Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you shoot any better with a light on your pistol?

Do you shoot any better with a light on your pistol?

Fisrt off I debated if I should post this in the semi-auto pistol forum or in the accessories forum but decided on here so move if needed.

I'm asking because I shoot a Glock 45 in USPSA Carry Optics and the rules changed in the last year or so to allow people to use a pisotl light if they want to. A lot of people are gaming it putting the heaviest light they can on it (The Lok brass light is the gamer light of choice as it's basicalya 7oz chunk of brass) and the gamiest pistol light seems to be the TLR-1 at 4.1oz

And this kind of led me to this post asking the question is 4oz of weight out front really going to change it that much? Do you shoot better with a pistol light on your gun?

Site Supporter
    I do find the weight to help slightly. But its not significant (at least for me).

If I suck without a light I'm still going to suck with one and vice versa.

I've not done my own testing but I noted that a lot of strong CO shooters have added lights to their polymer guns. Not as much to TXG SIGs but quite a few Glocks and Caniks are wearing those lights now.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

First the negatives. A light slightly interferes with my high support hand grip. It complicates holster selection. The light can slightly slow your draw, due to more edges dragging on Kydex. The lens of the light is always filthy.

On the positive side, there is a school of thought that if it reciprocates lighten it, and if it stays still make it heavier. There is also a trade off between weight helping splits, but hurting transitions.

I used a light on my M&P in CO, did not on the Canik Rival or 320 AXG, and do not on my timmie Open Glock 19. I would say I am neither pro or con a light, although I do note that most stronger shooters do not use a light.
    Last edited by GJM; 04-30-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I think a PML may improve my shooting, but I put a lot of rounds through duty pistols with lights attached when I was a real cop. If you're mounting a light strictly for competition purposes rather than real world applications (nothing wrong with that), I'm consider GJM's thoughts on it slowing your presentation and balance that with any increase in accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The lens of the light is always filthy.
    When you oil your gun, put a light coat of oil on the lens of your light. The soot won’t stick to the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    When you oil your gun, put a light coat of oil on the lens of your light. The soot won’t stick to the lens.

I think I will need to oil my pistol more frequently!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post

I've heard you can use Chapstick for the same purpose.

A paper towe/ragl and toothpaste will clean that lens right up.

"I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Hadn't heard of the Lok light. You Stent kidding about gameing..

"LED Light: The LED light is not intended to be used as a flashlight and is only included because it is required in USPSA."

User Tag List