Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: John Lovell Offends Anyone Born Before 1980

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's quite literally the reason I don't visit gun shops anymore. I just got that tired of walking into an LGS and having some AARP member want to engage with me about his 1911 and give life advice over my choice of a commie poodle-shooter.

I have a diagnosed allergy to boomerism.

When you do, I have a stack of mags that someone lent to me to help get you restarted
    I am weirdly in this place where I have more 9mm 1911s than 45 1911s and so i get lectures both from boomers and warrior poets.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post

It took me about two minutes to figure out how to do it consistently, and I am likely as far from "naturally gifted" with a pistol as anyone reading this forum.
    It took you about two minutes to figure out how to do it under zero stress in an extremely static environment. Do you think you'd be equally consistent when someone was grappling you, you were knocked on your ass, you were drawing with a compromised grip due to those factors, fatigue, injury, etc?

See, the thing is every 1911 owner thinks they are 100% at those simple tasks because they have that two minute mastery and are sure it'll translate into everything else. Yet in open enrollment classes, local IDPA matches, and the occasional real world event I see people proven wrong. "Its a training issue" will be the inevitable reply. Sure, everything is a training issue. How much ECQC training are you doing? How much fighting injured training are you doing? How much prone because you got your bell rung and you aren't braining exactly like you were before you got ambushed by some thug training are you doing? Because that's when simple shit isn't simple shit any longer and the stakes are real high. The training commitment to be 100% is much more involved than many assume, including anyone who thinks they mastered it in 2 minutes.

The 1911 is an easy gun to shoot. It has the romance appeal. I'll personally never carry anything with a grip safety, and would only do a manual safety if no other options existed. You do you, but the '2 minutes to consistency' is self delusion.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    Fun thread to read.

Owned a few 1911 over the years I was a young man. The legend and romance were just too much for me and thought it was the only pistol in the world worth shooting.Then I saw Lethal Weapon and the 16 on tap was just too much for me to take! The 92 became a USP which then became a HK45 while I tried to recapture my macho at 30 then the Glock 19 took over and I haven't looked back in 20+ years.
    Is 1965 vintage?
    Last edited by CHNEAL; 05-01-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Back in 2010 I took a pistol class at The Marksman in Puyallup from a guy that was a 15 year vet of the Tacoma PD. He had a super fancy 1911 that he spent a lot of money on and was quite fond of. Another guy in the class had a 1911 that he was bragging about during the classroom portion. Once we hit the range, the instructor demo'd the first drill. The student with the 1911 was next to me and his gun shit the bed faster than Amber Heard. His gun continued to have problems through the whole day and he remarked that it had never done that before and had several thousands of rounds through it. The word flawless might have been floated around. I think the guy bought into the romanticized mystique of the 1911 and never bothered to shoot it or run it hard prior to the class.

So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts. - James Madison

The quote may be about politics but it seemed appropriate here as well.....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I could probably be happy with .38 Special and 9x19 exclusively, but I've spent the last 30+ years accumulating .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Special and Mag, and .45 ACP brass. If I sold those guns, I'd have to figure out what to do with the brass and ammo I have for them.
    After I purged the safes and shelves of any handgun not a 9x19 or .38/.357 - with the exception of .22LR - I felt remorse very seldom, and never enough to backslide. Interestingly, I was able to sell and/or swap almost all the miscellaneous ammo or components for as much as (or sometimes more than) what I paid. That was a pleasant and unexpected outcome.

The firearms themselves, well, let's just say that I didn't do quite as well with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Lovell had his way with you two.

!!!

If anyone tells me in the Year of Our Lord 2022 that 1911's are either:

1. Still the penultimate combat handgun
    2. Now totally worthless for self defense

I suddenly feel a bit better about my life simply because I don't really care, nor do I have to. To be fair - and not somehow discriminate on the basis of age - equivalent assertions about SIG P320's produce the same effect on me.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I get so tired of these young whippersnappers, tide pod eating, millennials disrespecting the greatest side arm invented by man.
    Who mentioned the Hi-Power?
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

A while back I walked away from social media, including this place. What should be the greatest information sharing tool in the history of mankind is really it's most toxic creation. It seems to bring out the worst in people, including myself. It's a time suck I decided I didn't need. I left this place because, every time I logged on, I found less and less about pistolcraft and more and more bitching over politics, older and younger generations, the state of the world, COVID and what have you. In short: just a bitchfest.

Fast forward to now. I log back on because I have a couple of things to share some may find interesting. What do I find? Not much has changed. Here we have a thread now nearly 150 posts long sparked by a clickbait video by some YouTuber that should hardly be taken seriously. Yet, the level of butt hurt and moral virtue signaling rivals anything produced by G4 and Frosk. That's on both sides of the issue folks. What should largely be taken with a tongue firmly in cheek has become a source of insults over everything from equipment choices to generational placement.

So, it appears the bitching hasn't stopped and none of the kiddies care who has the conch. I had determined social media was a time suck I didn't need. Thank you for showing me my initial decision was correct.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The guy has a YouTube channel called “Warrior Poet.” He has to get clicks to stay relevant, he’s effectively a carnival barker. Good for him, making money doing YouTube is safer and in someways probably a better life than many of us have chosen to lead. I’ve spent the better part of 20+ years bouncing back and forth between a Glock 17 and 1911 (quality 1911, not a Kimber) with the odd Sig or HK thrown in. If he’s slower and less accurate doing anything with a 1911…..it’s operator error. A quality 1911 is faster and more accurate then the vast majority of modern service pistols out there. It just is. The issue with them is they are expensive, heavy, have a lower capacity, and fire a more expensive cartridge. That’s it. The Stacatto cures a few of those issues but not all.

Weight is a big concern as most of us age with back issues after a life spent carrying around all kinds of gear. Cost is an issue because money is a resource to be used wisely. The .45 does seem unnecessary with modern 9mm. Is capacity an issue? We can all point to the very rare case where someone actually needed more than 11 rounds, but their diet, alcohol consumption, lack of using a seatbelt, and driving style are far far far more likely to do them in.

The reality is we argue over guns to have something to talk about, it’s all really just noise. In almost all gunfights, it doesn’t really matter what gun you have. People will argue over a Glock vs M&P or a Walther vs HK, or a Sig P226 vs P320. Or everything vs the 1911. Watch a bunch of shooting videos. It’s more often than not an incredibly quick oh crap moment with wildly fired rounds at close range. Wether or not the gun will shoot a 1 inch group at 25 yards or have a 79 round magazine just doesn’t seem to matter much. As long as the gun will go bang when the trigger is pulled, it really doesn’t matter what gun it is. If that’s a Wilson CQB, a Glock 17, a S&W M&P, or whatever in 9mm or above it just doesn’t matter. Your holster and draw speed is way more important than which gun it is. Thing is though that doesn’t leave nearly as much to talk about that people will watch videos about…..so the poet has to come up with something and why not this? We’re all talking about it after watching the video……he succeeded in his objective. Shoot what you shoot, enjoy what you enjoy…skip all the noise…..and work on those draw strokes and safe handling.

User Tag List