Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible that I’ve worn out my pistol barrel?

Site Supporter

Is it possible that I’ve worn out my pistol barrel?

BLUF: Is it possible that I’ve worn out my stainless B92 barrel in 17,000 rds?
    If so, would a chrome-lined steel barrel be a longer-lasting replacement?

I’m still having problems with keyholing out of my B92 LTT Elite.

I was pretty sure it was caused by the substandard coating on a couple of lots of Gallant bullets, but it’s re-emerged on yet another lot with coating that looks fine visually. The keyholing is happening on about 10-15% of rounds fired, and is especially noticeable in IDPA matches, as the cardboard targets really emphasize an oblong tear.

As an additional factor, my group size for 10-yd slow fire on a B-8 is somewhat degraded from the same load when the gun had only a couple thousand rounds through it.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s the gun, as my son is shooting the same ammunition out of his (mostly) stock B92, and we haven’t seen any keyholing from that gun. This is in regular IDPA matches that we shoot together, so I see all of his results.

The primary difference between the guns is that my gun has a stainless steel barrel with just over 17,000 rds through it.
    His gun has a conventional chrome-lined steel barrel with an estimated 5000 rds through it.

LTT stainless barrels have been out of stock for months, so getting at 1 for 1 replacement isn’t simple.
    I have an unfired stainless barrel on hand, and am contemplating having it cut and crowned to make a replacement, if required. That would run $40-70, plus shipping each way.
    Or, I see a source for a 4.7” (stock length for LTT Elite) 92X chrome-lined steel barrel. That would be about $230

I know I could try his barrel, and different ammunition, but if I need a new barrel, I need to act ASAP, as I’d like to avoid degraded performance in a major match that’s in about 3 weeks.

Thoughts from those more experienced than I?

Any damage to the crown?

Could there be a buildup of lead or bullet coating in the barrel? It should be pretty apparent if you had it up to a light.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Put a micrometer on the bullets. They could be undersized. Slug your barrel. Many 9mm barrels are actually .356 across the grooves.

Powdercoating is typically 0.003-0.004 inch thick, which is similar to the height of lands in many barrels. I imagine a tight fit would be needed. If the bullet is at all on the loose side before coating and the barrel is on the big side, you could just be spinning the coating off the bullets.

I'd clean the barrel and test with jacketed bullets, and with non-coated lead bullets that are sized to whatever your barrel slugs at.

If the rifling all looks good and distinct, it's unlikely it's worn out. Especially check the throat, which you can see easily from the chamber end. That's generally where wear will happen first. Non-magnum pistol barrels don't really wear out unless someone's done something really stupid, and definitely not in 17k rounds. Many old milsurp rifles with bores looking like an alligator's back still shoot decently.

If you're thinking about changing to the unfired barrel, if you have a Compact or Centurion and it's a FS barrel, you can still put it in the shorter slide to test function. It will just stick out a little more than it does anyway.

I've had a brand-new P250 .22LR keyhole about 7 out of 20 rounds at 7 yards when shooting the CCI powdercoated bullets. No issues with standard lead.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    No apparent damage to the crown. It’s an LTT elite, with a recessed crown, so it’s pretty protected.
    There was, however more lead built up in the recessed area than I first observed. once I started scraping it with a brass pick, I could see shiny bits of lead.

The bore likely has a coating of lead in it as well, as it has the same appearance as what I scraped off of the crown.
    It looks like it’s going to be harder to get out, though. I just broke out a new brass 9 mm cleaning brush to use.
    Rifling certainly still works distinct, though.

Looks like these Gallant Bullets are still leaving lead, even though the coating visually appears better than the last bad lot.

Looks like my next Range practice session will be with Federal Syntech, to see if I get different accuracy and keyholing results.
    And then likely using 400 rounds of that for the major match at the end of the month. Damn, I was hoping to use it at a local match where I could recover the brass.

Copper Chore Boy wrapped around an old brush works well for removing lead.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I had a P-220 that used to lead up every time I shot it. I found out that .453 bullets stopped the leading. It wasn't worn out, it just needed bigger bullets. I sold it to my neighbor because I didn't want to keep track of different bullet sizes. .452 lead was the bullet size for all of my 1911's. I've since sold most of my 1911's so I regret that. I've tried to buy it back but no luck. Inflation.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-01-2022 at 07:35 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I would first try the Chore Boy wrapped around a bore brush.

When I had a Brigadier with the factory barrel it didn't like lead bullets smaller than .357.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I had a P-220 that used to lead up every time I shot it. I found out that .453 bullets stopped the leading. It wasn't worn out, it just needed bigger bullets. I sold it to my neighbor because I didn't want to keep track of different bullet sizes. .452 lead was the bullet size for all of my 1911's. I've since sold most of my 1911's so I regret that. I've tried to buy it back but no luck. Inflation.
    Thanks.

I’ve experimented with 9mm bullet diameter as well. I’d been told that Berettas tended to prefer .357.
    So I ordered a lot of. 357, and a lot of. 356 from Gallant about 3 years ago. The accuracy difference was marginal, but slightly favored .356, which was the “standard” Gallant product. So I stuck with those.
    I’ve spoken to Shem at Gallant several times over the last 6 months regarding poor quality coating. He always had me send back the bad lot, and sent replacements.
    The last lot of 1,000 replacements reportedly have a different brand of coating, as they were having quality problems with the product they were getting from the previous supplier. Unfortunately, I still have more than 5,000 of their older product (produced during COVID silliness), so I’ll be shooting them for the next year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Thanks.

I’ve experimented with 9mm bullet diameter as well. I’d been told that Berettas tended to prefer .357.
    So I ordered a lot of. 357, and a lot of. 356 from Gallant about 3 years ago. The accuracy difference was marginal, but slightly favored .356, which was the “standard” Gallant product. So I stuck with those.
    I’ve spoken to Shem at Gallant several times over the last 6 months regarding poor quality coating. He always had me send back the bad lot, and sent replacements.
    The last lot of 1,000 replacements reportedly have a different brand of coating, as they were having quality problems with the product they were getting from the previous supplier. Unfortunately, I still have more than 5,000 of their older product (produced during COVID silliness), so I’ll be shooting them for the next year or so.
    .356 is standard for 9mm lead. If you don't have better performance with .357 then it must be the bullet. I suspect inconsistent bullet size. I've seen it with some mfr's. Not naming any names. I've had .4515 bullets sold as .452. If your barrel likes .453, that's going to be a problem.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-01-2022 at 09:48 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    No apparent damage to the crown. It’s an LTT elite, with a recessed crown, so it’s pretty protected.
    There was, however more lead built up in the recessed area than I first observed. once I started scraping it with a brass pick, I could see shiny bits of lead.

The bore likely has a coating of lead in it as well, as it has the same appearance as what I scraped off of the crown.
    It looks like it’s going to be harder to get out, though. I just broke out a new brass 9 mm cleaning brush to use.
    Rifling certainly still works distinct, though.

Looks like these Gallant Bullets are still leaving lead, even though the coating visually appears better than the last bad lot.

Looks like my next Range practice session will be with Federal Syntech, to see if I get different accuracy and keyholing results.
    And then likely using 400 rounds of that for the major match at the end of the month. Damn, I was hoping to use it at a local match where I could recover the brass.

CLR (not CLP) with jag and patch then chase with alcohol or water

My MPX leads and scrubbing with brass doesn’t do anything by itself.

User Tag List