Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini talk

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Yep. It’s been in my radar too. Right now the only 1022 I have is set up as a Liberty Training Rifle for my boys to learn on. If I come across another one I will definitely be going this way! Like I need another .22LR rifle………
    Since admitting to myself years ago that I’m a rimfire addict and fully embracing the lifestyle, the thought of building yet another 10/22 or MK series just because I’ve found a neat new part doesn’t phase me. At all.🤣.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Minor necropost because I may have done a thing. Depending on when the seller gets caught up with shipping after the holiday weekend there should be a clean, 2014 production, 583 prefix Model 5801 on it's way to my favorite FFL "Soon"™...

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The Mini 14 I want:

Name:  EF7Qtk-oEUy36y4xodzEUzHypTIdYdffCRMVqBL7Qsw.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  49.2 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The Mini 14 I want:

Name:  EF7Qtk-oEUy36y4xodzEUzHypTIdYdffCRMVqBL7Qsw.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  49.2 KB
    If I ever hit the lottery I would absolutely commission 2 of those, a 14 and a 30. Might even have them tastefully engraved.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    If I ever hit the lottery I would absolutely commission 2 of those, a 14 and a 30. Might even have them tastefully engraved.
    If we are talking lottery money, I'd just buy an HK SL6 or SL7 and call it good.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have a good buddy in SoCal. He's the best rifle shot I know. Qualified expert in the Corps back in the iron sights days, but he's always just been a lights-out rifle shooter--since we were teens with .22s to the present. He's a deputy sheriff n San Bernardino county and a huge fan of the Mini. Yes, he knows the AR is more accurate, but he's got a big soft spot for the Minis. He used one to qualify in the highest tier of an carbine class (naturally, the only Mini-14 in the class. I once watched him brain a bobcat (that I couldn't even see) from ~160 yds, resting against the A-pillar of his truck -- iron-sighted. He used it on duty for years and has taken more coyotes than I can count--though that duty has shifted to his Mini-30, about which he also raves.

Shooting fast and within 100 yds, I can stay right with him. Sometimes I think he just likes besting me/us and our ARs with his Mini, because we ALL KNOW the Mini shouldn't do that, right? Good thing I have a slight edge on him with pistol. He's insufferable enough as it is!

Thirty years ago I had an SKS and more cheap ammo than I even knew to appreciate. A (different) buddy had a Mini-14. This was back in the days before the ubiquitous $600 ARs. We'd go to the desert and blast rocks and other targets of opportunity. We shot a lot. My buddy with the Mini put thousands of rounds through his, and I can't recall a single malfunction that couldn't be attributed to a junk magazine. Back then Ruger 30s were unobtanium, bus some aftermarket mags were good, and some were trash. Very reliable, and accurate enough. Fifteen years later he had moved on to ARs and had somehow bulged the barrel near the muzzle. He gave me the Mini along with the factory stock, the Butler Creek folder, and one of those original A-Team "Falcon Folders"--at least that's what he called it. Another SBSD buddy called in a favor and a department armorer recut and crowned it to 16" and reset the front sight. I added a red dot on a scout mount and it is definitely minute of pie plate accurate and useful, for what it is. I was tempted a few years back to sell that folder, considering the outrageous prices they were demanding, but I never did. I don't have a truck gun, but if i did, that would probably be it, folded tight in a little case, with the nice factory 20s I have picked up over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    I have a good buddy in SoCal. He's the best rifle shot I know. Qualified expert in the Corps back in the iron sights days, but he's always just been a lights-out rifle shooter--since we were teens with .22s to the present. He's a deputy sheriff n San Bernardino county and a huge fan of the Mini. Yes, he knows the AR is more accurate, but he's got a big soft spot for the Minis. He used one to qualify in the highest tier of an carbine class (naturally, the only Mini-14 in the class. I once watched him brain a bobcat (that I couldn't even see) from ~160 yds, resting against the A-pillar of his truck -- iron-sighted. He used it on duty for years and has taken more coyotes than I can count--though that duty has shifted to his Mini-30, about which he also raves.

Shooting fast and within 100 yds, I can stay right with him. Sometimes I think he just likes besting me/us and our ARs with his Mini, because we ALL KNOW the Mini shouldn't do that, right? Good thing I have a slight edge on him with pistol. He's insufferable enough as it is!

Thirty years ago I had an SKS and more cheap ammo than I even knew to appreciate. A (different) buddy had a Mini-14. This was back in the days before the ubiquitous $600 ARs. We'd go to the desert and blast rocks and other targets of opportunity. We shot a lot. My buddy with the Mini put thousands of rounds through his, and I can't recall a single malfunction that couldn't be attributed to a junk magazine. Back then Ruger 30s were unobtanium, bus some aftermarket mags were good, and some were trash. Very reliable, and accurate enough. Fifteen years later he had moved on to ARs and had somehow bulged the barrel near the muzzle. He gave me the Mini along with the factory stock, the Butler Creek folder, and one of those original A-Team "Falcon Folders"--at least that's what he called it. Another SBSD buddy called in a favor and a department armorer recut and crowned it to 16" and reset the front sight. I added a red dot on a scout mount and it is definitely minute of pie plate accurate and useful, for what it is. I was tempted a few years back to sell that folder, considering the outrageous prices they were demanding, but I never did. I don't have a truck gun, but if i did, that would probably be it, folded tight in a little case, with the nice factory 20s I have picked up over the years.
    I went to the state academy select fire rifle class with an AC556. My partner and I were the only team to pass the qualification course on our first run.

@TGS the full stock version looks sharp, it would pair well with my full stock 10/22.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If we are talking lottery money, I'd just buy an HK SL6 or SL7 and call it good.
    I mean, sure if you want to get all high toned, puttin' on airs and such...

Site Supporter
    Being a Mini-14 owner due to the compliant nature of the gun here, the magazine cover posted by TGS had to amuse me.

Blazing Assault Rifle or Sleek Sporting Rifle!

The entire paradigm of long gun nomenclature, the gun culture, the bans - all one one cover.

Chris Baker needs to stay outta my head. Maybe. Possibly. Actually, I kind of like having him there...

User Tag List