Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wright Armory iDot/P2000SK

Wright Armory iDot/P2000SK

Yesterday picked up my P2000SK, which was getting the Wright Armory iDot optic mount installed. Turnaround was right around 12 weeks. I'm somewhat mixed in my impressions so far, but overall happy with the end result:

My mount only has two screws on the right side of the slide, while the plate has spots for up to 5 (two on each side on the front and rear, one on the right side in the middle). The P30 they showed me when I dropped my gun off had 4 screws: 3 on the right, one on the left. The rear left spot has a hole drilled, and the milling left an open space on the left side of the slide, which exposes the underside of the optic to the slide internals. I don't think this is going to be any sort of a big deal, but I'm going to be careful with solvent when cleaning (particularly since I plan to use E6000 when remounting the plate, more on that below), and would have preferred it if they hadn't drilled out that screw hole. Based on my Raiders of the Lost Ark-esque guess about the weight of the plate, I believe it's aluminum, not steel.

Name:  IMG_1574.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  51.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1577.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  45.6 KB

The slide itself has three recoil bosses: two on either side of the hammer, and one in the middle towards the front. The mounting plate seats firmly in its slot and on these bosses with no play.

Name:  IMG_1589.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  29.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1590.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  38.1 KB

The mounting screws they used are hex screws instead of Torx. The employee readily provided the screw size (5-40) and the torque specifications for mounting the plate (18 in-lbs), but didn't give me the screw length. When I measured them they seem to be an oddball length (best guess is 19/64, as the screw I could measure was .2960 per multiple measurements with my calipers, and 19/64 is .296875; the second screw had some sort of deformity on its bottom that would have prevented an accurate measurement). The screws provided had a black finish, while the screws used in the shop P30 they showed me when I dropped my gun off had a silver finish. I was told that Wright used threadlocker, and the screws/holes have some sort of compound on/in them, although it appears to be light, and more on one screw than the other. There was also some waxy residue on the underside of the plate that needed to be scraped off.

Name:  IMG_1587.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  64.3 KB

I've ordered Torx screws from McMaster-Carr. They only offer 1/4 and 3/8, so I'm hoping that the holes are deep enough to accommodate the 3/8. I'll feel more comfortable using E6000 to secure the plate to the slide,

(Question: how much/where should I apply the E6000? My instinct is just a thin layer applied to the entire area of the slide that contacts the option, but per @Username's comments here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?p=1341356
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    It’s like rubber cement. Don’t go crazy with it. A little goes a long way. You can twist it or wedge and lift it. I often will use a razor blade to get it started. But seriously. Don’t go crazy with it.
    I don't want to go crazy with it. Thoughts?)

using quality screws torqued to spec with a known quantity threadlocker, and then shooting the gun.

Overall I'm very happy with the end product (i.e. a P2000SK with a 509T), and mostly happy with the Wright execution. I'll report back once I get everything mounted and get a chance to put some rounds through it.

Name:  IMG_1582.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  61.4 KB

@Sero Sed Serio

Name:  F34DF708-3799-4489-90CC-A0ABFE9B3F71.jpeg
Views: 1315
Size:  43.4 KB

Put some on a gloved finger and wipe here.

I don't know anything specific about Wright Armory but I can make some assumptions for you;
    Plate has three holes for three fasteners because they are using a common plate for multiple platforms, if the gun has the "meat" they drill and tap the 3rd hole, you know what happens if it doesn't.
    They probably went that deep on the slide cut so you could find a common set of irons that would be useable. Guess the P2000Sk has a deep cut for slide lightening.
    They cut those screws to length with a belt sander or die grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Sero Sed Serio

Name:  F34DF708-3799-4489-90CC-A0ABFE9B3F71.jpeg
Views: 1315
Size:  43.4 KB

Put some on a gloved finger and wipe here.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    I don't know anything specific about Wright Armory but I can make some assumptions for you;
    Plate has three holes for three fasteners because they are using a common plate for multiple platforms, if the gun has the "meat" they drill and tap the 3rd hole, you know what happens if it doesn't.
    They probably went that deep on the slide cut so you could find a common set of irons that would be useable. Guess the P2000Sk has a deep cut for slide lightening.
    Those all sound very reasonable to me

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Actually no. Confirmed by the machining that they’re uncut, just oddball length, and one with some solder or other stuff on it.

Name:  9EF1FBC5-3054-48AE-97D0-876B7B5357FF.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  91.5 KB

Hoping that the holes are deep enough that I can use the 3/8 without modification.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    Actually no. Confirmed by the machining that they’re uncut, just oddball length, and one with some solder or other stuff on it.

Hoping that the holes are deep enough that I can use the 3/8 without modification.
    Dremel fine adjusting screw length is almost mandatory if you get into enough different optics and guns. Don’t be afraid of it. It’s MUCH better than having a screw that’s just a whiff too long.

@Sero Sed Serio any updates?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @Sero Sed Serio any updates?
    I put my first 100 rounds through it, cleaned it, then found a dead optic when I reassembled it. Waiting on batteries to see if that’s the issue, otherwise I’ll be going through Holosun for warranty.

For the brief amount of shooting I did, it was boringly reliable. The optic did highlight my flinch as going from German SIG DA triggers to an HK DA trigger had a bit of a learning curve.

I just picked up an LE trade in USPC9 and want to send it to Wright Armory for the i-Dot to match my L&M RMR compact 9. I've seen mostly glowing reviews about their work-are you still happy with yours? I'm thinking EPS but will probably wait on the final sight decision until the EPS has been in the wild a little bit.

User Tag List