Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Half of parents still financially support their adult children, study shows

Half of parents still financially support their adult children, study shows

Site Supporter
    18 is a terrible cutoff. Likely just for a sensational headline.
    What's the percentage at 25, 3-4 years post college?
    Of course I'm still supporting my 20yo kid in college.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    18 is a terrible cutoff. Likely just for a sensational headline.
    Agreed - it’s like how some news outlets use “kids” in their early 20s in young shooting death stats.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

That doesn't surprise me, and 18 is an unrealistic cutoff, with regards to higher education timetables. What DOES surprise me is how many kids WANT to be supported by their parents.

When I was 15, all I wanted was to work and have enough money to buy a car and take out girls. Then when I was 18, I just wanted to be on my own, so I could make my own rules, and bring home girls. I was basically out of the house before I graduated HS. My mom paid for my first semester at the University, then I paid the rest. I desperately wanted to graduate in four years, so I could be "free". I just really have a had time understanding some people. I guess it the whole Comfort vs. Freedom thing we see being played out all over the country and world every day

Site Supporter
    I'd wager those "kids" include more journalism majors than trades apprentices.

The parents reap what sow, should have raised them better or simply say NO and cut them off

I think some parents want their children to be dependent. I know kids that are 40-50 years old and mom and dad are still paying their bills. I look at it as its my job to make it so my children don't need me. I moved out at 18 and never turned back. My wife and I have been independent since her first quarter of college. At one point I wanted my kid to stay in our town and go the local university so she could live at home. I want her to learn to be independent and be able to survive without me. I wont live forever.

My son has one more semester finished in Dec. Hes about ten hours drive, when he was in HS I told him he should go away for college. I agree they need to stand on their own but damn I miss him.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    My son has one more semester finished in Dec. Hes about ten hours drive, when he was in HS I told him he should go away for college. I agree they need to stand on their own but damn I miss him.
    My oldest will leave in August and will be 3 hours away. I am going to be a mess. Thankful 3 is a lot closer than 10. I am hoping she comes home often as we need to see her but her little brother thinks she hung the moon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    My oldest will leave in August and will be 3 hours away. I am going to be a mess. Thankful 3 is a lot closer than 10. I am hoping she comes home often as we need to see her but her little brother thinks she hung the moon.
    If I had a vote, I'd say 4 or 5 hours is a better distance. We have friends with kids in Oklahoma schools and the closer one is home more than "fostering independence" would recommend. In Texas, a 3 hour drive barely gets you to the next big city.

My kids are opposites in a lot of ways.... Older one couldn't get out fast enough. Got her learners license on her 15th birthday and her DL on the first business day after her 16th. Went to school on the East coast.... 21 hours drive away. She learned to miss us, begrudgingly.

Youngest didn't bother with his DL until his GF chided him into it at 18... He's in no rush for any additional independence.... but... he's now 14 hours drive West of here at school. Wife feels better about 14 hours than 21, since you can drive it in a long day. LOL.

Wife and I were both like our daughter... Couldn't get out of the parents house soon enough.
    We had some suspicion for a while that our son was swapped at birth, but, we'll keep him.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List