Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front sight...departure?

Front sight...departure?

This afternoon I was Shooting the new M&P 9f I bought last week and something rather odd took place. The white dot in the front sight disappeared around round 300. At first I thought it was just carbon buildup, however upon closer inspection I saw that the actual dot flew out- There is a vacant hole where it used to reside.

I already spoke with S&W customer service and a new front sight is on the way, which is cool.

I'm really curious if this has happened with any regularity among new manufacture M&P's? I noticed Smith is no longer installing genuine Novak sights like they used to. Are the current sights supposed to be a durable, equivalent replacement,
    or a cost saving measure taken without regard to quality? (I have an M&P357f I purchased in 2007 with Novaks and ~ 10,000 rounds through it without parts falling off.)

Should I expect the new front sight to last more then 6 boxes of FMJ's or spring for some aftermarket sights? I actually like the stock 3 dots a lot, so this wasn't in the works. . .
    Last edited by JDM; 03-23-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    It's pretty common with the newer factory 3 dot sights.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    It's pretty common with the newer factory 3 dot sights.

Lovely.

Site Supporter
    Send me a pic of the older style that you like, I'll dig through my parts bin and see what I have laying around.

Send me a pic of the older style that you like, I'll dig through my parts bin and see what I have laying around.
    The fronts look identical aside from a small "s" on the right side of the newer front sight. The rear on the .357 is the real Novak I referenced.

New front:

Old front:

Rears-New non Novak at right

I much prefer the old ones.

Site Supporter
    Sorry, all of my extras are the Ledge style rear with an "s" front.

Sorry, all of my extras are the Ledge style rear with an "s" front.
    Thank you for looking anyway.

I have one, PM me your address and I will send it out tomorrow.

Jay
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Be glad it's just the dot.....My front sight has a bad habit of "exiting stage left" (M&P9L)

I've lost it off the slide 3x in approx 1000rds. Slide is going back to Smith next week.

I bought a M&P9c back in September and 70 rounds into the guns life, (during a class) the white dot fell out of the front sight. It made finishing the class somewhat challenging. S/W sent me a new one and so far no problems.

User Tag List