget LPVO like the Viper PST II at 6x but it's fast, and the QD mount isn't horrible so it's easy to remove. I have noticed that the dot/reticle likes to move in the magnifier image plane but not horrendously if the mount is tight.

I am seriously considering getting rid of another LPVO to replace it with another of these 6x magnifiers and an Aimpoint PRO or some Holosun optic. It even comes with absolute, lower 1/3, and 1.93 mounting spacers which I appreciate.
    Can’t speak to the 6X but I have the vortex 3X micro and have been pleased with it enough to consider buying another or trying a 6X.

I have the 3x too. It’s nice for the price. I rally don’t notice the optical clarity until I shoot my Aimpoint 3x after. I don’t. Know if the 6x uses the same mount as the 3x, but you can reverse the mount so it swing to the left or right.

I've been considering one as well. I have a 3X Micro that I use behind a Primary Arms 1X Cyclops Gen 2 (a 1X prism optic with the ACSS reticle) and the two work well together. I thought the 6X might also work well with the Cyclops for not much more weight and length than the 3X.

Quote Originally Posted by BJV View Post
    I've been considering one as well. I have a 3X Micro that I use behind a Primary Arms 1X Cyclops Gen 2 (a 1X prism optic with the ACSS reticle) and the two work well together. I thought the 6X might also work well with the Cyclops for not much more weight and length than the 3X.
    I recommend it, I'm just not a huge fan of the mount currently. I might try reversing it to flip left so the lever is less in the way of the charging handle. The other option would be unity but that's expensive.

I have the 3x Vortex magnifier and it's fine other than the fact that flipping it throws the alignment with the RDS out of whack. It doesn't affect bullet impact as the zero isn't affected, but it's just annoying that everytime I flip it up and down the red dot is in a different place.

If that's no longer a "feature" on the current gen of Vortex magnifier mount, that'd be great to hear.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I recommend it, I'm just not a huge fan of the mount currently. I might try reversing it to flip left so the lever is less in the way of the charging handle. The other option would be unity but that's expensive.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. Are there any other details you'd call out?

It’s interfering with you pulling the CH?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    It’s interfering with you pulling the CH?

The way I had it originally set up, I had the folding buis in front of the red dot, then the magnifier on the last or second the last rail slot you can place it on. I doubt most people will set it up this way because it looks funny but I want the magnifier further back so the stock sits at a more natural length of pull for me with the eye relief being the limiting factor. I can still see the buis through the red dot but I'm going to use the magnifier much more than the buis. The mount lever sticks out more than the holosun magnifiers I have had, and if you put it at the furthest back rail slot, it is fairly close to the left wing of a radian raptor.

Last night I flipped the mount around so the magnifier flips left and I think I like it more now, since I can still (mostly) see around it with my left eye. The lever is very out of the way set up like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BJV View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. Are there any other details you'd call out?
    The adjustment clicks are very distinct. The eye relief is pretty good. I wish the diopter adjustment had a little more range but that's because I have a very slight prescription and don't wear glasses typically. I'd buy another one because the 6x is a game changer. Everytime I throw on a 3x I pretty quickly think to myself "this ain't worth the 10+ ounces of weight and the bulk" but I feel the 6x is worth it to me.

I'm hoping the AEMS will get an acss reticle version because that's my new favorite red dot. I need to try it with my aimpoints.
    Last edited by pastaslinger; 05-03-2022 at 02:19 PM.

User Tag List