Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Guy Sagi writes about HST and Hydra Shok

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I know he said it was 50 degrees out but having your gel blocks setting in the sun while you ramble on can't be helpful. I see that in a lot of videos, like that, and CB is sensitive to temperature despite what he kept saying in the video. Also in his other videos he is practically begging CB to donate their gel to him.
    I did see that.

Looks like his chief complaint is related to a loss of visual clarity in the CBG stuff after just 5 remelt/recast cycles and its expense. It is also interesting to note that he has been recycling the Knox gelatin without much loss in clarity. If one is willing to undertake the proper care in doing so, it is possible to remelt/recast the organic gelatin several times without any degradation of its properties. I believe that the late Dr. Fackler covered the process in detail some years ago and that the literature is still available online if one is interested in obtaining it.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 04-29-2022 at 10:38 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    recycling the Knox gelatin without much loss in clarity.
    I was recycling my blocks into catch blocks back when I was using a 16" mold. It seemed to have worked okay.

I just cut the block into small pieces and melted it over low heat in a big pot. Once liquefied I poured it into the mold and cooled it for a few days.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I just got a quote back for Custom Collagen for more Vyse gel. OUCH!
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I just got a quote back for Custom Collagen for more Vyse gel. OUCH!
    Bad news?

Maybe the Food Lion unflavored gelatin is the way to go after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Bad news?

I'm thinking of buying a couple of pounds of the Knox stuff and do a side by side test.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Bad news?

I'm thinking of buying a couple of pounds of the Knox stuff and do a side by side test.
    Why not?

The Knox unflavored gelatin, being made of partially hydrolyzed collagen just like ordnance gelatin, should do just fine if it shear-validates correctly. By merely meeting that parameter, the Knox unflavored gelatin far surpasses the ability of the clear polymer stuff to correctly represent shear forces in soft tissues. If you really wanted to ''run the ball out'' on the use of it, perhaps an email to Knox (or the manufacturer of another gelatin source) could provide some guidance as to the bloom strength of their product.

As noted earlier in this thread, TNOutdoors9 seems to have achieved correct shear-validation with his use of the Knox unflavored gelatin although I do believe that he had to increase the concentration ever so slightly to get it to behave within specification. Even when using Type 250-A ordnance gelatin, it is common practice to slightly increase concentration if otherwise correctly prepared blocks fail to shear-validate correctly, so adjusting the concentration of the Knox unflavored gelatin is not an unreasonable practice.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Yup--we frequently adjust concentration to get the blocks to validate correctly....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I ordered two pounds of Knox gel from ebay last night.

I have found several websites that list the Knox gel bloom at 225. One of the sights has a conversion formula to adjust the amount of gel you have to achieve the desired bloom.

225 (bloom strength in the recipe) – 125 (bloom strength on hand) ÷ 225 (bloom strength in the recipe) x by 42 (or whatever the amount of gelatin is required in the recipe) = Amount needed to add to the recipe to achieve the right strength.
    So in order to get to 250 bloom it would be. 250-225/250*32= 3.2 ounces. That would be 2.2 pounds on the scale If I'm doing my math right.

I could run by the store and buy a 4 ounce box to bring it up to the required weight.

I ordered two pounds of Knox gel from ebay last night.

I have found several websites that list the Knox gel bloom at 225. One of the sights has a conversion formula to adjust the amount of gel you have to achieve the desired bloom.

So in order to get to 250 bloom it would be. 250-225/250*32= 3.2 ounces. That would be 2.2 pounds on the scale If I'm doing my math right.

I could run by the store and buy a 4 ounce box to bring it up to the required weight.
    Do you have a link to that website that has that conversion formula?

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Do you have a link to that website that has that conversion formula?
    http://www.goodfoodgourmet.com/instr...about-gelatin/

User Tag List