Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini talk

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thanks. I really am not surprised, there is a lot to be said for the 762x39.
    In the past six months, two of the "Mini Thirty guys" I know have bought .350 Legend uppers... it will be interesting for me to see how this shakes out.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    A-Team is why I shied away from Minis for many years. Traded into a Mini-30 Ranch I liked, but shortly after jumped on an offer to trade for an M1 Carbine.
    I have both. The Mini is very much like an M-1 carbine. Been through both to replace parts so have some idea how they work. They both have the same basic design as the M-1 Garand and M-14 which is a gas piston/op rod that operates the bolt. If I'm not mistaken it's very much like an AK-47 also.

I'll take my Mini-14 for self defense. It's more reliable and I like the .223 cartridge better. Otherwise the M-1 carbine is lighter and has way more appeal for those interested in military history.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I think the real takeaway is gun writers have been stirring the same pots and writing the same articles for 40+ years.
    Longer.

My only experience with an M1 Carbine was a mid-60s commercial POS that my Grandfather kept loaded by his chair for years. Fortunately he never had to use it because I don't think it ever fired more than 3 rounds in a row regardless of the magazine used. It's the only one of his guns I inherited that I've gotten rid of and I couldn't get rid of fast enough. I would have traded it for a Mini-30 in a heartbeat!
    Back in the day, it was well known commercial made M1 Carbines were problematic, particularly Universal. I'm not surprised your grandfather's carbine was such a disappointment.

The carbine I traded for back in 2001 was GI. I put a few rounds through the Mini30, a couple of hundred I think and it never malfunctioned. It was accurate enough to be entertaining although I never had high expectations, shooting steel cased whatever.

The M1 was fun to shoot, but ammo has gotten crazy expensive, especially compared to the cheap surplus ammo we used to get in the 70s 80s and 90s. I'd still have that carbine, but it made a fine Christmas present for my son. The M1 Carbine I have now was my Uncle's.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    We ran a few for patrol rifles in the late 90s. They definitely ran better with American made ammo.
    Actual American made ammo or just brass cased ammo? I didn’t think American made 7.62x39 started showing up until the early to mid-00s but brass case Yugo x39 was available before that.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thanks. I really am not surprised, there is a lot to be said for the 762x39.
    Especially when I’ve already got 2-3 cases of it. If this Mini and I get along a 30 will move up the list.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    In the past six months, two of the "Mini Thirty guys" I know have bought .350 Legend uppers... it will be interesting for me to see how this shakes out.
    I’m intrigued by the Legend but can’t quite justify the cost of admission when all I hunt is paper and steel. Doesn’t mean I won’t end up there eventually.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Actual American made ammo or just brass cased ammo? I didn’t think American made 7.62x39 started showing up until the early to mid-00s but brass case Yugo x39 was available before that.
    We used a Black Hills soft point load and a 125 grain JHP from Cor-bon as duty loads and I believe a lot of Winchester USA training ammo. Sometimes we had foreign made training ammo depending upon availability. Sometimes the guns would not set off the primers-I don’t remember the US made ammo having that issue.

Thanks, I didn’t realize US made x39 was that widely available in the 90s/early-00s.

I had Federal 7.62x39 ammo in the early 90s.
    125 grain, soft points
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I've run a few thousand rounds through my Mini-14 without any hiccups. No failure to feed or eject so far and all the ammo was hand loaded using various brands of range brass. They just aren't particular about ammo. In the beginning I experimented with different loads and certain brass to see if I could get some tighter groups. I soon gave up as it didn't seem to matter. 2-3 MOA was all I could ever wring out of it. I did however torque the gas block screws to 25 lbs and it shoots 1-2 MOA now. What more does one need a carbine to do? I think it's a lot better than an AK-47 from what I've seen but I've never owned one.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    What more does one need a carbine to do? I think it's a lot better than an AK-47 from what I've seen but I've never owned one.
    A good AK with an optic and good ammo will shoot 2-3 moa. They are a lot more accurate than most people think.

User Tag List