Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: John Lovell Offends Anyone Born Before 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    I gotta say I find it interesting that after all these years the 1911 is still such a polarizing gun that videos like this are still being made.

I looked at the video while I did some office work so I probably didn’t pay it the attention it deserves but I was more troubled by what seemed to be his lack of understanding of how a pistol should be zeroed than anything he said about the 1911 platform.

At the same time I find it interesting that my kid first shot a 45ACP 1911 when he was 5 or 6 and was able to have the gun work without issue while this professional was buffaloed by a 100+ year old design. Maybe my kid just had a better gun?

... all of my inherent pro-1911 biases are included in the above statement...
    Can I like a quote 5 times?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I see so many shooters, some very experienced and professional, who've hated on Gods Gun pretty much forever. Yet now, they're acting as if the Staccato is the second coming of Jesus or something. It's a head scratcher. I guess anyone is susceptible to the flavor of the moment syndrome.

I also think magazine bans did wonders for the 1911s life extension. It seemed to be on the steep decline before ten round mags became a thing, then there was another surge in 1911 interest.
    Look also at how 9mm 1911s and similar patterns, heretofore judged to be ONLY viable in, say, .38 Super and .45ACP, were all of a sudden able to be produced and reliably operated in other calibers....as the God's Gun progenitors started getting older and needed something that didn't beat up their pretzel joints as much... As soon as they had a direct, "affects-ME" need for 9mm to work, 9mm started being a viable option.

RE: 2011...despite the Corps' most recent, idiotic last-hurrah w/the M45A1, and the stubborn hangers-on, the pattern remains a sub-optimal ORGANIZATIONAL weapon in the face of what's available from modern production. It's not about the gun itself, but being able to support it through it's life-cycle. The need for a no-shit organic gunsmith capability, vice a more straightforward and attainable armorer capability, has been and will be again a slap in the face to those agencies who make it a pool gun. Warranties only go so far; once they're done, without organic gunsmithing, you end up with a lot of guns sitting in the cage with paper tags hanging offa the trigger-guard because that's all you can do with then until they're unfucked or otherwise dealt with...all too frequently by yet another source-selection. That's often paid a lot of lip-service, because it's just not the sexy part of weapons' procurement.

If that was ever institutional knowledge within the LE community, it was lost somewhere along the way, and is probably gonna be re-learned. Filed under "I hope I'm wrong...but don't think I am

Can someone create a YouTube video that reignites the 9 mm vs 45 ACP debate again?

( or combat sight picture versus Target sight picture, or Glock versus XYZ, or 226 vs 92,.......)

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Look also at how 9mm 1911s and similar patterns, heretofore judged to be ONLY viable in, say, .38 Super and .45ACP, were all of a sudden able to be produced and reliably operated in other calibers....as the God's Gun progenitors started getting older and needed something that didn't beat up their pretzel joints as much... As soon as they had a direct, "affects-ME" need for 9mm to work, 9mm started being a viable option.

RE: 2011...despite the Corps' most recent, idiotic last-hurrah w/the M45A1, and the stubborn hangers-on, the pattern remains a sub-optimal ORGANIZATIONAL weapon in the face of what's available from modern production. It's not about the gun itself, but being able to support it through it's life-cycle. The need for a no-shit organic gunsmith capability, vice a more straightforward and attainable armorer capability, has been and will be again a slap in the face to those agencies who make it a pool gun. Warranties only go so far; once they're done, without organic gunsmithing, you end up with a lot of guns sitting in the cage with paper tags hanging offa the trigger-guard because that's all you can do with then until they're unfucked or otherwise dealt with...all too frequently by yet another source-selection. That's often paid a lot of lip-service, because it's just not the sexy part of weapons' procurement.

If that was ever institutional knowledge within the LE community, it was lost somewhere along the way, and is probably gonna be re-learned. Filed under "I hope I'm wrong...but don't think I am
    This type of stuff is what prompted many 1911 makers to produce an external extractor version and people like Hilton Yam to encourage development. But it turned out the external extractor can be even more problematic than the legacy design. As it stands now I think only SIG and S&W have stuck to the external design. I think Ed Brown also makes a 9mm external extractor gun but that's probably not a mass production item.

It would be interesting to see how the current crop of 1911s are working out for departments that allow them as general carry. Are the mass produced guns made on modern equipment and with some MIM parts working out okay or do they need constant tweaking of extractors, mag feed lips, etc to keep the guns operating?

Re the 2011 it sounds like LAPD and Texas Rangers have been carrying these guns for awhile. Institutionally both groups have a pretty long history with the 1911. Is the 2011 working better/as good/worse than Kimber, Colt, etc with officers?

One final thing regarding the "complicated" manual of arms. It is interesting to me that many agencies, mine included, now stress the manipulation of the selector lever on the M16 series but see the thumb safety on a handgun as something that will get officers killed. Is that really the case? As we've all heard stories of cops who died with shirt or pants pockets filled with 38 cases and officers who couldn't fire because the safety was on or the de-cock lever was engaged, I'd speculate that these have been the very rare exceptions and not the historic norm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Barfing on 1911 platforms is stupid.
    Equally stupid is barfing on all other platforms.

Born before 1980, don’t give a fuck.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Born before 1980, don’t give a fuck.
    For the win.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    So what is the driver for this?
    Slick marketing?
    Cool kid factor?
    Better qual scores?

I don't get it. You get in my opinion a better trigger, but a more complicated manual of arms due to the grip safety and thumb safety.
    How does that work for the non-gun guy officer who views his service weapon as just another tool, like his radio or pen.
    I have heard it repeated endless times that due to the thumb safety and grip safety on a 1911, it is difficult to learn/master and utilize the appropriate manual of arms for the pistol.

You pick up the pistol from where it is laying or from your holster. If you have a proper grip, the grip safety is activated. If it isn't, learn to grip the pistol properly, or adjust the grip safety so it activates when properly gripped.

When you pick up the pistol from where it is laying or from your holster, your trigger finger is straight alongside the pistol and your shooting hand thumb is resting on top of the thumb safety. If it isn't, see "learn to grip the pistol properly" above.

As the shooter indexes the pistol on the target, the shooting hand thumb (which is already on top of the thumb safety) applies slight pressure downward, disengaging the thumb safety. Align sights and press trigger until problem solved.

After the problem is solved, place trigger finger alongside pistol and apply slight upward pressure on the bottom of the thumb safety, engaging it.

Based on the whining I hear about the 1911, one would think that the above process is akin to performing brains surgery while playing the violin.

It took me about two minutes to figure out how to do it consistently, and I am likely as far from "naturally gifted" with a pistol as anyone reading this forum.

The world has changed a lot over the past 40 years. People used to know how to communicate in writing and in personal speech. Most of those I came in contact could spell. Many, including ladies, could change a flat tire on their car when necessary. And tell a kid "NO" when they needed to be told "NO". They even figured out rotary dial phones at relatively early ages.

But that was then, and this is now. I have to agree. Time has passed the 1911 by and it just doesn't suit the needs of today's shooters. Even those shooters who are "Poet Warriors".

But that isn't because of the design of the 1911. It's because its just too HARD!

God forbid we get into a discussion about how brutal the recoil of a 1911 is when shooting a 230 gr. caliber .45 ACP cartridge. That recoil AND A THUMBB AND GRIP SAFETY????

I feel faint just thinking about it. I will be in the parlor eating Tide pods.

Here's, just because it is from some years ago and may be new to some internet folks, Phuc Long's video on how to keep the 1911 running. Lol! Good stuff!

And another FU classic!

User Tag List