Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallas PD Dropping SIG = CHEAP P226R-DAKs Time to Convert to TDA

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Checked their website and didn’t see them listed.

How was the general condition of the guns? I’m that odd dude that likes DAK.
    Mine has no barrel smileys, no frame or slide wear, and next to no holster wear. It also has a SIG "short trigger".

The holster wear on the others I passed on was also pretty minor. The barrel smileys on the others indicated 1,000+ rounds.

Some have the standard grips, but there a few with the E2 grip.

Mine has some minor wear. Very minor. Mostly around the grip and the Bever tail. You can kinda see the little white specs in the picture. No night sights. No PD markings. Will post pics tomorrow

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Weird. Mine has night sights, and so did all the ones I looked at.

I had a P229 DAK, one of the "first issue" ones with the lighter spring (apparently some break-in was required, which irritated enough purcharsers/organizations that SIG issued a heavier spring and the break-in issue went away, albeit at the cost of a heavier trigger pull). Mine was one of the "two for one" deals SIG apparently offered to major distributers/retailers for a brief period, with both a .40 and a .357 SIG barrel. They were probably moving some slow-moving .357 barrel stocks is my guess.

Nice gun,and it shot quite well (with bth barrels) but the SIG DAK execution of the alternative resets was really a PITA. DAK really needed to be virtually your one-and-only huckleberry to master it. I eventually traded mine; a Glock G19 was lighter, the triggerpull was simpler, etc.

My DAO needs are more than adequately filled with my Beretta 92D and HK P30L LEM. Both are far superior executions of DAO; the Beretta features a very revolver-like pull, the HK has a long, light pull.

The DAK guns were very nicely put together, but the concept was fundamentally flawed in my opinion. Aesthetically, if the OEM grips with the decocker slot bothered ou, Hogue made an aftermrket one that was more cleanly made, without the decocker slot, in wood (so it was a bit spendy, at least comparatively).

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-29-2022 at 07:21 AM.

Is there anything precluding these from either being cut for a dot or working with a pro slide so I could run a dot on one, if I purchase?
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Weird. Mine has night sights, and so did all the ones I looked at.
    I only looked at this one. All the rest seemed to be in more or less same condition. All things being equal I was more interested in the German one, so there may have been some with night sights.

Both mags are ban era LEO only and Sig stopped making German frames around 2004ish so this gun probably came just before the AWB expiration

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Mine has no barrel smileys, no frame or slide wear, and next to no holster wear. It also has a SIG "short trigger".

The holster wear on the others I passed on was also pretty minor. The barrel smileys on the others indicated 1,000+ rounds.

Some have the standard grips, but there a few with the E2 grip.
    Can you elaborate on smileys? I'm looking at these... need input.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Can you elaborate on smileys? I'm looking at these... need input.
    Smileys are just a thing on classic SIGs. It's a normal wear pattern in the barrel finish that doesn't indicate anything mechanically wrong. The lack of them probably indicates that the barrel has less than a couple hundred rounds through.

Google "sig barrel smileys" to get a visual.
    David S.

I remember when DAK first came out, people were lined up to shoot the one John Farnam had at the NTI around 2001,2002. It was supposed to be the next big thing.

I really liked the DAK trigger system, which I used like a DAO, by letting the trigger fully return to the farthest-forward position. I bought the first P229R DAK that I could find, in 2004, and it served as my primary duty pistol until 2015. I would have kept using it, until I retired, and then afterward as a carry gun, except that .40 S&W, coupled with that high bore axis, started really aggravating my arthritis*, so I switched to a Gen4 G17, as soon as my chief OK’ed 9mm duty pistols. (I also wanted the Glocks’s lower bore axis.)

Some folks believe in letting the DAK reset to the first position, for the shorter (but notably heavier) pull, but I never stopped using DA revolvers, which, of course, have to be allowed to reset to a quite far forward position.

*To be clear, I am not saying that .40 S&W, or the P229, was the main cause of my right hand’s health issues. I fired too many big-bore Magnum revolver rounds, in the Eighties, gripping those N-Frames with my K/L-sized hands, so, I am not “blaming” any auto-loading pistol. It can take time for our young foolishness to catch up with us.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List