Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used 870 barrel or aftermarket?

Used 870 barrel or aftermarket?

I inherited a older wingmaster. I'd like to set it up with rifle sights or vang comp sentinel sights and a shorter wood stock. I might get the vang comp treatment on the barrel.

I'd greatly prefer to not touch the vented rib barrel or factory stock and forend.

It seems Remington isn't making new replacement barrels. I'm looking at used 870 factory barrels. Anything to look for or look out for when selecting one?

Anyone have experience with carlson's aftermarket barrels? Would that be a better option than a used one?

I believe that Rem made some 870 barrels for receivers that had left side (port) eject. Those won't fit a normal 870 receiver. The alignment notch and ejection cutout are on the opposite side.

Make sure you aren't buying a left handed barrel. I don't think they were common but just be sure.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Carlson made some very nice rifled (for slug) barrels. My memory is it was less expensive to buy a whole used 870 than an aftermarket barrel. That may have changed with the loss of production due to the change in corporate ownership.

I, someone who enjoys the hunt, would keep any eye on pawn shops and gun stores for used 870s with a barrel and stock that meet the need. Unless you buy a Special Field, the 870 Competition, or a left-hand gun, the barrels and furniture can be swapped with no issues on all 12-gauges. Look for guns that have cosmetic issues for the best deals. Lots of guns have been made over the years, and sales seem to be settling down from the COVID spike.

If used is not in the cards, I would not hesitate to purchase a new 870.

Carlson barrels are chrome lined and not eligible for a trip to Vang. They do come with screw in chokes, are available with rifle sights, and are easy to get though.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...d-rifled-choke
    This one may work. It is a Carlson barrel so it appears it can’t go to vang. Not a horrible price considering.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

When I had my wing master vanged, Hans picked out a good barrel for me and jug choked it.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Mossberg actually makes barrels for the Remington 870. https://www.mossberg.com/store/parts...ngton-870.html

The only one currently in stock on the Mossberg website is an 18.5" breacher barrel for $183. You may be able to find others at retailers or at the online auction sites.

Quote Originally Posted by 37th Mass View Post
    Mossberg actually makes barrels for the Remington 870. https://www.mossberg.com/store/parts...ngton-870.html

The only one currently in stock on the Mossberg website is an 18.5" breacher barrel for $183. You may be able to find others at retailers or at the online auction sites.
    Thanks for the tip. Pretty decent barrels?

From what I have read on the interwebs, they are fine, but I have no first-hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Pretty decent barrels?
    We replaced a couple of slug sight barrels with the Mossberg barrels and they worked just fine. Don't recall if they were 18 or 18.5. This was over ten years ago so take it for what it's worth.

I hate on the Mossberg 500's quite a bit, but every Mossberg we had - 500's, 590's and 590A1's - was a good patterning shotgun, those barrels continued the trend, although on 870's.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List