Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Going To Aesthetic 1911 Hell...

I'm Going To Aesthetic 1911 Hell...

In the grips that I've experimented with over time with my 1911s, the two that really stood out for me were the VCD thumbscoop model and the BH Spring Solutions walnut Master grip. While the VCDs are the obvious best value, I appreciated the grain and finish on the BH Spring Solutions checkered walnut single diamond grips. The VCDs stood out with their increased grippiness and large thumbscoop, the BH SS ones for the subtle but extraordinarily effective vestigal thumb rest on the sides-particularly effective was the one on the right hand grip when shooting support-handed only, as it really stabilizes the gun in hand.

Yeah, you guys know where I'm headed with this...I've mounted the VCD olive drab thumbscoop left grip, and BH Spring Solution's right grip. my thoughts being that this would give me the best of both worlds. The VCD left seems to provide the primary hand-to-receiver grip (with the support hand), and the BH SS grips look decent, and provide an excellent stabalizing vestigal thunbshelf for support hand only shooting.Looks are...interesting (but realistically, most observers and shooters are only going to see one side of the gun at a time.

Seems to be excellent in dryfire practice; I'll get some livefiring scheduled, but the combination seems to be quite effective and comfortable.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    This is why we can't have nice things

Seriously though, good on you for function over aesthetics

It might sound dumb, but after years of looking for a good set of checkered, grippy grips that won't wear out and etc...I think I finally found them, by accident, after ordering a set to sort of fill out an order (because ordering one $10 part seems dorky and there's no way I'm paying $8 in shipping for a $10 part, sooooo...)

I ordered a set of these and now I'm having a hard time not ordering 5 or 6 more sets for everything else in 1911land; I've already ordered a few to outfit the things in Sigland. There's different patterns of course, but the plain old regular checkering seems to work for me the best. Pirahna, etc don't seem to feel as well or grip as well as the plain old checkering.

It's ok. On my bowling pin gun, I had a super thin aluminum panel and studs on the left side and half of a Hogue wrap around the right. If it meets the purpose, rock on.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for the shout out. Or 1/2 of a shout out anyway
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

What is that on the mag release on the right side of the gun?

I've settled on full checkered herretts

Name:  20210204_151006.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  25.7 KB

VZ are a close second. Then pachymer.

Site Supporter
    I just ordered my first set of VZ to try out on my Commander

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    What is that on the mag release on the right side of the gun?
    One of these:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1030339193

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm Going to Aesthetic 1911 Hell...
    VCD grips work well, and I have them installed on a couple guns.

I really like simple Herret's wood stocks -- they work as well as anything including the new-fangled G10 stuff. Plus Delta (hah).

The black rubber Colt grips work great too.

What you have done there is an abomination.

But hey do what you like. Just tell yourself over and over that it will be fine.

Seriously, it's your gun. Do whatever works for you, no matter how distasteful it is.

It's a free country. Weirdo.

User Tag List