Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on NFA Trust name?

Site Supporter

Thoughts on NFA Trust name?

I’ve pretty much decided to go the NFA trust route to Form 1 couple pistols into SBR‘s.

Anyone here have a good rationale for choosing a trust name?

I’ve read that the idea of having the trust be the primary owner’s name could be useful for a case of having to deal with law enforcement with the weapon in hand, and a copy of the trust not readily available.
    My primary reason for initiating a trust is so that my wife and sons could use and possess the weapons, and so that I can easily pass them on to my sons in decades to come.

With that in mind, for a person named “John J Smith”, would you recommend:

John Smith Trust

Smith Trust

JJS Trust

Smith Family Trust

GyroF-16 Trust

…for the purpose of engraving on the lower as a “maker”, along with my city and state?

I’m leaning towards the “Smith Trust” format, but am open to suggestions from those who may have thought of something that I have not.

ETA:
    I’m also leaning towards using Silencer Shop’s NFA Trust product, as I already have an account there, and with the kiosk at my local range, it would seem the easiest to generate photos and fingerprint cards for the rest of my family.
    That said, I’m impressed with the amount of information and support at nationalguntrusts.com, and the cost is less (currently $60 vs $130 for Silencer Shop). But it would seem less convenient to add family members (photos and fingerprint cards), and have them readily available when adding any other NFA item to the trust.

Input on advantages / disadvantages of these sources are welcome, as well…
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 04-28-2022 at 10:47 AM.

After reading a bunch of stuff I chose the “JJS Trust” format.

And I have to bet there are multiple incidences of the “Let’s Go, Brandon Trust.”
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Ours are "lastname1 lastname2 lastname 3 NFA Trust" so it gets the last name of anybody who might happen to legally possess it on the Form 4 or Form1, but that is just paranoid thinking I guess.

I went with my PF name. 👌
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’m about to do the same thing and have settled on using my initials followed by the word Trust. I’m leaning towards using Silencershop but I’m going to look into the other company you listed in your OP.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m about to do the same thing and have settled on using my initials followed by the word Trust. I’m leaning towards using Silencershop but I’m going to look into the other company you listed in your OP.
    I decided to go with Silencer Shop for ease of adding trustees using the kiosk.
    And did the [Last name] Trust format (since all future trustees share the same last name).

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    And did the [Last name] Trust format (since all future trustees share the same last name).
    I do like dealing with Silencer Shop and have several kiosks within reasonable driving distance.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

When I bought my first NFA item, a factory 6933 SBR, i let the dealer set up a trust for me and ended up with "First Middle Last and wife's First Middle Last Revocable Living Trust" which I didn't like, but hey it was free and I was new.
    Before buying further items, I worked with a trust lawyer to rename it to the "FML* NFA Trust" (*First Middle Last - Initials. Not actually "FML" although that would be funny) as well as him helping clarify the language around responsible persons and beneficiaries (I had another kid in the interim). I figured at some point I'm going to need to engrave the trust name on an SBR or something and I'd rather not exceed the tax stamp cost by having to pay by the letter for the original name. It also keeps something as readily and easily identifiable (at the phonebook/facebook level) to me in particular from being engraved on an item that I could, if very unlikely, sell at some point.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Yeah when I created my trust, 12-15 yrs ago, I wasn't considering SBRs at all. Just needed a method to get around a non-NFA friendly CLEO. The man who created it went full first, middle and last name revocable living trust.

Well, my parents gave me two separate middle names (selective service enrollment was fun-got 2 cards), so altogether my trust name is approaching 50 characters.

Just did my first form 1 SBR. It's a B&T and thankfully has a good bit of free space. Not sure how it would work with a regular AR lower.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Too late to change to "In John We Trust"?

User Tag List