Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 Mag Hunting Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The Winchester 145 STHP works well on Texas whitetails and Texas a$$holes. It's been around a long time but I haven't seen anything to really surpass it.
    The bullet and loaded ammo has been unobtanium for a while. I used 9mm HSTs to replicate it. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot deer with it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The bullet and loaded ammo has been unobtanium for a while. I used 9mm HSTs to replicate it. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot deer with it.
    I've killed one deer with the 124 HST +P and it was a dead in tracks affair (front quartering heart/lung shot at about 15 yards).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've killed one deer with the 124 HST +P and it was a dead in tracks affair (front quartering heart/lung shot at about 15 yards).
    I used 9mm gold dots on a few with good results untill a 200lbs bucks shoulder stopped one. Hopefully I have better luck next deer season I'd love to see what the 147gr hst at 1275fps does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I’ve searched around but haven’t had much luck finding recent information.

What are the recommended rounds/bullets for hunting with a 4” 357?

I was turkey hunting with a buddy who recently caught a pig on camera so I added a 686 to my gear list for any shots of opportunity that may present themselves. I had some old PMC 158gr JSP in the closet so I loaded up with it.

What’s out there that might be better than this PMC? I’d prefer factory loaded since I’ll only need a couple boxes at most but I could reload if nothing is out there.
    @Lost River might have some insight into your problem.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I don't know what is available on the loaded ammo side, but as far as projectiles go, I would recommend a 170 grain wide nose Keith SWC.

I just did a small batch (what I had left of components ) for someone and they were cooking along at 1350 from a 6.5" Ruger Security 6.

They definitely would do a serious number on a pig with that wide meplat, and in such a similar velocity range.

They shot far better than I was expecting too. I shot a group at 50 which I was happy with. It is the low left group. Then another at 75. Obviously you can tell by where the POA was the red dot was not even close to zeroed for the heavier bullets, but anyways, at 75 yards the group was not really any larger than the closer range groups.

The upper right group is the 75 yard group.

The short version is that I would recommend a heavy hard cast bullet for your pig problem.

Try contacting Buffalo Bore. They appear to have a good selection of 357 mag ammo for piggies and bambis. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=20
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I was turkey hunting with a buddy who recently caught a pig on camera so I added a 686 to my gear list for any shots of opportunity that may present themselves. I had some old PMC 158gr JSP in the closet so I loaded up with it.

What’s out there that might be better than this PMC? I’d prefer factory loaded since I’ll only need a couple boxes at most but I could reload if nothing is out there.
    This: https://www.underwoodammo.com/357-ma...gas-check.html

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Ahh, the old Federal Premium "Castcore" load. It was great for hunting animals tougher than deer. The 180-grain .357 with the larger meplat was a good round. Unfortunately the "was" denotes the fact that it is long out of production.

I would reload .357 hunting ammo, especially as so few rounds are needed. Heavy cast bullets with wide meplats to penetrate and break bones are good for pigs. Larger pigs are why I went to the .454 Casull back in the middle 1990s. That choice was overkill for the pigs and my wrists -- especially my wrists. A hard bullet with high sectional density at moderate velocity will do the trick.
    I had revolvers in .357, .41 mag and .44 magnum zeroed for Federal Cast Core. Still have a supply.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For me, .357 hunting load would be one of these choices for a bullet:

1. 158 gr Hornady XTP

2. A "heavy for caliber" 170 to 180 gr hardcast bullet with a large meplat

3. Barnes 140 gr XTB

All of these can be found as loaded ammunition, but of course availability may be spotty these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    For me, .357 hunting load would be one of these choices for a bullet:

1. 158 gr Hornady XTP

2. A "heavy for caliber" 170 to 180 gr hardcast bullet with a large meplat

3. Barnes 140 gr XTB

All of these can be found as loaded ammunition, but of course availability may be spotty these days.
    The Barnes is my go to. It can be gotten from Barnes directly if you keep an eye on their website.

Otherwise, Buffalo Bore loads the same bullet a bit hotter as well. It's not cheap at $50/20 rounds, but I've had great luck with Buffalo Bore ammo overall. And I like Barnes bullets a ton.

User Tag List