Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vortex 6x Micro Magnifier

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    The way I had it originally set up, I had the folding buis in front of the red dot, then the magnifier on the last or second the last rail slot you can place it on. I doubt most people will set it up this way because it looks funny but I want the magnifier further back so the stock sits at a more natural length of pull for me with the eye relief being the limiting factor. I can still see the buis through the red dot but I'm going to use the magnifier much more than the buis. The mount lever sticks out more than the holosun magnifiers I have had, and if you put it at the furthest back rail slot, it is fairly close to the left wing of a radian raptor.

Last night I flipped the mount around so the magnifier flips left and I think I like it more now, since I can still (mostly) see around it with my left eye. The lever is very out of the way set up like this.

The adjustment clicks are very distinct. The eye relief is pretty good. I wish the diopter adjustment had a little more range but that's because I have a very slight prescription and don't wear glasses typically. I'd buy another one because the 6x is a game changer. Everytime I throw on a 3x I pretty quickly think to myself "this ain't worth the 10+ ounces of weight and the bulk" but I feel the 6x is worth it to me.

I'm hoping the AEMS will get an acss reticle version because that's my new favorite red dot. I need to try it with my aimpoints.
    Got it, makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Do these loose much low light performance vs a 3x magnifier? (Knowing that any magnifier is going to suck compared to a proper scope)

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Do these loose much low light performance vs a 3x magnifier? (Knowing that any magnifier is going to suck compared to a proper scope)
    Maybe a little. There's definitely more noticeable aberration. I did a side by side comparison with my Holosun Hm3xt magnifier last night and I might end up selling this Vortex specifically because of the mount. The holosun mount has front and rear lugs for the 1913 rail which help make it rock solid. The QD lever is also very low profile, and more secure despite being much easier to close. The vortex has as good an eye box as the 3x, but the red dot is magnified so much that the dot becomes somewhat blurry.

I considered getting the unity mount but I don't think I can stomach paying $300 for a magnifier mount then have to buy a $100 rise for the red dot

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Maybe a little. There's definitely more noticeable aberration. I did a side by side comparison with my Holosun Hm3xt magnifier last night and I might end up selling this Vortex specifically because of the mount. The holosun mount has front and rear lugs for the 1913 rail which help make it rock solid. The QD lever is also very low profile, and more secure despite being much easier to close. The vortex has as good an eye box as the 3x, but the red dot is magnified so much that the dot becomes somewhat blurry.

I considered getting the unity mount but I don't think I can stomach paying $300 for a magnifier mount then have to buy a $100 rise for the red dot
    For somebody who already owns a Unity mount, would the 6X be a good buy? I got an Omni for cheap and I’m trying to decide what magnifier to use. Leaning towards something in the 5-6X range.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    For somebody who already owns a Unity mount, would the 6X be a good buy? I got an Omni for cheap and I’m trying to decide what magnifier to use. Leaning towards something in the 5-6X range.
    Yeah I'd probably get it if I already had the Omni mount, I think it's otherwise great but the mount is the weak point

User Tag List