Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357mag Monolithic Solids

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

.357mag Monolithic Solids

Anyone have any experience loading them? Looking for a more effective field load that either 158gr LSWC or 180gr WFN.

Thanks
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I have not but color me interested. The search for a better field load led me to the 170gr 38-44 load. I have looked into these .357 165gr Handgun Solid - 50ct (cuttingedgebullets.com) and the corresponding load data, getting those to 1000fps seems very doable. Lehigh has a 140 penetrator that will go 1250. I'm not sure if I want to get into an expanding copper bullet, may for deer hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have not but color me interested. The search for a better field load led me to the 170gr 38-44 load. I have looked into these .357 165gr Handgun Solid - 50ct (cuttingedgebullets.com) and the corresponding load data, getting those to 1000fps seems very doable. Lehigh has a 140 penetrator that will go 1250. I'm not sure if I want to get into an expanding copper bullet, may for deer hunting?
    I might order some up to try. Not cheap tho. I was going to try this with my HK .45 as well but they were unavailable at the time and I went with lead.

I planned to start with the .44 and I have these on order .429 caliber, 265 grain Wide Flat Nose Lead-Free Bullets (lehighdefense.com) .429 caliber, 250 grain Xtreme Penetrator Lead-Free Bullets (lehighdefense.com)

I have more fun loading for and shooting my 44s (and I have a lot more LPP). I don't know why but loading for the .357 is like having to make nails for a nail gun.

What do you mean by more effective?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That was my first thought. I have loaded both the Cutting Edge and Lehigh Penetrator but you will not get the velocity or penetration that you will get with Hard cast lead.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    That was my first thought. I have loaded both the Cutting Edge and Lehigh Penetrator but you will not get the velocity or penetration that you will get with Hard cast lead.

Can you expound on this before I send 150$ down range?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Can you expound on this before I send 150$ down range?
    https://general-cartridge.com/2017/0...balistics-gel/

https://general-cartridge.com/2018/0...solid-bullets/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    From what I have found online and the previous discussion in the HK USP .45, it appears in some cases they penetrate better than hard lead for larger critters.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    From what I have found online and the previous discussion in the HK USP .45, it appears in some cases they penetrate better than hard lead for larger critters.
    I haven't seen anything showing that. I have seen that some guns work better with them.

User Tag List