Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RMR has introduced a new version of their 9mm Hollowpoint Bullet

RMR has introduced a new version of their 9mm Hollowpoint Bullet

It it performs as it it ought to, this could be a really good thing. I need to load some 124 gr in 9mm and 357 SIG and see how they hold up.

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bull...-jhp-mpr-nuke/

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bull...-jhp-mpr-nuke/

Now all I need is more free time to do these things.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    They apparently are not up to speed on avoiding giving prosecutors and plf attorneys hooks to hang you with. Coulda done better than naming it NUKE.

Also, I could do without the smiley face and politics on these:

https://www.rmrbullets.com/product-c...lter_cat_1=206
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    They apparently are not up to speed on avoiding giving prosecutors and plf attorneys hooks to hang you with. Coulda done better than naming it NUKE.

Also, I could do without the smiley face and politics on these:

https://www.rmrbullets.com/product-c...lter_cat_1=206
    Anyone hand loading self defense ammo in this day and age is asking for trouble.

Prosecutors and plaintiffs attorneys spinning things in court aside there are some solid reasons not to handload self-defense ammo.

The first is that no matter how good you think your reloads are the quality control for major manufacturers premium duty in self-defense ammo is very good and you were unlikely to equal it much less beat it. That means more reliable ammo for you and loads that have been extensively vetted and tested for performance.

The second is that no matter what notes etc. you keep no one is going to try to duplicate your hand loads for things like ballistic testing etc. for use in a criminal or civil court case.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm definitely on board with all that. Assuming you're going to get a proctological exam, as DB says, I don't even like the idea of having the smiley and liberal tears bullets on hand. I understand the need to differentiate them from .355 bullets, but I could have gone with a dot, star, etc.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I kinda like the Smilie bullet since it’s a target design, the Tears are not my style.

I imagine RMR is hoping the “Nuke” gets enough positive reviews from handloaders that some boutique ammo company picks it up as an alternative to the mainstream manufacturers bullets. The name may be a poor choice.

I picked up some 124 Nukes a few weeks ago but haven't tried them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Anyone hand loading self defense ammo in this day and age is asking for trouble.

Prosecutors and plaintiffs attorneys spinning things in court aside there are some solid reasons not to handload self-defense ammo.

The first is that no matter how good you think your reloads are the quality control for major manufacturers premium duty in self-defense ammo is very good and you were unlikely to equal it much less beat it. That means more reliable ammo for you and loads that have been extensively vetted and tested for performance.

The second is that no matter what notes etc. you keep no one is going to try to duplicate your hand loads for things like ballistic testing etc. for use in a criminal or civil court case.
    This comes up in conversation several times a year on forums. Has there ever been a situation where this has actually happened in the thousands of SD shootings?

I carry factory loadings in my pistols but I have loaded and carried ammo that could be used for SD in both my pistols and rifles. If you you need to defend your life because it is in immediate danger, the ammo that you use shouldn't be a factor. Carry what is best for stopping the threat and minimizing the danger to others.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I make every effort to load my ammo so that it could be used for SD if necessary. That is not my actual goal, of course, and as long as I have two nickels er..., twenty dollar bills to rub together, I will always use the best rated factory ammo I can find.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    It is moderately ironic that there are folks on this forum who still walk thru life saying "please kick me in the junk, please take me, I am making myself low hanging fruit"- i.e. seriously contemplating reloading their own defensive ammo when they have the money to buy the exact same stuff stuff that xyz agency is using or has used with a modicum of success and reliability. Their defense/response is something along the line of- " show me where somebody using (homemade ammo, having a "look at the flash" bushing, punisher skull etc. on a rifle ) was an issue in a lawsuit/criminal case.

I posted on a related issue here in 2017 and on a closed forum 10+ years ago. I still stand by the following:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Firearm/page10

"Fellow [PFers], as a practicing atty for the better part of 25 (30 yrs now) years and a prosecutor for 20 (25 years now) of those, I would offer the following:

Not being able to find reported cases is not the same thing as the modified gun issue (home-made defensive ammo ) being a detriment to the shooter/help to the shooter issue having not reared its head in both the criminal and civil contexts.

The vast majority of both civil and criminal cases are settled or plead out. In many civil cases, there are non disclosure agreements.

Most criminal cases are resolved via plea. Most of those receive very little press and the press they receive is often mistaken regarding key issues within the matter.

Even when a case goes to trial, many of them are not appealed such that their results are not "reported". Therefore, no easily searchable legal database (Lexis or Westlaw) has the results. Even when a case is appealed, many of them are not "reported" to those same legal publishers again making finding out what happened in those cases very difficult.

In short, it is only a small fraction of civil and criminal cases that actually go all the way thru appeal and have their results " reported or published". Even in those cases, they were often selected and indexed based on other specific points of law ( i.e. search and seizure, instructions to a jury on lesser included offense i.e. manslaughter in a homicide case, errors in jury selection/composition etc, general sufficiency of the evidence etc. ) such that there may be little or no mention of how a "gun modification" fit into the larger case."

To quote Stephanie B in the 2017 thread I linked:

"I would not do that shit if I was you."
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

How many billable hours would need to be spent discussing this choice in court?

What expert witness would need to be brought in to justify this choice? How much would that cost?

If you don't know or can't answer the above, you should probably ask:

Is the box of Gold Dots more expensive?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    How many billable hours would need to be spent discussing this choice in court?

What expert witness would need to be brought in to justify this choice? How much would that cost?

If you don't know or can't answer the above, you should probably ask:

Is the box of Gold Dots more expensive?
    I'm not here to argue whether you should or shouldn't.

Similar concerns could be made about a plethora of other things. Do you train often to shoot 5 shots in 1.3 seconds? Should you only take one shot to maim or are five justified?

Why are you carrying 17 rounds of super +P whack-a-bad-dude bullets instead of just stun them FMJ or pepper spray?

How about we talk about reloading ammo in the Reloading section and take the arguments about legalities somewhere else?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List