Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American Rifleman Reviews the 2011 Staccato

Staccato P and Leupold Deltapoint Pro in Jacksonville.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Here's a bit of history on how the Staccato became a thing in LE.

It would be interesting to see how these departments with widespread issuance compare to the rest of the nation. Has this California department seen anything change in rounds fired vs. suspects hit? And then how does the 2011 compare in terms of user maintenance and parts replacement after the fact? Does the 4:1 cost ratio make any difference?

I can guess the answers. Still, I'm glad to see the 1911 soldiering on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's a bit of history on how the Staccato became a thing in LE.
    I only listened for a minute. Did he say how many of those 1300 LE divisions issue those vs approve for duty?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I only listened for a minute. Did he say how many of those 1300 LE divisions issue those vs approve for duty?
    He says guns are carried by officers covering 1300 departments and 49 states. Could that be one guy who bought one on a 200 man department? Is that the range sergeant who uses one for instructor demos? He doesn't break it down that far.

He does say that Ontario, CA bought guns for the entire 300+ officer department. Ontario is the largest mass issuance to date.

I would buy one of these for my own collection but I would not carry it on duty just based on the thumb safety and I don't have enough time left in the job to retrain my brain. One concern I have seen with these is the mag dropping out. I have seen two OIS videos, both in Cali I think, where the gun fires 1 round and the mag drops out. Likely it is an extended mag release being hit during the firing sequence (only a guess), but that is a big concern. I have been in a shooting class where it happened to the instructor who was using a custom 2011 also (happened probably 3 times). Southern LE agencies seem to have a 1911/2011 culture. Here in the midwest and local to me there is a Sheriff's department that has had 1911 as the issue gun for all of my 28 years but are soon going all Glock I believe. There are a few one off's but that type of platform is not really a thing in these parts. I hope the guys who carry them are true gun guys and are proactive on maintenance and upkeep.

I think the idea is that 1300 agencies allow the use of them as approved guns but most cops are not gun people as it has been covered here before. At the agencies where officers buy their own guns, most will go with the standard and not spend more than what a Glock or Sig would cost. I would also think most instructors would steer people towards a standard gun as it is likely easier to get them trained up vs the work that may be required for a 2011/1911 platform.

@R.M.T. any movement with GCSO to a hicap?

User Tag List