Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Duty holsters for S&W revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’m personally familiar with several instances of guns list out of SLS only holsters. Line searching the brush for a lost pistol is not a good time.
    Reason number 102 why I like lanyards.

But that kinda goes with my question. Was the bail left open or did it get released by something. I've seen a lot of people reholster and leave the bail down.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I remember we talked about this previously but I'm fuzzy on the details.

What do you think that's from?

I carried a Beretta in a 6004 for a few years. From deserts to jungles, to cities and never found the hood down. I remember the training cadre sneaking around the campus at Security Forces school trying to grab guns from people who forgot to re engage the hood so I have a nervous tick to constantly touch the hood.

I've actually dumped some of my ALS holsters to go back the SLS. Mainly because it's available for revolvers a helps to keep duff from under a 1911 hammer.

I really just use them now in competitions out of nostalgia and in the woods sometimes. With a mid drop it works well with a backpack waist belt when backpacking.

Maybe how it’s carried? I’m obviously the type of rucking you did is much tougher and intense than the average American cop. I’m guessing you mostly carried it low and clear of gear. Maybe body type.

What got my hood the most was the seat belt. I guess some fat guys whose vest sticks out can have issues. Most people have no issue and never have anything bad happen with the 6280.

The 6280 I had was from 2008ish. My ALS with SLS hood has never had an issue with the hoof getting knocked down.

How tight can you get the retention on the 6280 by adjusting the retention screw?

Sorry for any typos. In Mexico City traffic sitting in the back of a car.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Maybe how it’s carried? I’m obviously the type of rucking you did is much tougher and intense than the average American cop. I’m guessing you mostly carried it low and clear of gear. Maybe body type.

What got my hood the most was the seat belt. I guess some fat guys whose vest sticks out can have issues. Most people have no issue and never have anything bad happen with the 6280.

The 6280 I had was from 2008ish. My ALS with SLS hood has never had an issue with the hoof getting knocked down.

How tight can you get the retention on the 6280 by adjusting the retention screw?

Sorry for any typos. In Mexico City traffic sitting in the back of a car.
    I can see seatbelts and sitting in the car compressing it and it unclicking. Or getting released when unbuckling.

My examples can be VERY tight with just the screw.

When I was in most of us had one of the leg straps removed off the thigh mount and as high as possible. But it's still lower than the rigid belt mount.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverJIM View Post
    Who makes the best duty type holsters and speed loader holders for S&W revolvers (686)?
    Beyond those already listed, few if any makers are still producing revolver duty holsters, simply because few carry revolvers on duty anymore.

You might search through here and find that he has something on hand that will fit the bill for you:

https://vintagegunleathertoday.com/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Reason number 102 why I like lanyards.

But that kinda goes with my question. Was the bail left open or did it get released by something. I've seen a lot of people reholster and leave the bail down.
    Getting in and out of vehicles, going through brush country etc I’ve seen get released by stuff. Especially when they get a bit worn.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverJIM View Post
    Who makes the best duty type holsters and speed loader holders for S&W revolvers (686)?
    Safariland still makes the model 200 thumb break holster for revolvers is level 1 retention is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I think the 6820 is a good holster for certain applications, but I would not feel comfortable with one one patrol. Heard of a gun being lost out of it, and I know someone personally who lost a gun out of it in a fight. Got up to pull his gun and it was on the ground.

The 6280 that I was issued never gave me confidence in the retention department. Often I would find the hood down.
    In the past you could buy an SLS guard (not the hood guard) that increased retention.

It was a well built holster and I think there are roles for it.
    I had an issue with my external carrier knocking my hood open on my 6280, I added the hood guard and it never happened again for the 2 1/2 -3 years after that I carried it and it didn’t interfere with my draw at all.
    https://safariland.com/products/mode...g-system-19853

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    I had an issue with my external carrier knocking my hood open on my 6280, I added the hood guard and it never happened again for the 2 1/2 -3 years after that I carried it and it didn’t interfere with my draw at all.
    That’s true, and it does make a difference. It’s uncomfortable to me, but if I were going to carry a 6280, I would use it without question.

Everything is trade off.

Speaking of front breaks, isn’t an issue with them that they are not super secure compared to something like an 070?

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    I had the same issue with bulky winter coats. I use the hood guards, but trim them down a bit so they are not like an elephant's ear hanging over the holster.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    maybe AE Nelson? They do some break front duty holsters for K, L and N frame smiths.

http://www.nelsonleather.com

User Tag List