Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini talk

Ruger Mini talk

I've been curious about the Ruger Mini series since the early 90s but I've always avoided them because of their reputation. At this point in my long gun journey, I'm looking at "wants" and one of my wants is a 7.62x39 carbine that doesn't start with AK, CZ or SKS.

I've already narrowed down the bolt action choice to either a Howa 1500 or Ruger American which uses Mini magazines. That brought the Mini series back to mind and I remembered hearing about changes and improvements over the years but I don't really know what or if anything has actually been improved.

My use case and expectations are pretty simple. No TEOTWAWKI fantasies, no carbine classes, no expectations of it being a precision or DM rifle, just fun at the range. I might mount a LPVO or dot just because my eyes need all the help they can get.

So here's my questions so far:

Is accuracy still minute of pie plate (Mini-14 and Mini-30) or has it improved? More importantly, is the accuracy level (good or bad) consistent? I can do inconsistent accuracy all on my own, I don't need the rifle to help.

Are Mini-14 mags still proprietary or do newer ones use AR mags? If proprietary, are they at least reliable (factory or quality aftermarket)?

Are Mini-30 mags reliable? (factory or quality aftermarket)

That's all I can think of at the moment, thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I have a huge soft spot for the Mini14 having never missed an episode of the A-Team and naming my first born Hannibal.

I’ve owned a few Minis through the years of different vintages with experience with some of the newer rifles.

So to answer you questions -

Accuracy - my 580 and other newer series minis are honest 2-4MOA rifles with budget FMJ ammunition. I recently had my early 580 (with the old pencil profile barrel) sent to get it’s barrel shortened to 16.5 inches and threaded. Supposedly this can help reduce stringing in the thin barrels. It certainly hasn’t hurt accuracy and it seems to be more consistent now getting consistent 3 moa groups. I spent some time with it pre shortening trying to wring out as much accuracy as I could and could get fairly consistent 2 inch 5 shot groups with match grade ammo. The newer tapered profile barrels seem to be in that 2-3 MOA range without any fuss.

Magazines - Mini14 mags are still a proprietary design and the basic rule of thumb is stick to RUGER only magazines. I have had luck with Promag 20s (old pre 2000 ones) but their 30s and ironically 10s are jam inducers. The good news is that Ruger mags are widely available now.

The Mini14 is a good gun and a fun gun. The key to happy Mini ownership is realistic expectations. It will never be a tack driver and it is NOT superior to the AR. It also has the advantage of generally looking less intimidating for those wanting to keep a low profile and has for the most part avoided Assault Weapon Bans.

If the goblins were jogging it wouldn’t be the first gun I’d grab, but someone with a Mini is far from defenseless.

Cool thing to add for the complete 1980s look is the folding stock from Samson. Originally only available in stainless steel; they are now offering a black version.

https://www.samson-mfg.com/a-tm-fold...i-14-copy.html

I wish someone would make a repro gas block with the sling swivel on the left side to complete the clone look. Maybe someone is making one? I'm not aware if so.

Anyway, Minis are fun little guns. Not super easy to scope or mount a flashlight on. But for a design that's based on 1930s tech I don't think that's too big a deal.

Edit to comment on Mini-30 mags. The factory ones cap out at 20. It has been my experience that they are reliable. Thermold makes a 26 rounder that's supposed to be decent. Being all plastic these are probably best for range only.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Buy a 580-series, newest version.
    20rd OEM mags only.
    Run wetter than you think it needs and relube proactively.
    .223 SAAMI spec from a known-good source.
    Accuracy is better and more consistent in the newer.
    Fewer Ruger armorers in the field than ever, guns usually have to go home for repair.

Ran Minis for awhile, learned a lot. They are fine to keep around for fun. Some of their attraction was the lower price point than ARs, making them a little easier to acquire and less shucks if lost/stolen/evidenced. The gap is mostly closed now.

Older Minis can be made better. There's a thread here somewhere on that.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Cool thing to add for the complete 1980s look is the folding stock from Samson. Originally only available in stainless steel; they are now offering a black version.

https://www.samson-mfg.com/a-tm-fold...i-14-copy.html
    I grabbed one last year in anticipation for my move out of Kalifornia. Nothing says 1980s TV serial rifle like a stainless mini in a Ruger folding stock!

One more thought on accuracy is this. While my ARs have always shot circles around my Minis from the bench and prone slow fire - in terms of “practical accuracy “ out to 100 yards (which admittedly is where 90% of my shooting is limited due to range constraints - I have never found the Mini to harder to hit with. While I will be decried as a heretic - I think most accuracy complaints on the newer rifles are largely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I have a huge soft spot for the Mini14 having never missed an episode of the A-Team and naming my first born Hannibal.

I’ve owned a few Minis through the years of different vintages with experience with some of the newer rifles.

So to answer you questions -

Accuracy - my 580 and other newer series minis are honest 2-4MOA rifles with budget FMJ ammunition. I recently had my early 580 (with the old pencil profile barrel) sent to get it’s barrel shortened to 16.5 inches and threaded. Supposedly this can help reduce stringing in the thin barrels. It certainly hasn’t hurt accuracy and it seems to be more consistent now getting consistent 3 moa groups. I spent some time with it pre shortening trying to wring out as much accuracy as I could and could get fairly consistent 2 inch 5 shot groups with match grade ammo. The newer tapered profile barrels seem to be in that 2-3 MOA range without any fuss.

Magazines - Mini14 mags are still a proprietary design and the basic rule of thumb is stick to RUGER only magazines. I have had luck with Promag 20s (old pre 2000 ones) but their 30s and ironically 10s are jam inducers. The good news is that Ruger mags are widely available now.

The Mini14 is a good gun and a fun gun. The key to happy Mini ownership is realistic expectations. It will never be a tack driver and it is NOT superior to the AR. It also has the advantage of generally looking less intimidating for those wanting to keep a low profile and has for the most part avoided Assault Weapon Bans.

If the goblins were jogging it wouldn’t be the first gun I’d grab, but someone with a Mini is far from defenseless.
    The only things I can add to that is they need a $70 trigger job and the gas bushing needs to be replaced right away. They'll throw brass 30' if you don't. That's about $30 and you can do that yourself. If you know anything about triggers (I don't) you can do it yourself or send it out to someone who does those. I have a Mini-14, don't know anything about the 30. My 14 is reliable like a hammer and about 2 MOA. I load my own ammo but I don't think that matters as it isn't a precision rifle. One last thing. The rifle has a very weird mag locking mechanism that takes some getting used to. It used to bother me but after a few hundred rounds I figured out how to run it smoothly.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I have owned a couple of Minis, but no longer have one. In fact, nobody in my circle still uses a Mini-14 to do anything but gather dust... but Mini Thirties are another story, and I get to tote one around now and then. Here are my observations:

The current Minis are - in general terms - the best Minis.

Use Ruger mags. I used to stray and got away with cheap Mini-14 magazines, but I don't recommend doing so nowadays. Spend the money and avoid embarrassment.

The short-barreled Mini Thirties are a hoot to plink with, but are also are handy, rugged utility carbines firing an old but pretty capable round.

With the low-cap magazines, they are about as slick a semiauto to get in and out of a scabbard or case as one could ask for.

Mounting optics on a Mini is no longer the tormenting rectal itch it was back in A-Team days.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The only things I can add to that is they need a $70 trigger job and the gas bushing needs to be replaced right away. They'll throw brass 30' if you don't. That's about $30 and you can do that yourself. If you know anything about triggers (I don't) you can do it yourself or send it out to someone who does those. I have a Mini-14, don't know anything about the 30. My 14 is reliable like a hammer and about 2 MOA. I load my own ammo but I don't think that matters as it isn't a precision rifle. One last thing. The rifle has a very weird mag locking mechanism that takes some getting used to. It used to bother me but after a few hundred rounds I figured out how to run it smoothly.
    I have often heard mention that the mini14 needs a trigger job. My experience had been that every mini I have ever shot has a more than acceptable trigger and on average better than stock AR triggers. Maybe it is my luck of the draw or simply I am more tolerant of creepy triggers but YMMV.

Agreed on the gas bushing. The other advantage of swapping out the gas bushing is that you can re-torque the gas block which is something many consider essential to getting the best accuracy out of your mini as you can.

I bought a Mini 14 back in the 70's when I was young enough to need my dad to sign for it. I traded a Model 70 in .222 for it and regret that loss more than any since. But the Ruger was accurate and dependable and i was happy enough with it. In college, I sold it to a fellow for good money and he was happy with it, too. In the late 90's I landed in Ohio and bought another Mini instead of an AR platform. This time around, the relationship did not bloom. I could throw rocks more accurately than that Ruger would shoot. In fact, it shot so badly I refused to sell it. A friend had a farm with varmint problems and I gave him the damn thing and 100 rounds of ammo. Told him he'd never hit a coyote but it would take them a long time to figure that out. He probably still has most of that ammo. I soured a bit on Ruger when they threw their hand up and volunteered to limit mag capacity. I like ARs so stick with them any more.
    Last edited by Oldherkpilot; 04-24-2022 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Screwed it up

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I have often heard mention that the mini14 needs a trigger job. My experience had been that every mini I have ever shot has a more than acceptable trigger and on average better than stock AR triggers. Maybe it is my luck of the draw or simply I am more tolerant of creepy triggers but YMMV.

Agreed on the gas bushing. The other advantage of swapping out the gas bushing is that you can re-torque the gas block which is something many consider essential to getting the best accuracy out of your mini as you can.

Re-torquing the gas block and adding an Accu-strut(or similar) was the recommendation back when I was looking into getting a Mini.
    IIRC it didnt really make it more accurate, just cut down on the groups opening up unpredictably as the barrel got hot, something the Mini seems to suffer from more than most rifles.

https://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php#

There is this company I found which offers upgrades and services, but I can't vouch for them.

User Tag List