Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RMR has introduced a new version of their 9mm Hollowpoint Bullet

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    The most interesting aspect of the RMR is that a relatively small company is able to produce reliably expanding JHPs for 1 penny more then basic FMJ:

Which really highlights the rather brutal price difference we see in retail JHP vs FMJ ammo.

If a company came out with Bulk JHPs that were ~10 cents more then FMJ per 1k (ie $300 for 1k FMJ, $400 for 1k JHP) they would make a killing, as there would be a tremendous market with little competition. I'm hoping we see PSA's ammo division take that up.
    Reliably expanding under what conditions?

There is a lot of research and development that goes into modern duty in defense of ammo. But let’s assume you’re premise is accurate.

Retail pricing for duty in self-defense ammo in 20 and 25 round boxes is expensive. However even buying in bulk at agency or government contract pricing duty ammo is noticeably more expensive than FMJ training ammo. The main reason for that is not the cost of the projectile but rather the level of quality control that goes into factory duty or self-defense ammunition. I see quite a bit of both duty and training ammo go down range and it is extremely rare to see a defective or non-firing duty round from speer or Hornady.

Conversely we see a much higher rate of defective rounds or rounds which failed to fire in both spear and Winchester training lines.

As with guns and gun parts you get the level of quality control and reject rate that you are willing to pay for.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I would strongly recommend not overthinking the performance of bullets with regard to their ability to incapacitate a human target. It really doesn't matter that much.

Good hollowpoint by good manufacturer will get the job done, anything from DocGKR's list is fine

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I think I still have some of their old stuff laying around. Originally their house brand was made by Zero, I think, then they started making their own but in 125gr. IIRC it didn't expand very well and was probably better suited for .357 sig.
    It might be fun, just for the data set, to gel test the NUKE, the Berry's hybrid and the Zero. Maybe also in 380 or 45 or something other than 9mm. Also a GT cast hollow point.

$$$$ is all that's needed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List