Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dallas PD Dropping SIG = CHEAP P226R-DAKs Time to Convert to TDA

Site Supporter
    There are some on GB:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-...me=Sig%20Sauer

I tried DAK in a P239 a few years ago.

I see the logic in DAO and I shoot DA pretty well, provided: 1. I can fully reach the trigger, 2. the pull is reasonably free of stacking, and 3. there's not a ton of overtravel. I thought DAK in a P239 might be just what I was looking for, because the reach is inherently short (on the P239) and the DAK is somewhat lighter than a traditional DA.

But... I honestly found the DAK harder to shoot than actual DA.

Mainly, I think, because of overtravel; it was basically impossible to keep the gun steady when the trigger broke (regardless of which reset point I used). It seemed to break earlier in the travel vs. a regular DA. My shots would go high and right. I actually tried making a janky overtravel stop with some JB Weld. It did help. But, not enough to keep me from converting it to DA/SA.

Thanks for heads up, just ordered one from AIM. Ive got a tda P226 in .357sig, never really messed around with the DAK system before, and been wanting a 9mm P226 for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Is there anything precluding these from either being cut for a dot or working with a pro slide so I could run a dot on one, if I purchase?
    The P226 9mm slide is tricky to cut for a dot given the depth of the void on the left side of the slide. There are a couple of companies that will do RMR or similar mounts, but I spent a lot of trying to figure out how to mount a closed emitter optic to a P226 9mm, without a lot of luck. I do have some P229 slides (they have more material inside) at Impact Machine getting milled for direct mounts for 509s and Acros, and once those are back I may follow up with Scott regarding the P226s to see what can be done.

There's no issue with swapping 9mm slides, so getting a factory cut slide will likely be similar in cost if not cheaper than milling.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    the SIG DAK execution of the alternative resets was really a PITA. DAK really needed to be virtually your one-and-only huckleberry to master it. I eventually traded mine; a Glock G19 was lighter, the triggerpull was simpler, etc.
    I am a "flicker" vs. anything close to riding the reset, and typically let the trigger go all the way forward on whatever I am shooting. I don't think I've ever tripped the "false" first click reset on a DAK in live fire, and don't even notice it as the trigger comes forward. For me, transitioning between DAK and DA/SA is no big deal at all, but I can understand how it would be problematic for other shooting styles.

My DAK P220, an ex PD (Have no idea where it was) was my first experience with a DAK trigger and I liked it a lot. I quickly ordered a P226 and P229, both PD trade ins, and unlike the P220, they weren't pleasant to shoot at all. I sold them quickly and replaced them with TDA guns, along with an ex-NYPD DAO gun I converted to TDA. I wish I knew who did the work on the P220's trigger, it's super smooth and is very light compared to the other DAK guns I've owned and shot. I was worried when I first got it that it would have light primer strikes, but it's had zero issues. I did replace the recoil spring since the one in it looked pretty well used. But out of all the Sigs I've shot, I dislike the DAO non-DAK trigger the P226 came with the most.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Checked their website and didn’t see them listed.

How was the general condition of the guns? I’m that odd dude that likes DAK.
    They won’t be on their site as they don’t list used on there due to how fast they move. You have to go in, call in, or Gunbroker

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I only looked at this one. All the rest seemed to be in more or less same condition. All things being equal I was more interested in the German one, so there may have been some with night sights.

Both mags are ban era LEO only and Sig stopped making German frames around 2004ish so this gun probably came just before the AWB expiration

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I ordered one from AIM and finally got the chance to hit the range with mine tonight. Mine is a us frame with standard grips and also does not have night sights, which is kinda surprising to me for a dept the size of Dallas. Mine also looks pretty much same as yours, has the typical sig smiles on the bbl but nowhere near as pronounced as my .40 P226 police trade in that I have. It was bone dry, not a lick of lube/grease on it. When I picked it up just from handling at my ffl buddies place the recoil spring felt super weak. I had already planned on replacing it and had a new factory spring in hand. Comparing the two springs the one in the gun was almost 1.25 inches shorter than the new one. It also did not have any of the orange paint on it as the new one did (though I suppose that could have worn away). Really wonder if it was a spring from maybe a 229 or 239 that had inadvertently gotten installed.

Ran about 250 rounds of various brand/weight . No malfunctions at all. Very pleasant to shoot. And my best groupings of the night were with CCI blazer 115gr aluminum case which kinda surprised me. But it was also my last box of the session so maybe that was just me getting more used to the gun. This was my first real experience with the DAK trigger system. Before I wasn't expecting to like it much and planning to send it in to get swapped to TDA. But now after shooting it I think I am going to keep it as is, till I can get some more rounds through it at least. IMO the weight was not bad and mine was very smooth.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by H8Train View Post
    I ordered one from AIM and finally got the chance to hit the range with mine tonight. Mine is a us frame with standard grips and also does not have night sights, which is kinda surprising to me for a dept the size of Dallas. Mine also looks pretty much same as yours, has the typical sig smiles on the bbl but nowhere near as pronounced as my .40 P226 police trade in that I have. It was bone dry, not a lick of lube/grease on it. When I picked it up just from handling at my ffl buddies place the recoil spring felt super weak. I had already planned on replacing it and had a new factory spring in hand. Comparing the two springs the one in the gun was almost 1.25 inches shorter than the new one. It also did not have any of the orange paint on it as the new one did (though I suppose that could have worn away). Really wonder if it was a spring from maybe a 229 or 239 that had inadvertently gotten installed.

Ran about 250 rounds of various brand/weight . No malfunctions at all. Very pleasant to shoot. And my best groupings of the night were with CCI blazer 115gr aluminum case which kinda surprised me. But it was also my last box of the session so maybe that was just me getting more used to the gun. This was my first real experience with the DAK trigger system. Before I wasn't expecting to like it much and planning to send it in to get swapped to TDA. But now after shooting it I think I am going to keep it as is, till I can get some more rounds through it at least. IMO the weight was not bad and mine was very smooth.
    The color coded paint thing only came about in the mid to late 2000s.

My money is on that gun having never had a recoil spring change. You did well to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The color coded paint thing only came about in the mid to late 2000s.

My money is on that gun having never had a recoil spring change. You did well to replace it.
    From some googling of my guns serial number that seems to be when mine was made so that is a possibility, gonna call Sig monday. Would like to think a large dept would have a halfway decent maint program, but wouldn't be surprised for something to fall through the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by H8Train View Post
    From some googling of my guns serial number that seems to be when mine was made so that is a possibility, gonna call Sig monday. Would like to think a large dept would have a halfway decent maint program, but wouldn't be surprised for something to fall through the cracks.
    Assuming they have any program at all. My city has a few thousand officers. They're responsible for purchase and maintenance. Department has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Assuming they have any program at all. My city has a few thousand officers. They're responsible for purchase and maintenance. Department has nothing to do with it.

Dallas PD does indeed have a program and a staff of armorers.

From what I have been able to glean from some folks I know is that these are guns from the officers that took the "Glock Course" at DPD. The Glock Course is, maybe still is, a thing at DPD in which officer who were issued a SIG, but wanted to move to Glock (Glock was authorized at the time) could take a 3-day transition class. These may be early DAKs, or latter DAKs.

Another thing to remember when buying a PD trade-in firearm is that it isn't so much what or how the guns were sent to the buyer (in this case GT Distributors and AIM). When the buyers take them apart to inspect them quickly, maybe a drop or to of oil or a brush stroke or two of grease, parts can get mixed. There will be some P229R-DAKs at some point, if they havent already been released.

Dallas PD seems to be clearing out a lot of stuff. GT Distributors even has a few old Dallas PD issued Model 64s, various Dash, but most are HBs. Sub-$300, BTW. I wonder if we will see the stash of TDA SIGs that are supposedly still present. I would pay an admission fee to go look through DPD's armory.

User Tag List