Thread: Laser Dry-Fire Traiining Opinions

Laser Dry-Fire Traiining Opinions

Any opinions about this dry-fire training system?

https://mantisx.com/collections/lase...g-kit-standard

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    Any opinions about this dry-fire training system?

https://mantisx.com/collections/lase...g-kit-standard

Randy
    I have it. I like it. It does some things better than others. Not a lot of good for multiple shot strings or transitions but does keep trigger control drills, and draws and the like interesting. I like a number of drills it has like the Hunt drill for example. It has a target with different shapes on it and it calls them out at random. I would not call it a game changer or anything like that, but with ammo still being what I consider too expensive and not looking to go back to where it was, I am exploring all avenues.

I don’t currently have any laser or other type of dry fire trainer but when Im ready to spend the money,..? I’m almost certainly going to get THIS one! Cool Fire. Watch the video long enough to get past the intro stuff to see exactly what the system is capable of. It looks REALLY cool. It aint cheap, but then What is when it cones to guns?

https://coolfiretrainer.com/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_mjw23aXZv0

Follow up,…

I found this video review and these two products, the Cool Fire & Mantis system together would seem to be the Ideal Dry Fire combo. Probably cost about as much as buying a new mid/high end pistol, but the instant, DETAILED feedback with using your own actual firearm in your own environment? Priceless!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=355wctUdnjk

During the lockdown I got a Mantis X10, some Pink Rhino laser cartridges, and a 9mm bore sight cartridge.

I worked with the Mantis X10 but I found the feedback wasn't as intuitive as a laser cartridge. I hardly use the Mantis X10 now.

I tried out the laser training apps but found I really didn't need the added complication of an app on my phone and physically setting it up to record hits to train effectively. I can see where my "shots" land with a naked eye, even when focused on the front sight.

I setup a 7 yard laser shooting "range" in the house, posted a 4" bullseye based on Matt Burkett's center-focus target (from his book, "Practical Shooting Manual") on a wall, and use a shot timer. The Pink Rhino cartridge is a great training tool, IMO.

A laser bore sight cartridge is superb for practice with working the trigger without moving the gun. With a bore sight cartridge the laser is constantly on, whereas with a laser cartridge the laser shines momentarily when the firing pin strikes it.

I suggest buying just a laser cartridge first and getting some experience with it and the free laser training apps that are available.

When you start using it, take the time to ensure you're maintaining your shooting discipline: shoot, follow-through, remove your finger from the trigger guard, and tap-rack to prep for the next shot. It's easy to get sloppy with your technique. I program a 10-12 second delay between repetitions on my shot timer to give me plenty of time to holster and make ready for the next shot. 100 rounds of laser dryfire training takes me about a half hour.

With a laser cartridge I cured a problem I had with my G42, in which I would pull the shot left to 9:00 o'clock. The G42 is the only pistol I've ever had this problem with, and I still don't know what I was doing wrong, but I no longer do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    During the lockdown I got a Mantis X10, some Pink Rhino laser cartridges, and a 9mm bore sight cartridge.

I worked with the Mantis X10 but I found the feedback wasn't as intuitive as a laser cartridge. I hardly use the Mantis X10 now.

I tried out the laser training apps but found I really didn't need the added complication of an app on my phone and physically setting it up to record hits to train effectively. I can see where my "shots" land with a naked eye, even when focused on the front sight.

I setup a 7 yard laser shooting "range" in the house, posted a 4" bullseye based on Matt Burkett's center-focus target (from his book, "Practical Shooting Manual") on a wall, and use a shot timer. The Pink Rhino cartridge is a great training tool, IMO.

A laser bore sight cartridge is superb for practice with working the trigger without moving the gun. With a bore sight cartridge the laser is constantly on, whereas with a laser cartridge the laser shines momentarily when the firing pin strikes it.

I suggest buying just a laser cartridge first and getting some experience with it and the free laser training apps that are available.

When you start using it, take the time to ensure you're maintaining your shooting discipline: shoot, follow-through, remove your finger from the trigger guard, and tap-rack to prep for the next shot. It's easy to get sloppy with your technique. I program a 10-12 second delay between repetitions on my shot timer to give me plenty of time to holster and make ready for the next shot. 100 rounds of laser dryfire training takes me about a half hour.

With a laser cartridge I cured a problem I had with my G42, in which I would pull the shot left to 9:00 o'clock. The G42 is the only pistol I've ever had this problem with, and I still don't know what I was doing wrong, but I no longer do it.
    Thank you!!!!!

There is a ton of work you can do with a laser cartridge and the LaserHIT app. The basic app is free but there is a timer upgrade for $10 that is well worth it. I also have the Mantis Laser Academy - it does more and is more elegant than LaserHIT but it's not an amazing difference.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List