Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini talk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Attachment 87922

[patented PF thread drift]I just find the full size 92/96 easier to shoot well than the compact. Someday™️ I’ll get an extra slide assembly, send it off to LTT for the cut and slap it on my Elite II 96G. [/patented PF thread drift]
    Just get a centurion. Compact slide fits on the centurion frame. Do a slide swap and sell off the unwanted frame and slide.

Selling an LTT Beretta for a Ruger mini would be sacrilege.

Had a mini 14 purchased new in 1984. My dad bought it with my money in lieu of the AR15 I actually wanted. At the time the mini was $250 and a Colt SP-1 was $400 or $450.

It was AK accurate at best. 4-6 MOA with irons or when the B-square mount round would hold zero. It ran with factory mags..with aftermarket’s not so much. Sent it down the road and don’t miss it.

About 10 years ago, in a fit of nostalgia I picked up one of the new 580 series Mini 14s.

It’s much better than the old one, optics capable and the shorter thicker barrel is a consistent 2 MOA. That said, it’s an “OK” ranch style rifle not a true fighting rifle.

I’ll echo the recommendation to stick with 20 round factory mags in .223.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Just get a centurion. Compact slide fits on the centurion frame. Do a slide swap and sell off the unwanted frame and slide.

Selling an LTT Beretta for a Ruger mini would be sacrilege.
    I’m one of the biggest drum beaters for the Mini here and even I would have to agree, don’t sell that LTT (unless I lived in a free state and the OP could sell it to me.)

I was a self-taught shooter in the beginning. The first rifle off any kind I owned was a Mini-14 which I bought myself. Reasons: 1) A-Team; 2) Cost; 3) I saw a San Bernardino Co Sheriff's deputy have one once; 4) A-Team.

It was a good gun to learn from. It was simple, light and really non-intimidating. It was nice it had its own rings. It was okay. Then I shot a friend's Colt AR. I sold the Mini as soon as could forge funds to upgrade to the Colt.

I would buy one today (if the price is right) just for nostalgia alone.

The 92C thought is mostly in jest. Mostly. I actually had it listed not long ago in an effort to fund another 4” .357 but had no bites.

I’ve already Lego’d a centurion when I was messing around at the range and ran the slide on the EII and 92X just to see if I could. I’m not opposed to pulling the slide and selling just the frame but the funds would be funding the things higher on the list than a Mini-30.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I have very fond memories of a registered AC-556K that was owned by a family friend. As valuable as that is, he sold it off to support his retirement some time ago. Now that Samson makes the classic folding stock again, I had a silly idea of SBRing a cheap old beater Mini-14 to duplicate the experience in semi auto at least. But that's far, far down the list of possible gun projects right now.
    It's like you're reading my mind. In the mags I'm stocking up on for guns I don't even own yet ahead of the July 1 mag ban in Washington category is factory 20 round Mini 14 mags.

One bash of the Mini 30; they often can’t ignite Russian steel case ammo. Not sure how much longer that will matter. Fortunately, I found that out before buying one. Frankly, the other gripe is that new Minis are just too expensive for what they are. I might be tempted by a 14, but only at $500-600, not double that.
    Last edited by dlrflyer; 05-11-2022 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    I might be tempted by a 14, but only at $500-600, not double that.
    Seems like more and more things fall into that quandary, I want them, but in my mind what I think is a cool $500 item is actually a $900 item I am probably never going to get. Like another Mini 14, or a lever gun.

When I sold mine to my cousin I kept some of the elusive 30 round magazines, now if I ever get one I would want twenties anyway, there was always something just right about a svelte Mini with a compact twenty hanging out of it. But I wanted an AR when I didn't have enough money to keep all of the cool things, I wish I could have all of the cars and guns and motorcycles I had to trade to upgrade.

Did they ever make a Mini 30 in 300BO? Shit, wait....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Seems like more and more things fall into that quandary, I want them, but in my mind what I think is a cool $500 item is actually a $900 item I am probably never going to get. Like another Mini 14, or a lever gun.

When I sold mine to my cousin I kept some of the elusive 30 round magazines, now if I ever get one I would want twenties anyway, there was always something just right about a svelte Mini with a compact twenty hanging out of it. But I wanted an AR when I didn't have enough money to keep all of the cool things, I wish I could have all of the cars and guns and motorcycles I had to trade to upgrade.

They did make a mini in .300 BO

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

I keep reading there’s someone converting them to 6.5 Grendel and that’s not helping me to put the Mini idea aside since I’m on a Grendel obsession at the moment.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by dlrflyer View Post
    One bash of the Mini 30; they often can’t ignite Russian steel case ammo. Not sure how much longer that will matter. Fortunately, I found that out before buying one. Frankly, the other gripe is that new Minis are just too expensive for what they are. I might be tempted by a 14, but only at $500-600, not double that.
    We ran a few for patrol rifles in the late 90s. They definitely ran better with American made ammo.

User Tag List