Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre model 10.

This is a Tyler, and marked as so.
    It appears to be an anodized aluminum, with a black finish. Where the black finish is worn, it almost appears to be a royal blue, approaching purple.

Indeed the sight was not lowered in any way, just re-profiled. Dad had painted it yellow, but 90% of the paint was missing, so I removed it.
    I'll try to get a better picture later, as I'm back to dad's house again today.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I'm in the process of trying to get my parents into an assisted living facility, and spent most of last weekend cleaning and throwing away things they'll not need anymore.
    In the bottom of my father's closet was a very old lock box, for which he did not have, or could not find the key. Definitely something inside, so I drilled out the lock.

Inside, along with many rounds of loose ammo was my father's first service revolver, which he was issued in June of '63 when he signed on:
    A Smith pre model 10 M&P, from what I can date to 1953-54.

Attachment 88195

He remembered that he carried this particular revolver until issued a Colt Trooper, and then a S&W 686.
    He can't remember anything about the sight mod, [it's been filed into a notch sight] except recalling that the domed sight was very hard to see. The pre-Magnas are worn, and chipped, and the T grip seals the deal.
    Told me that he was the very first officer to attend the police academy for that town, and actually attended the NJ State Police academy at the time.

It was very dry, and basically sighed when I oiled it, and I plan on attempting to remove the side plate on this 5 screw, very carefully,and clean out the gunk.

I'll post more pictures later of the plumb color and patina on the top of the frame.

I'm really glad we found it, and it wasn't just discarded.
    Best wishes for your family. It was rough when we had to move mom out of the house she’d lived over 50 years and raised 4 kids in. Same with my grandparents.

Cool find, and thanks to your dad for his service. There’s more lucrative and far less-demanding careers than wearing the blue, so major props to those who serve.

A very common front sight mod for the day. If unfamiliar with S&W disassembly, apply 1 drop of penetrating oil to each side plate screw if they don't break loose easily using a properly fitting screwdriver. Remove the grips and to pop out the side plate simply strike the grip frame with a lead babbitt bar or soft faced brass hammer and it should pop right out. Too many times I've seen damaged frames and side plates where unknowing people tried to pry the side plate out with a screwdriver. You should be able to clean congealed oil from internal parts using Kroll and a soft horsehair paint brush. If unfamiliar with detailed disassembly get someone to help you or consult one of the shop manuals. S&Ws are easy to work on, but require basic instruction, the proper tools and finesse.

It’s Lengthy, But Worth It.

Site Supporter
    What a treasure. The gun itself is cool. Knowing it was your dad's and hearing the story behind it is awesome. And don't even think about restoring or refinishing that gun. It earned that look. Respect it and just keep it clean. Oh, and shoot it too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    What a treasure. The gun itself is cool. Knowing it was your dad's and hearing the story behind it is awesome. And don't even think about restoring or refinishing that gun. It earned that look. Respect it and just keep it clean. Oh, and shoot it too.

Dave
    CSW; Dave T (thanks!) pretty much summed up most of what I wanted to say (creativity is great; plagiarism is faster!).

To add...
    Through your diligence and thoroughness (and a bit of good fortune) going through your parent's things, you've preserved a wonderful piece of America, in addition to a family heirloom. Congrats, use in good health, and best wishes for getting your parents settled. Having helped move my mom (who will turn 95 next month) closer to me in 2021, I definitely appreciate what you're doing.

-Rainman

Final packing today.... Found another one.
    Pictures to follow.

Site Supporter
    Your dad is waaaay cooler than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Your dad is waaaay cooler than mine.
    Bwahahaha...

I love stories with a happy ending.

User Tag List