Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Seattle decline post courtesy of Bari Weiss and crew

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Seattle is an attractive lifestyle for younger people. I can't tell you exactly why that is but I know some Millennials that live there and love it. I also know some who don't live there but visit often and would live there if housing weren't so expensive. It's strange that they don't like the suburbs and cities around Seattle, just Seattle.

Personally, I stay away. Most of the people my age moved out a long time ago. I've seen an influx of people moving to my location who lived in Seattle but left when they retired.
    It is attractive to the following types of people:
    -those uninterested in children but want pets (arguably friendliest major city for pets in the nation)
    -those who love the nightlife, though it's really overrated
    -weekend warriors

Buying a house even with a great job in the Seattle area is nearly impossible without generational wealth- small townhouses largely unsuitable for families go for 7 figures now. People are paying 6 figures over asking price and/or cash for homes.

My son-in-law is from Seattle. Born there and lived most of his first 22 years there (went to college at WSU). He loved living there, and his parents stil llive there. He now refuses to go back for even a short visit, and absulutely will not take my grandson there. And he grew up fairly liberal in his outlook (he had never shot a gun until he started dating my daughter - who was smart enough to take him to the range early on to see if he could hang. My daughter is so cool! ) and still looks at what the city has become and is revolted.

We were just talking about it two weekends ago over dinner and it is fascinating to see how he now looks at things like defunding the police. I will make a true Arizonan out of him yet.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    My son-in-law is from Seattle. Born there and lived most of his first 22 years there (went to college at WSU). He loved living there, and his parents stil llive there. He now refuses to go back for even a short visit, and absulutely will not take my grandson there. And he grew up fairly liberal in his outlook (he had never shot a gun until he started dating my daughter - who was smart enough to take him to the range early on to see if he could hang. My daughter is so cool! ) and still looks at what the city has become and is revolted.

We were just talking about it two weekends ago over dinner and it is fascinating to see how he now looks at things like defunding the police. I will make a true Arizonan out of him yet.

"Wait...what?"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Damn straight

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"Wait...what?"
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Seattle is an attractive lifestyle for younger people. I can't tell you exactly why that is but I know some Millennials that live there and love it. I also know some who don't live there but visit often and would live there if housing weren't so expensive. It's strange that they don't like the suburbs and cities around Seattle, just Seattle.
    A big part of it is ease of access to Puget Sound plus the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges. Year round, you can launch a kayak into saltwater from any number of places in Seattle, or you can paddle through spectacular islands if you're willing to drive a couple of hours or get on a ferry. In the summer you can hike or ride world-class mountain bike trails an hour or so from downtown and in the winter you can ski alpine or Nordic (on admittedly sub-par snow) on the same mountain.

Great seafood comes right out of the water not far from town. There are small organic farms all over so there's plenty of good produce if that's your thing. Wine country stretches for miles just over Snoqualmie Pass. So does great ranch land so the beef and lamb are also good. There are also tons of local breweries if you prefer beer.

Those things appeal to naive young people who earn a good living and who don't have kids. Unfortunately, those people also tend to vote left and the Seattle city government has preyed on their good intentions to move this place closer to being a Worker's Paradise.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

To be honest with y'all, the redeeming qualities of the Pacific Northwest are, for me, proximity to P-F members and a pretty landscape to look at. I like my garage and my neighbors, too.

I'm not sure I'll ever "get" Seattle. It's a city that is filthy, crime ridden, and lacks redeeming features like excellent architecture, food, culture, or history. And while San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, and NYC all suck in similar ways, each has one (or more) of those redeeming qualities. Making them at least interesting places to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    To be honest with y'all, the redeeming qualities of the Pacific Northwest are, for me, proximity to P-F members and a pretty landscape to look at. I like my garage and my neighbors, too.

I'm not sure I'll ever "get" Seattle. It's a city that is filthy, crime ridden, and lacks redeeming features like excellent architecture, food, culture, or history. And while San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, and NYC all suck in similar ways, each has one (or more) of those redeeming qualities. Making them at least interesting places to visit.
    This is sadly true. The food is the only arguable point on this list but it is largely overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    A big part of it is ease of access to Puget Sound plus the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges. Year round, you can launch a kayak into saltwater from any number of places in Seattle, or you can paddle through spectacular islands if you're willing to drive a couple of hours or get on a ferry. In the summer you can hike or ride world-class mountain bike trails an hour or so from downtown and in the winter you can ski alpine or Nordic (on admittedly sub-par snow) on the same mountain.

Great seafood comes right out of the water not far from town. There are small organic farms all over so there's plenty of good produce if that's your thing. Wine country stretches for miles just over Snoqualmie Pass. So does great ranch land so the beef and lamb are also good. There are also tons of local breweries if you prefer beer.

Those things appeal to naive young people who earn a good living and who don't have kids. Unfortunately, those people also tend to vote left and the Seattle city government has preyed on their good intentions to move this place closer to being a Worker's Paradise.

Okie John
    Seattle has a few nude parks and beaches also. People don't seem to get too upset about the nudity when the temps crack 90°. I remember being stuck in traffic one summer on the 520 bridge going through the UW arboretum. Absolutely shocking behavior. I know some other places but I'm not at liberty to disclose those.

As TGS would say. "Christ on a cracker".
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-27-2022 at 06:37 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"Wait...what?"
    The original Arizona citizen. Though not officially registered as an AZ voter (native Americans didn't get to vote until 1870), Geronimo voted with his rifle. He became a POW until his death. A true American patriot.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Dude had his own action figure before it was cool.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List