Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cliff's Notes for setup please

Cliff's Notes for setup please

I haven't reloaded since the late '90's (Dillon Square Deal B, loaded 9mm).
    Back then I just bought the Dillon package deal and went to town.
    Traded it all in on a gun of some kind 25 years ago.

Now I want to reload .38 special wadcutters and only .38 special wadcutters in relatively small batches (say 50-100 per month) to shoot in Scandium framed J's.
    I need a shopping list please...
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Lee Turret Press
    Lee Carbide Dies
    Lee Factory Crimp Die
    Hornady/Lee/RCBS powder measure (or an automatic one of same)
    Cheap electronic scale if buying manual powder measure
    Set of calipers if you want to be anal
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    pretty much what @entropy said. I've used that set up for over 20 years to load everything I shoot except for 223, 9mm, and rimfire. There are additional tools and accessories that will make things easier, but you'll be able to get started with that and probably won't need anything else for 38 wadcutters.

Chris

Not connected with them in any way/shape/form but Titan Reloading out of WI is a stocking Lee dealer and they’re excellent to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I haven't reloaded since the late '90's (Dillon Square Deal B, loaded 9mm).
    Back then I just bought the Dillon package deal and went to town.
    Traded it all in on a gun of some kind 25 years ago.

Now I want to reload .38 special wadcutters and only .38 special wadcutters in relatively small batches (say 50-100 per month) to shoot in Scandium framed J's.
    I need a shopping list please...
    Lee Classic Turret Kit + Lee 4 die set of choice. That covers almost everything you'd need. (The Value Turret I have no experience with. The Value Turret Kit lacks some stuff that you should add.)

The Classic Turret press is not as fast as a progressive, but way less trouble than a progressive, and way faster than a single stage.

It's kind of overkill for what you want to do.

Tagging in my guy who knows things.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    If you decide to reload a other calibers, a few spare turrets make for a very quick caliber swap.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Not connected with them in any way/shape/form but Titan Reloading out of WI is a stocking Lee dealer and they’re excellent to work with.
    Yes indeed! Also this business is a mom and pop affair.

You can't beat the Lee Cast Turret press. I suggest the Lee automatic powder measure. With it you can expand and drop powder at the same time. Lee dies come equipped to do this. The hollow expander is the drop tube. The .38 S&W expander does a really good job for loading cast bullets. It's very slightly larger in diameter. This cartridge is not the same as the .38 Special. I urge you to use Win 231 powder which is a ball powder. Ball powders meter better than other types. 231 is a fast burning powder similar to Bullseye and is ideal for your purpose.

Thanks. I've been trying to get a reloading setup together and every time I think I'm good to go I discover yet another item I don't want to spend money on..

One thing that has not been mentioned yet, which I discovered that I needed, is the universal decapping die. It turns out you need this thing if you want to deprime brass before cleaning it (and without breaking your bench top).

Does anyone have an affordable scale to recommend which is not made in China? Highly doubt this, but worth a shot.

I’ll pile on some more...

The universal decapper is great for reasons stated above.

Also agree on the ball powder. I was recently charging some .357 with H110 (another ball powder) after I set the measure up to toss the weight and ran two, it was SPOT on for the entire reloading session. I mean spot on...not +/- .1...but spot on.

Not sure if you have a cleaning tumbler still, but nothing beats hot water, a squirt of Dawn soap, and a tablespoon of LemiShine. That will run you $10 bucks and will last quite a while. Stir briskly.

Not sure on the scale. I have an older RCBS beam scale, a Lyman Auto Measure, and an old MyWeigh. The MyWeigh “was” fantastic until the AC converter broke. I ordered a new one, but it doesn’t have a ferrite coil filter on the cord. I’m still struggling with getting it to work well again. I think any inexpensive little digital scale will suffice personally. Most are good down to .1gr.

I have a Lee Loadmaster that sits with a cover over it protecting it from dust. (I know...insert joke >here<) The truth is I just don’t require the volume anymore. Maybe I will again someday, but not now. The turret press for handgun and non precision rifle, and a single stage for precision rifle is all I ever use.

Yes, Titan is “Mom and Pop” and are great. I’ve been in the brick and mortar store a bunch. They have a good relationship with Lee (being so close geographically) and their in-stock beats most every online vendor for availability.

User Tag List