Thread: New bullet day

New bullet day

My most recent order from rimrock landed me 1400 200gr swc and 500 225gr flat points.

My first load was with 231 and velocity was 940 from my 5" loaded and 900 from from my 4" lw champion. Perfect. Poi was poa.

Im pretty happy with them. Now all I need is some more lpp.

Name:  IMG_20220426_145219.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  48.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Rimrock is good stuff. A couple years ago I loaded up 1200 of their 38 DEWCs and I'm currently working on a "hunting" load for my 625 using their 255gr SWC. I'm hoping to avoid buying a mould and casting my own 45cal bullets.

Chris

.45acp 625?
    6gr unique gets me 940fps in my 5" with rimrocks 255gr swc

45colt?
    9gr unique gets iirc 980from my 4 5/8 Blackhawk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    .45acp 625?
    6gr unique gets me 940fps in my 5" with rimrocks 255gr swc

45colt?
    9gr unique gets iirc 980from my 4 5/8 Blackhawk
    ACP. 4" bbl.

I've got test loads read for my next range trip running 5-6.8gr, the steps corresponding with the available cavities in my Lee Disk Measure. Though, if 6gr gets you 940fps, I may not test past the 6gr level (out comes Mr Kinetic Bullet Puller in that case). 900ish is all I really want.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    ACP. 4" bbl.

I've got test loads read for my next range trip running 5-6.8gr, the steps corresponding with the available cavities in my Lee Disk Measure. Though, if 6gr gets you 940fps, I may not test past the 6gr level (out comes Mr Kinetic Bullet Puller in that case). 900ish is all I really want.

Chris
    I'll be interested in your results.

If you're trying to save powder / primers maybe test the 6gr first.

I have ended up sticking with 230 gr for my 1911, I cast with an MP 452374 copy, and have gotten really fond of reversing the round-nose punches in the mould and ending up with a 225-ish gr RFN. I'm holding back on reloading right now because I already have a lot of ammo loaded, but primers still aren't where I want them to be. My "standard" load is a slight overload of HP38 that I got hooked on in the old days with WW231 and a 230 gr.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I'll be interested in your results.

If you're trying to save powder / primers maybe test the 6gr first.
    I was shooting offhand DA at 25yds and I suck (have not been practicing much the last couple years), so group sizes are nothing to get excited about, but I did see one load provide a significantly better result than the others.

My loads were using Unique at 5gr, 5.3gr, 6gr, 6.3gr, and 6.7gr loaded in ACP brass. This corresponds to the cavity sizes in the Lee powder measure I was using.
    Velocities were 760fps, 835fps, 900fps, 930fps, and 970fps. The barrel is 4" long.

Most of the loads gave me about roughly 6" groups, but the 6.7gr load came in at 4". This was a nice shooting load, not punishing at all.
    I had some leading in the barrel, but I don't know if that came from the lighter loads, the heavier ones, or all of them. It wasn't excessive, but I only shot 72 rounds of lead. I'll need to keep an eye on that. Bullet fit to the cylinder throats seems fine, but this gun has etched rifling and I've heard it can be problematic with heavier bullets.

A bit of tweaking and more practice on my part will tighten that result up nicely.

I also tried the same bullet with a max load of Trail Boss. That gave me right at 700fps.

Chris

User Tag List