Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini talk

When I got into Mini 14 / .223, circa 1977, I was able to pick through a crate of 10 and pick 2. I had 17 Ruger made 20 rd mags.

I paid $147.50 each which was about dealer cost. I later got into flash hiders, Choate folding stocks etc..

The first CAR 15 colt I bought was $300 +.

Guys I knew who were running Mini 14s hard went to CAR 15s as did I.

I had few problems with my 2 examples. If you like a Garand type action they are OK for light use.

As an minor comment on open top Garand type actions vs closed top actions AR, FAL, HK91 etc....

In the rain the open top actions throw a lot more water directly in your face.

I owned a Mini 30 back in the late 80's early 90's.
    It never sputtered, and was accurate enough for deer with a scope. Took two in NYS.
    Sold it out of boredom. The mags were scarce and expensive at the time.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I would love to have a new mini-14 tactical. I just enjoy shooting conventional stocked rifles/shotguns. But they are not cheap and would mostly be a rifle that I shoot to shoot. Though the wife is damn good with a 10/22 [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, good stuff so far!

A Mini-30 would happen before the 14 because my 7.62x39 stash is 10-15 times greater than my .223 stash.

Nope, no expectations here of using it as a battle rifle, a precision rifle or replacing my ARs. At least not willingly. The goal is simple F-U-N.

Mags would be factory unless Mecgar makes replacements. Promags fall under NFE unless I can turn one into a single loading device and it’s stupid cheap. It seems most comments addressed the factory 20 rounders, are the factory 5 and 10 round mags GTG as well?

All in all, I can see getting one but probably not soon. Going over my list of wants it comes in fourth overall and third in long gun specific wants.

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks everyone, good stuff so far!

A Mini-30 would happen before the 14 because my 7.62x39 stash is 10-15 times greater than my .223 stash.

Nope, no expectations here of using it as a battle rifle, a precision rifle or replacing my ARs. At least not willingly. The goal is simple F-U-N.

Mags would be factory unless Mecgar makes replacements. Promags fall under NFE unless I can turn one into a single loading device and it’s stupid cheap. It seems most comments addressed the factory 20 rounders, are the factory 5 and 10 round mags GTG as well?

All in all, I can see getting one but probably not soon. Going over my list of wants it comes in fourth overall and third in long gun specific wants.

Thanks!
    Had 5's, 10's, and 30's.

All ran without issue.
    5's were ideal for hunting, if you chose to.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Had 5's, 10's, and 30's.

All ran without issue.
    5's were ideal for hunting, if you chose to.
    Thanks!

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I have very fond memories of a registered AC-556K that was owned by a family friend. As valuable as that is, he sold it off to support his retirement some time ago. Now that Samson makes the classic folding stock again, I had a silly idea of SBRing a cheap old beater Mini-14 to duplicate the experience in semi auto at least. But that's far, far down the list of possible gun projects right now.

Interestingly, the 13in barrel on the AC-556K had no apparent issues with stringing or wild fliers. I could consistently hit soda cans and similar plinking targets at 50 and even 100 yards in semiauto so long as I did my part. It absolutely loved 55gr ammo, and we got that barrel VERY hot a few times, too. No stringing in semi auto was noted, and we tried because my Dad had (and happily sold) a Mini-14 that was wildly inaccurate with lots of fliers and stringing as well.

Magazines we used were a mix of 'USA' brand 30 rounders and a handful of factory Ruger 20's and 30's. IIRC he had 6-7 of those USA 30 rounders and two of them ran 100% and another 2 of them ran about 95% of the time, the other 3 were total duds. The factory Ruger mags were usually left in the case because a lot of this shooting happened in the mid-late 90's when factory Ruger 20-30 round mags were priceless due to the AWB.

Given the wild rioting and other crazy situations observed over the past few years, I can't help but wonder if the 'less offensive' appearance of a conventional Mini in a wood stock might be an distinct advantage in certain circumstances. Circumstances I'm sure we'd all rather avoid, to be sure, but it's an interesting consideration given the legal landscape these days.

My LTT RDO cut 92C is starting to sweat and thinking “Dammit, he’s got that look in his eye again!”😳🤣

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    My LTT RDO cut 92C is starting to sweat and thinking “Dammit, he’s got that look in his eye again!”😳🤣

No man, don't do it! 🙉

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    No man, don't do it! 🙉
    Name:  2F3B3D7C-FAD5-4308-A020-73E689F8E518.jpeg
Views: 486
Size:  18.9 KB

[patented PF thread drift]I just find the full size 92/96 easier to shoot well than the compact. Someday™️ I’ll get an extra slide assembly, send it off to LTT for the cut and slap it on my Elite II 96G. [/patented PF thread drift]

User Tag List