Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Citizen shot while ‘role playing’ during police training

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I read "Training at the Speed of Life" by Ken Murray (inventor of Simmunitions) some years ago. My reaction was that the safety protocols were overly elaborate and largely unnecessary. The more experience I gained attending and providing force-on-force training, the more I realized how right Murray was.
    Indeed. Had I not been trained/certified by Simunitions, I likely wouldn't have realized what the deficiencies actually were.

I do think the magnetometer is one's friend. It provides a fast efficient way to screen officers for most forgotten threats.

I would agree that the screening process is intended to catch the forgetful, not the ill-intended. If you have a case like the arrogant idiot smuggling a cartridge in between his toes, I'd point out to him and others that the screening process is not intended to catch prisoners entering super-max. I'd also ask him what he thought he was proving and to whom. I'd also mention that he was delaying the time officers could break for lunch or secure for the day.
    Particularly since the magnetometers will usually pick up the rebar in the concrete floor.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I am with a unit at an Army National Guard training facility in Texas. We have LE that come train on our Urban Assualt Course and we help them out usually. The last group was a SWAT organization that works in central Texas. I watched the process of issuing out simunition ammo and equipment and they had a good system. I would hate to get shot trying to help out due to poor SOPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    One time at SWAT school we had another agency Officer going through who was a FoF instructor for his agency which was a lot larger than ours. He put a 9mm round between his toes then put his socks and boots on. He dinged us for our simunition search in the class after-action review because it wasn’t found. We kind of shrugged whatever but it shows what some people do.

We had a number of Sims instructors who had been through the week long school. We had to be searched going in initially and any time we left the training area and came back. We used yellow crime scene tape as a marker to show you’d been searched. There were usually two people at the sims station taking care of issuing the guns and ammo. We had dedicated blue Glock 17s and M4s. It was definitely a lot of work to ensure safety.
    That was a chicken shit move on his part. My LE career started in 98. I'm currently sworn but only as an unpaid volunteer (try to get about 12 hours a month in). I so still work (full time) in a field where FOF training is used. The point of the pre drill search is to make sure nobody brain farted NOT to catch a determined smuggler. Supposed you guy DID make everyone take their shoes and socks off...... would he ding you for the one he had in his ass?
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

You know when someone’s done a lot of acting when they put on two pairs of gloves. Sim rounds on knuckles hurt! I had a pair of motocross gloves I’d use when I was an actor.
    When I was a Pina County Prosecutor we could volunteer to be actors for DPS sims training. When I took my turn, my co-workers mocked me all day for being paranoid because I brought a cup. In my first scenario the thought process that ran through my head was “Ow! Ow! Ahhhhhhhh…” as the first three rounds hit my right thigh, left thigh, and nuts respectively. That round bouncing off the cup with no damage or pain bought me so much vindication…

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    When I was a Pina County Prosecutor we could volunteer to be actors for DPS sims training. When I took my turn, my co-workers mocked me all day for being paranoid because I brought a cup. In my first scenario the thought process that ran through my head was “Ow! Ow! Ahhhhhhhh…” as the first three rounds hit my right thigh, left thigh, and nuts respectively. That round bouncing off the cup with no damage or pain bought me so much vindication…
    I had a towel that I would fold over and tuck into my crotch and hang over my pants so I had double towel protection. LOL
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I had a towel that I would fold over and tuck into my crotch and hang over my pants so I had double towel protection. LOL
    The use of the towel/shemagh hanging over the crotch is what I typically see where I roleplay, due to the fact that it has more airflow and is much easier to urinate in, as once a cup is in place and you're all jocked up, it becomes a chore to strip stuff off. I would just run my shemagh folded in half, one half hanging in front of the war belt buckle, the other half hanging behind it.

Good thing you guys didn't do fof with me running the show. Cups, red man external protectors or hockey groin protects were the only choices.

Towels, nope.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Considering that I still have two healing up scars COM (one that’s 2 inches above my belly button, and one awesome hit just to the right of my sternum) from a *month ago, Imma gonna go with a cup. I don’t want a mini-crater and that bruising anywhere on my wedding tackle.

As an aside, @Clusterfrack can certainly shoot under pressure and movement. Proof that competition is useless for self defense...

(Time stamp on this photo is a week after the evo where I took the hit, btw)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Simunition now makes a groin protector which offers decent protection without the issues of cups or towels.

Citizen shot while ‘role playing’ during police training

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Considering that I still have two healing up scars COM (one that’s 2 inches above my belly button, and one awesome hit just to the right of my sternum) from a *month ago, Imma gonna go with a cup. I don’t want a mini-crater and that bruising anywhere on my wedding tackle.

As an aside, @Clusterfrack can certainly shoot under pressure and movement. Proof that competition is useless for self defense...

(Time stamp on this photo is a week after the evo where I took the hit, btw)
    I did get killed in the streets at ECQC several times…

Cup and towel seem like a good idea…

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ve had good experience with airsoft as a FoF training tool. Except for getting shot in the dickhole. That was not a good experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    …My hand was fucked up and my Johnson was on fire…

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List