Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norco 80 robbery

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    The book & the podcast come at the event from very different perspectives. I was really glad I listened to the podcast in addition to reading the book.

Reading about & hearing about the experience of the hostage was illuminating. There but for the grace of God

While the event was an early driver for patrol rifles, it is really not at all well known in the cop world.
    Which would you do first - book or podcast? I’ve got this on my shelf just haven’t had a chance to read it yet.

Name:  E0D0360B-42E5-4F1F-9224-F04CC0964321.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  48.0 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Which would you do first - book or podcast? I’ve got this on my shelf just haven’t had a chance to read it yet.
    I would read the book, then listen to podcast. I'd venture that you'll pick up on a rather different view by the podcast host.

There's also a three part documentary about it on YouTube. The second and third parts can be found on this same channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    There's also a three part documentary about it on YouTube. The second and third parts can be found on this same channel.

Love the music....

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I would read the book, then listen to podcast. I'd venture that you'll pick up on a rather different view by the podcast host.
    The host is so biased and pushing on several issues it almost makes the podcast un listenable. But they include a lot of details and primary source interviews so overall I think it is worth it.

Another thread from several years ago:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-shoot-out

Three drawn handguns? Holy cow. I cant help but wonder if they had found a ccw on him how it would have effected the outcome. One of the rules from Sanford Strong in his book Strong on Defense is never let them take you to crime scene two. Fight and prevail or die at crime scene one. Seems like it worked out for this guy however.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When my wife and I were at the range shooting today, a man came over to visit. He was an enthusiastic Glock shooter, and had recently taken second place in some division at a GSF match in Washington state. It turns out that his name was Gary, and he was a hostage in the Norco 80 robbery and shoot out. They car jacked his van, and took him hostage. A police officer shot the driver with a shotgun, with the projectiles passing just inches from his face. That experience caused him to want to develop self-defense shooting skills.

https://www.facebook.com/norco80/pho...193722/?type=3

Norco 80 - "Gary Hakala knew all about tough guys and how a person’s life can change in an instant long before he crossed paths with Manny Delgado." - Norco 80 Hostage Gary Hakala testifying on direct by Assistant D.A. Kevin Ruddy. When Hakala pulled his van into the parking lot of the Brea Mall to fix a broken side mirror he found himself looking down the barrels of 3 handguns. Hakala endured 5 hours bound and imprisoned in a small cabinet in the back of the van while his vehicle was used in the robbery. He survived the shootout and escaped by leaping out the back window of the van onto Hamner Avenue still bound hand and foot. | Facebook
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

If you don't want to give the anti gun author any of your money but still want to read the book, there are several used copies on ebay for half what it costs on Amazon.

I’m listening to the audio book now when cleaning the garage. It’s riveting.

Expect a discussion on an upcoming That Weems Guy Podcast.....
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List